General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

HEADLIGHT DIFFUSER??

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2003
Civicforums Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of light
HEADLIGHT DIFFUSER??

What would happen if I took out the diffuser from the inside of the headlight??

Old 01-31-2003
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
injencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of light
they wouldnt work

INJEN
Old 02-10-2003
Civicforums Junkie

FALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of light
Why not??

Old 02-10-2003
Registered!!

slikor is an unknown quantity at this point
the light from the headlight bulb would probably ruin the beam pattern and possibly blind oncoming traffic. in other words, it would serve NO purpose and is not a good idea.
Old 02-11-2003
Civicforums Junkie

My sport bike didn't have diffusers in the assembly and nobody 'flashed' me with those...??

Old 02-11-2003
Registered!!

slikor is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, thats probably because they were designed to work without them, plus the different types of bulbs use different type of headlight setups often.
Old 02-11-2003
Civicforums Junkie

'Different types of bulbs'...They were H4's...??

Old 02-11-2003
Registered!!

pinoyVTi is an unknown quantity at this point
the philippine release of the civic did not come with diffusers.
Old 02-11-2003
Civicforums Junkie

[hr]Originally posted by: pinoyVTi
the philippine release of the civic did not come with diffusers.[hr]

hmmmm

Old 02-21-2003
Civicforums Junkie

Does anybody else have any insight on this??
Old 02-21-2003
Registered!!

bluericeburna2k2 will become famous soon enoughbluericeburna2k2 will become famous soon enough
yea over the summer i was int he philippines and i wanted to get cleared FACTORY headlights over there so i didnt have to clear mine. but when i looked at it they didnt have reflectors over the bulbs. so i didnt get the headlights over there. BICOL!!!!
Old 02-21-2003
Civicforums Junkie

[hr]Originally posted by: bluericeburna2k2
yea over the summer i was int he philippines and i wanted to get cleared FACTORY headlights over there so i didnt have to clear mine. but when i looked at it they didnt have reflectors over the bulbs. so i didnt get the headlights over there. BICOL!!!![hr]

but they aren't 'reflectors' they are diffusers...i'm thinking that without them, they would be even brighter...

Old 02-23-2003
Registered!!

bluericeburna2k2 will become famous soon enoughbluericeburna2k2 will become famous soon enough
[hr]Originally posted by: FALKEN
[hr]Originally posted by: bluericeburna2k2
yea over the summer i was int he philippines and i wanted to get cleared FACTORY headlights over there so i didnt have to clear mine. but when i looked at it they didnt have reflectors over the bulbs. so i didnt get the headlights over there. BICOL!!!![hr]

but they aren't 'reflectors' they are diffusers...i'm thinking that without them, they would be even brighter...[hr]
if the diffusers are taken out it wont be brighter it would be spread out more and not as concentrated. kinda like strobe lights at parties and clubs. they are an open bulb wiht a reflector behind it
Old 11-28-2009
Registered!!

GriN is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: HEADLIGHT DIFFUSER??

The diffusers catch the "direct beam" from the bulb and throws it back to the silver reflector behind it. When light is thrown to that dome shaped reflector, it does give you a more even distribution of light intensity when the light comes out of the lenses. Removing the diffuser would give you a more concentrated beam, but that's not good. This beam so concentrated that it would look like you are in high beam all the time. This blinds other motorists (especially ones coming towards you)... Many detailing shops recommend removing them when you have your first headlight and lenses detailing. They say this burns the silver reflector and would just make the housing of your head light ugly after some time, which is true, but you would not wish to be that driver that gives others a hard-time on the road. Regarding the newer civics that do not have diffusers, notice that the head lights are much bigger or wider. The design of that assembly is to give you the "spread-out" effect without the use of a diffuser. Now if your car came with that little thing, I do suggest to keep it there.
Old 11-28-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i really dont think it has anything to do with the beam pattern. its an old bulb cover that used to be needed in the past to shield the front of the bulb from being seen by other drivers. but every modern bulb produced today already has a coating sprayed onto the tip of the bulb to block glare. so the shields are essentially useless, except maybe for looks (covering the bulb from being seen). they do not do anything with reflecting light, in fact most of those covers are black on the reverse side. the beam pattern is produced solely by the computer designed, chrome reflector. in fact the 01+ civic jdm headlights do not have the diffuser at all.
Old 11-28-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
i really dont think it has anything to do with the beam pattern. its an old bulb cover that used to be needed in the past to shield the front of the bulb from being seen by other drivers. but every modern bulb produced today already has a coating sprayed onto the tip of the bulb to block glare. so the shields are essentially useless, except maybe for looks (covering the bulb from being seen). they do not do anything with reflecting light, in fact most of those covers are black on the reverse side. the beam pattern is produced solely by the computer designed, chrome reflector. in fact the 01+ civic jdm headlights do not have the diffuser at all.
Yes, you are absolutely right. I have a 97 civic and I searched for my stock bulbs, they do not have the painted tips, thus the need of a diffuser. When I was using the stock bulbs and one of the diffusers popped-off, it was a flashing-war with incoming traffic My bulbs right now are all-weather bulbs with painted tips, tried to remove the diffusers and observe the light pattern, and you are right, no difference at all... My last post was true only if you are using the old bulbs...
Old 11-29-2009
Registered!!

a quick update... I just got flashed by most of the incoming traffic (im using the new bulbs with coatings on their tips) I guess they do help reduce the glare... Now i'm confused to what is the difference between the new headlight assemblies of today that do not require these diffusers compared to the older ones X_X
Old 11-29-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

if you changed bulbs, did you adjust the headlight aim? because it will always change a bit since no two bulbs are exactly the same. one or both sides may have just been too high. otherwise i do not see how a diffuser would reduce glare if the bulb tip is painted already. this is oem honda jdm headlight from japan. every halogen headlamp in usa has "some" glare so that you can see roadsigns. but this is part of the beam pattern, made by the reflector.

here is the jdm light on a members car, notice no diffusers

and pic of the output. ofcourse the cutoff is much better than usa headlights because they have higher standards overseas. also these are for right-hand-drive so the flare goes to the left. would not work in usa since every car would be blinded. but glare above cutoff line is hardly noticable, even without bulb diffusers. everything is made by the rear reflector around the bulb. so its possible maybe usa lamps are so badly made, the use of a diffuser is still needed to control excessive glare.

Last edited by gearbox; 11-29-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11-29-2009
Registered!!

Thank you gearbox... will be adjusting the aim of them lamps and see if that gives me a different reaction on the road. Will be painting my assemblies housing tomorow and I will do the needed adjustments along the way.
Old 11-29-2009
Premium Member

you should do an indoor test if you have the lights apart, with or without the diffuser. its possible some glare is being blocked from the sides too, not just the front.
Old 11-29-2009
Registered!!

yes, once again you got that right. The shape of the diffuser does not only block light from the front, but also on both sides of the bulb. Will post photo results of the indoor test soon.
Old 11-29-2009
Premium Member

yeah at first i thought it only covered the front of the bulb, but when i looked closely at the diffuser, it actually had side fins too. so for usa vehicles, i would say leave the diffuser on.