General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

fuel tech questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PatrickB is an unknown quantity at this point
fuel tech questions

ok So I have a couple of questions. What does the returneless fuel system do to make it so hard to turbo the civic? Can you adjust fuel ratios with a piggy back fuel system? like greddy e-manage or s-afc etc etc. If you can then you could run larger injectors in the civic correct? Then why are companies having trouble turboing the civic? Just some questions I am gathering knowledge of the 2k1 civic my best friend owns one and we will be attempting the kit. The mechanical part putting the kit on doesn't scare me. However the ecu and proper fuel does. Any knowledge or where to go read about how it works would be great.
Old 02-18-2003
Registered!!

2001civ is an unknown quantity at this point
It's hard because you don't have that extra fuel on hand when you need it for something like a turbo. That return line allows for extra fuel to be sent but if not used just sent back. So returnless means no extra fuel. Companies aren't really having a hard time doing it, they are having a hard time doing it legally. the returnless fuel line is part of how the 7th gens got their ULEV rating(cuts way down on vapor lose), you can't just get rid of that rating. you still have to pass emissions. You could try the piggy back sysytems like that but those system are only good for small ajustments, like I believe the s-afc is and 8 point one. NOT the quality you would want to run a turbo. and even if you did do that it's pretty limited. Your best bet is what most people are doing, waiting for a hondata or someone to come out with a real fuel managment system. once that happens I'm sure you will see a lot more turbos. then you can get bigger injectors, increase fuel pressure....all that stuff.
Old 02-18-2003
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: 2001civ
It's hard because you don't have that extra fuel on hand when you need it for something like a turbo. That return line allows for extra fuel to be sent but if not used just sent back. So returnless means no extra fuel. Companies aren't really having a hard time doing it, they are having a hard time doing it legally. the returnless fuel line is part of how the 7th gens got their ULEV rating(cuts way down on vapor lose), you can't just get rid of that rating. you still have to pass emissions. You could try the piggy back sysytems like that but those system are only good for small ajustments, like I believe the s-afc is and 8 point one. NOT the quality you would want to run a turbo. and even if you did do that it's pretty limited. Your best bet is what most people are doing, waiting for a hondata or someone to come out with a real fuel managment system. once that happens I'm sure you will see a lot more turbos. then you can get bigger injectors, increase fuel pressure....all that stuff.[hr]
well the e-manage can control a full 16x16 fuel map. thats an awsome fuel managment. And probably could make ur car idle right with 550cc injectors in it. thats no problem. however does it work at all with the ecu is more my question.

edit : btw it can also control extra injectors retard the timing and you can save maps. also can change vtec engagment.
Old 02-18-2003
Registered!!

Intruder is an unknown quantity at this point
One other thing is neither one of those devices, to my knowledge, has the capability to vary the fuel map with boost. I am almost certain they can only change the mixture according to rpm's....
Old 02-18-2003
Registered!!

correct rpms and throttle position. boost is really irrelevent. u can't just plug in a psi number and expect it to work right. psi really has nothing to do with it.
Old 02-19-2003
Registered!!

any knowledge on this ppl?