General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Apexi' VAFC update

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wanger is an unknown quantity at this point
Apexi' VAFC update

just wanted to update all of you on that nasty engine light problem.

i called Apexi last friday and the tech i spoke to told me that our civics have this new fuel correction deal during cold starts and the vafc (with their current wiring diagram) is not hooked up to bypass that. therefore the engine light pops up and limits the rpm to 4000. They're whole R&D team is working on the 7thgen right now to create a fix. so i asked "What will the fix be? and how long?" he says that the fix will be a new wiring diagram and settings, and he couldn't give me an ETA on it but it will happen for sure. He also told me to keep the VAFC and use it as a SAFC for now and wait for the fix cause it'll be well worth it. although i could return the thing, blah blah blah. So there you have it, he told me to keep checking their website once in awhile for the update so i'm going to do just that.

if any of you have any further updates/fixes/fustrations, please feel free to share.
Old 01-29-2003
Registered!!

triryche is an unknown quantity at this point
The problem is how and where the cables of the VAFC connects to the ECU. The illustration of a diagram or pics would be perfect for correct this problem. Pics of the ECU wiring Please

mrdan4548 from grandpraire says that he having a correct installation and setting:

I just wanted everyone to know that my friend installed my vafc today and the check engine light came on but i was reading through the instruction manual and made sure that the vtm blue wire that came from the ecu was cut going towards the car. So the vtm wire from the vafc went to the ecu directly. I also made sure that after the light came on i resetted the vafc and the ecu. Then i turned the car to on and set the following: 6in6out, 4cyl arrow up, h-l=5000 l-h=4900 thats all i did then i turned the car off and then turned it back on and let it idle for awhile. I then drove it around and reved it til the vtec kicked in which is soo awesome because u can actually feel it pull. And yet still no check engine light. Its been acouple hours and i drove it for about 45 mins and still no light, and tommorow im gonna go get it dynotuned so i hope that that helps. Oh and make sure that you follow the directions when i says to put the brown wire closer to the ecu do it, same goes for red closer to ecu than orange. I hope that this sheds some light on this matter. If yall would like ill post some pics tommorow. stay tuned

Try and reply me if this is correct
Old 01-29-2003
Registered!!

misio4 is an unknown quantity at this point
I talked to them yesterday and the tech told me that the solution to the problem should be out during Feb.
My friend had that happen to him last week. While driving he couldn't pass 3500 RPM and in went down as low as the last line so about 100 or so RPM. Weird

Later
Old 01-29-2003
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: triryche
The problem is how and where the cables of the VAFC connects to the ECU. The illustration of a diagram or pics would be perfect for correct this problem. Pics of the ECU wiring Please

mrdan4548 from grandpraire says that he having a correct installation and setting:

I just wanted everyone to know that my friend installed my vafc today and the check engine light came on but i was reading through the instruction manual and made sure that the vtm blue wire that came from the ecu was cut going towards the car. So the vtm wire from the vafc went to the ecu directly. I also made sure that after the light came on i resetted the vafc and the ecu. Then i turned the car to on and set the following: 6in6out, 4cyl arrow up, h-l=5000 l-h=4900 thats all i did then i turned the car off and then turned it back on and let it idle for awhile. I then drove it around and reved it til the vtec kicked in which is soo awesome because u can actually feel it pull. And yet still no check engine light. Its been acouple hours and i drove it for about 45 mins and still no light, and tommorow im gonna go get it dynotuned so i hope that that helps. Oh and make sure that you follow the directions when i says to put the brown wire closer to the ecu do it, same goes for red closer to ecu than orange. I hope that this sheds some light on this matter. If yall would like ill post some pics tommorow. stay tuned

Try and reply me if this is correct[hr]

i have tried this method and it does not work, because there are actually 3 different vtm wires that needs to be connected for the vafc to completely "fool" the system. this info is straight from Apexi'.
Old 01-29-2003
Registered!!

iluvbritney is an unknown quantity at this point
pic wiring
Old 01-29-2003
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: iluvbritney
pic wiring[hr]
goto www.apexi-usa.com to get the vafc manual in pdf format, i wired it exactly like the diagram they have on there.... but apexi recently took down the ecu diagram for the 2001 civic.
Old 01-31-2003
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: Wanger
[hr]Originally posted by: iluvbritney
pic wiring[hr]
goto www.apexi-usa.com to get the vafc manual in pdf format, i wired it exactly like the diagram they have on there.... but apexi recently took down the ecu diagram for the 2001 civic.[hr]
I suppose that the diagram refers to that we can install the v-afc as s-afc (non-vtec). What you think?
Old 01-31-2003
Registered!!

goto www.apexi-usa.com to get the vafc manual in pdf format, i wired it exactly like the diagram they have on there.... but apexi recently took down the ecu diagram for the 2001 civic.[hr][/QUOTE]

I suppose that the diagram refers to that we can install the v-afc as s-afc (non-vtec). What you think?[hr][/QUOTE]

It's correct. The V-AFC manual in Apexi-usa.com says:

S-AFC Honda/Acura
01 + Civic, 03+ Civic Si, 02+ RSX
Old 01-31-2003
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: triryche
goto www.apexi-usa.com to get the vafc manual in pdf format, i wired it exactly like the diagram they have on there.... but apexi recently took down the ecu diagram for the 2001 civic.[hr]
I suppose that the diagram refers to that we can install the v-afc as s-afc (non-vtec). What you think?[hr][/QUOTE]

It's correct. The V-AFC manual in Apexi-usa.com says:

S-AFC Honda/Acura
01 + Civic, 03+ Civic Si, 02+ RSX[hr][/QUOTE]

yup, they had one "V-AFC 2001 Civic EX" but they took that down after a lot of people called in about the engine light.

