General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

dual intake?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BaNgCiViC2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
dual intake?

I have a shortram aem intake, and i have a spare filter sitting around. My plan is to get sum kind of splitter at the end of the aem intake, then run 2 tubes down where the cold air intake would be.

more hp?
same hp ?
less hp?
Old 02-02-2003
Registered!!

CivicRicer02 is an unknown quantity at this point
waste of time and money
Old 02-02-2003
Registered!!

Wanger is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: CivicRicer02
waste of time and money[hr]
word
Old 02-02-2003
Registered!!

OmegaBlue2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
RETARD POST *****!!!!!

He asked for some answers to his questions, not to YOUR OPINION. If you plan on posting at least give facts to why its a waste of time and money or dont act like an azz by posting crap.

As far as your question, my best guess is there will be minimal HP changes, if any. BUT on the upside of having 2 filters for air flow into your engine, throttle responce may be slightly improved due to less restrictions. Let me give an example, we installed a K&N FIPK intake system on my dads vette, did it increase horsepower significantly, probably not. Did it increase throttle responce and acceleration, most definitely. And no it was not the shock effect of having a new toy on the car. Timed runs showed increased acceleration to 60mph, and much much better idle, not nearly as much vibration as a stock setup produces. We then installed a performance MAF sensor and after letting the car idle to adjust went out again, and once again, massive improvements in acceleration and engine vibration. Once again though, probably not as much horsepower as we assume. Between these 2 mods there is an expected gain of about 30 or 40 engine horsepower, but on an 350+ stock horsepower engine, this number is minimal.

I would say to go ahead and try it out, the worst that could happen is you waste a weekend on a project that ended up not working out. Sell the parts off, and cut your losses, but my guess is the work will be beneficial, even if it is minimal.
Old 02-02-2003
Registered!!

born2xLr8 will become famous soon enough
[hr]Originally posted by: OmegaBlue2k1
RETARD POST *****!!!!!

He asked for some answers to his questions, not to YOUR OPINION. If you plan on posting at least give facts to why its a waste of time and money or dont act like an azz by posting crap.[hr]
That was a little over the top.[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-nono.gif[/IMG]
I don't have tons of experience in this area like Omega seemed to have but I don't think you will get any significant gains. That's just IMO.
Old 02-02-2003
Registered!!

dmak is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: OmegaBlue2k1
RETARD POST *****!!!!!

He asked for some answers to his questions, not to YOUR OPINION. If you plan on posting at least give facts to why its a waste of time and money or dont act like an azz by posting crap.[hr]
well....there is always azz like that....maybe they just want to have more posts or whatever

anywayz, i don't think u can get lot of power out of that, but imo it's good to try if u have the time
good luck
Old 02-02-2003
Registered!!

Vesper is an unknown quantity at this point
settle down bevis
Old 02-02-2003
Life Begins > 6800rpms
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
on a more technical note, you wont notice any additional power so it might be a waste of your time. ive seen dual filters on an 00 si and he had them placed right behind the bumper for a ram air effect. The intake noise increased but he said that he felt a little more top end and a loss in the low. If you want some real power, Id wait for the AEM CAI V2; according to SCC, it dynoed a +16hp gain and +14lbs on a 96-00 civic dx (at least thats what was printed)
Old 02-02-2003
Registered!!

im pretty good off the line i think i can make up for the low end, at top end speed thats when i usually get passed and if it increases top end why not, worth a try, also interested in the louder noise hah
Old 02-02-2003
Registered!!

CivicRicer02 is an unknown quantity at this point
lol [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-nono.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-nono.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-nono.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-nono.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-nono.gif[/IMG] lets not be a rebal now
Old 02-02-2003
Registered!!

Baghead is an unknown quantity at this point
im not a rebel...i sat through 3rd grade english class [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 02-02-2003
Registered!!

sc1golfr is an unknown quantity at this point
You mean like this?
Old 02-02-2003
Registered!!

Em2Guy is an unknown quantity at this point
there it is
Old 02-03-2003
Registered!!

Um yea sort of but i wanted to make them both cai if possible lol.. How does he have 3 intakes? he has the shortram with the dual intakes on teh end and in teh other pic he has a intake behind teh tire?
Old 02-03-2003
O RLY
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

S2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to behold
you will lose power. eventually it all comes back down to the bottle neck of the one pipe.

plus the fact that aftermarket pipes are shaped in such a way they create resonant pulses to help force air into the manifold and help up the HP.
Old 02-03-2003
Registered!!

Baghead is an unknown quantity at this point
you'd need 2 tb
Old 02-03-2003
Registered!!

DathAnEteRnaLbBLuE is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice idea, but its not really worth it, me and my team have tried it, It does make your car sound aggressive as sh*t though, but not to big affect of horsies, throtle response yes and accelaration is a bit smoother. After a few different ideas, this one works best, we chopped up the stock air box and made a bok that feeds air into the intake filter but the ox was filled with dry ice, with a liberal amount of space to make sure no moisture got onto the cone but the mist and fog from the dry ice kept the intake incedibly cool so we got about 5 extra horses on the 2k1 not a lot but not bad for a SOHC we are now trying it on our DOHC's to compare and contrast. Hope this has been helpful, its a lot of fun to create and play with.
Dathan
Old 02-03-2003
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light

[hr]Originally posted by: Wanger
word[hr]
many people say it would be a waste of time modding the civic to begine with. not true tho!

its true you may not get any power gains, and in fact lose a bunch of power. if that is your goal, then yes, its very possible this will be a waste of time and money.

however! gettign the most power you possibly can ISNT always everyones main goal! If youve ever read much of the ICE forum, you know that 90% of what i do is a "waste of time and money" on any sort of performance ideal.

thats not why i do what i do!

what abotu teh engineering standpoint? what abotu teh fabrication? this sounds like an AWESOME project! because of the power potential? no! because of the potential to learn more about fabrication techniques, to learn how to better yoru own knowledge of how cars work, how you can put in your little bits.

Think abotu Gey's car. how much of it is a waste of time and money? the answer is a whole BOATload. but he knows, as well as i do, that waste isnt about power, its about self education! take his aluminum valve cover. does that make his car look better? cant see it from my house. does that advance his own ability to work with aluminum sheeting? you bet it does.

why not do it? might not get you any powe,r but it WILL give you a bettter idea how to work (or purchase) metal tubing, so when you do a bigger project, like, say a custom turbo manifold [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG] the project doesnt seem so daunting. you already know like half teh project because of stupid stuff like this you did in teh past!

i say this is an excelent project well worth doing!
Old 02-03-2003
Registered!!

DathAnEteRnaLbBLuE is an unknown quantity at this point
a little side note, with money you can do anything you want.
me and guys are still adding ideas about the dual intake thing but the only thing we couldnt try, because of MONEY!!!!! is getting individual throttle bodies<-------expensive I am not sure if they have that for the 7th gen just yet though but there is something you could work off of, if you do the let me know how your turn out was and I could shoot you a few helpful hints on what else you can do to gain something out of it. That whole waist of time and money....... thats crap you need time and money to support your ideas, if anyone here has ever seen my 2k1 or knows about it, they can tell you about the intake that i did, I spanked other EX's with no problem and you could actually hear the Vtec kick in, I dont think I waisted my time or my money because I gained something from it just by using my noodle!!! and if his project works out for him who wouldnt want it?
Good Luck on your project------you have my support bro
Dathan