General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

ported, polished, decked question

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cdmx will become famous soon enoughcdmx will become famous soon enough
ported, polished, decked question

I know what ported and polished is, but what do they mean when they say "decked"?

Also on the topic of ported and polished, will this make a difference in our vics?
Old 02-17-2003
Registered!!

BooHa is an unknown quantity at this point
well, I kinda know what ported and polished means. I can't explain real well. But that's a good question about "decked".
Old 02-17-2003
Registered!!

speed werx is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: cdmx
I know what ported and polished is, but what do they mean when they say "decked"?

Also on the topic of ported and polished, will this make a difference in our vics?[hr]
decked is when they shave off material from the underside of the head to raise the compression. resulting in more power [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 02-17-2003
Registered!!

VTECHUNTER is an unknown quantity at this point
nowto explain it a little more, take your head off of the car, and machine the bottom of it to take off material. then when you put the head back on the combus. chamber is smaller from the top of the piston head to the bottom of the head, sence the head is closer now because there is less material, the compression ratio is much higher. if you want LESS compression, you can put in a bigger head gasket which will raise the head furter off the block thus, lower compression. port and polish is simple, when the head is off, the air comes in, goes through the intake tubes and thgouh the vales into the combustion chamber. to make more power you want as much air as possible to enter the chamber smoothly. you can buy a port and polish kit from most perforamance shops....its basickly snadpaper wound around a metal rod....when you put the rod into a drill/dremol hit the power button and the sandpaper will expand into the chambers, you must go slow, and chekc your work....you want the "tunnels" in the head to be bigger......not to hard, you can port and polish at home in your living room if you want....decking must be done in a machine shop....unless you have accress to cnc machinary. any questions email me at brianchrencik@yahoo.com i ported and polished my last motor. very easy and pulled 5 ponies out of it!( it was a d18a9)[IMG]i/expressions/demon.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-05-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

runner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to all
Is decked necessarily, or is it best just ot port and polish?
Old 03-06-2003
Registered!!

greg2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
There's been a lot said and written in mags with regards to polishing your head and it really not being the best thing. All the bumps within the chambers create the desired airflow/turbulence which has been designed into it..Be careful when you decide who is going to start polishing
Old 03-06-2003
Registered!!

Barney should not be trustedBarney should not be trustedBarney should not be trusted
Before some of you get yor hopes up:

Port and polish is good. I recieved 5 hp aswell.

Decking the head is for all motor setups. It is bad for a turbo setup.

Brevard Cylinder Head
Merritt island , Florida

They port and polished my head and put bigger and stonger manley valves. They are the ones who sleeved my block before I got my turbo setup. The pic in my sig is before the turbo was put on.

Later, Phil