Old 11-28-2007
Registered!!

Ussel28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Apexi' VAFC update

i just installed the vafc 1 witch everyone said would not work.. but it works fine, i drove it around all last night tunning my car and my fule map in the high cam setting it was sweet im hooked on tunning but ... and this is a big but when i started my car the next morning to go to school at 9 the dreaded check engian light came on an i was like what ever i still drive to school cause all the other things i was watching with the vafc checked out normal except for the high idel witch is normal when it is really cold and by cold i mean calie cold in the morning witch is like 50 at the lowest lol but never the less i drove a mile till i thought my car was fully wormed up and i gunned it when i hit wot the car went all the way to 4k and made the rev limiter noise of the one when you push the revs past 69k we all know the noise we have all done it haha dont lie but i was wondering if after all this time if there was a fix or if i get may code reader out and just clear the code if that would fix idono any tips would be great.
Old 11-28-2007
Registered!!

Valdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to all

I cant begin to tell U how old this post is but anyway. If U went up to 4k and it did that then U are in limp mode. Did U mess with the vtec control at all and if U did reset it back to stock ur just gonna screw up the engine. Go get it tuned by someone who knows what they are doing. the VFAC is not easy to tune. And what version of the VFAC are U running the VFACII?
Old 11-28-2007
Registered!!

2slowem2 should not be trusted2slowem2 should not be trusted

so is there any problems with running the v-afc2 on a 01 civic with a lx ecu and a ex engine and wiring harness!I just removed my hondata with the ex swap so now i have a lx ecu and a ex engine and wiring harness,and i wanna run a 55 wet shot and a vafc-2 and the reuturn fuel system from slp with the fuel pump and regulater and stock injectors?
Old 11-29-2007
Registered!!

d5685090 is an unknown quantity at this point

ill stay tuned cuz i was thinking on getting one.
Old 11-29-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

wow this was solved years ago. the vtm wire hookup is missing from the apexi diagram. hook that up and no more cel. the vafcii works perfectly on any 01-05 EX civic. ill search for the diagram i know its at home somewhere. but ive seen it pop up here too.
Old 11-29-2007
Registered!!

yes thats the problem though i wanna hook up a v-afc2 on my lx ecu with a ex harness and a ex engine!Is this possible?
Old 11-29-2007
Registered!!

good question.
Old 11-29-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

not sure on connecting it to that setup. im not sure what the vtm wire is or what it does, only that if its not hooked up, you will get a cel coming on. first thing is check if your ecu harness has it.

if you have EX, the vafcII correct diagram is here

Last edited by gearbox; 11-29-2007 at 06:54 PM.
Old 11-29-2007
Registered!!

So does anyone know if i can run a lx ecu with a ex engine harness and a ex engine with the v-afc2 controller?
Old 11-30-2007
Registered!!

Ussel28 is an unknown quantity at this point

im using the vafc 1 the first gen it works grate except for that fing check engian ight ahhh i tried the diode trick no luck and yes i have switch the polarity a few times. the olny thing that seems to help is when i reset my ecu and take out the fuse. but as we all know its olny temporary. any ideas let me know i have cheacjed my wiring over like ten times its no that so i dono the olny wires that the vafc 1 does not have that the vafc 2 has it the DTS and the vtc we don even use any way and the DTS just makes your car mor smoth at idel any way so i dont see why the vafc 1 vs 2 would be an issue
any ideas whoud be a graet help
Old 01-24-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 2slowem2
So does anyone know if i can run a lx ecu with a ex engine harness and a ex engine with the v-afc2 controller?

yes, there was a thread about 6 months ago or more where some guy put a vtec head on an lx engine and put the vafc 2 and he rode it for months without a problem, he showed the wiring diagram. as for ur engine being an ex it doesnt matter cuz the difference from an lx to ex is the transmissions ratios and the head, what year is ur engine? and also what year is ur ecu? cuz 2001 thru 2003 civics with vtec and all 2004 and 2005s have an EGR valve, that might be a problem but im not sure.
Old 01-24-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Ussel28
im using the vafc 1 the first gen it works grate except for that fing check engian ight ahhh i tried the diode trick no luck and yes i have switch the polarity a few times. the olny thing that seems to help is when i reset my ecu and take out the fuse. but as we all know its olny temporary. any ideas let me know i have cheacjed my wiring over like ten times its no that so i dono the olny wires that the vafc 1 does not have that the vafc 2 has it the DTS and the vtc we don even use any way and the DTS just makes your car mor smoth at idel any way so i dont see why the vafc 1 vs 2 would be an issue
any ideas whoud be a graet help

what code is it giving you?