General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

What paint to use?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2003
I sure wish my car was newer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
white2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of light
What paint to use?

I'm planning on getting a 2 or 3 gauge pod from tornactive, my interior is tan, but the pod only comes in black. I figure that a black pod on a tan A-pillar would look sort of ghetto... So what process should I go through to paint it (sanding, priming, painting, finishing,) what brand/type of paint should I use, and where do I get this type of paint? Thanks guys!
Old 03-29-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SiGuy is an unknown quantity at this point
THE BEST THING TO DO IS FIND A LOCAL BODY SHOP OR PAINT SUPPLIER TO MIX UP SOME CUSTOM AUTOMOTIVE PAINT. AUTOMOTIVE PAINT HAS A SATIN TYPE OF FINISH WHEN PROPERLY APPLIED.

TAKE A PIECE OF INTERIOR TRIM THAT IS THE COLOR YOU WANT TO MATCH AND GET THEM TO MIX UP SOME PAINT THAT CLOSELY RESEMBLES THE COLOR. DON'T TEST ON A SPOT THAT MAY BE VISIBLE LATER ON. IF YOU USE THE ORIGINAL PILLAR COVER TEST ON THE BACK.

FOR BEST RESULTS, DON'T GO BY THE MIXED COLOR, ALLOW THE PAINT TO DRY, SOME PAINTS GET LIGHTER OR DARKER DEPENDING ON THE BASES USED TO TINT THE ORIGINAL COLOR.

WHEN APPLYING, I USE AN AIRBRUSH. AND YES I HAVE DONE SEVERAL OF THESE. I USUALLY APPLY SEVERAL LIGHT COATS........ APPLYING MORE PAINT GIVES YOU A GLOSSIER FINISH, LESS PAINT A DULL FINISH. DEPENDING ON THE AMOUT OF ARMORALL YOU USE YOU MAY WANT A GLOSSIER FINISH. ITS UP TP YOU.

REMEMBER TO USE REDUCER, THIS MAKES THE PAINT EASIER TO APPLY AND THE REDUCER ACTS AS A GLUE, SOMETHING LIKE THE PLASTIC CEMENT USED ON PLASTIC MODELS AND HELPS THE PAINT STICK TO THE GUAGE POD. fOR THOSE OF YOU THAT ARE MODLE BUILDERS, REDUCER IS A CHEAP AND EFFECTIVE SUBSTITUTE!

YOU CAN ALSO PAINT THE TINY LITTLE PUSH PINS THAT HOLD THE POD IN PLACE. I USUALLY TAPE THEM AROUND THE TOP OF A POP CAN WITH THE HEAD EXPOSED. IT MAY TAKE SOME PRACTICE BUT I THINK ALMOST ANYONE COULD DO IT.

ANY MORE QUESTIONS JUST ASK!
Old 03-29-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SiGuy is an unknown quantity at this point
Oh I almost forgot! NEVER NEVER SAND THE POD! you will get a cracking effect if you do and it looks like crap. Take some rubbing alcohol and clean paper towel and wipe down the pod. During molding of the piece there are release agents that may be oil based still left on the part. Also clean your hands with soap and water to prevent your skin's natural oils from contaminating the pod. This prevents paint things like fish-eyes and bleeding. Then just spray it on!