General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

fuel setup for turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2003
SRT-4 owner with 2MCHPSI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jwcardy is on a distinguished road
fuel setup for turbo?

okay, i have searched and no one is clear on this subject, or everyone has a different oppion. i am turboing my 2k2 DX 5-speed. manifold will be done by the end of this week. all that i have left is to figure out what i have to do with the fuel system. what i want from you guys that know what you are doing are definate answers of what to use. some say add an injector here, or put on another fuel pump, run a fuel line from here to there, well that dont get me anywhere. so if someone whom i knowledgeable would answer this for me i would appriciate it. i talk to bob at turbo performance and all he would tell is to buy their kit. and the shop that is doing the turbo for me is lookin around to the answer for this question too. but mine is the first 2k2 or even 2k1 he has turboed.

thanks, jwcardy
Old 01-11-2003
Registered!!

2001civ is an unknown quantity at this point
what they mean by an extra injector is that with our returnless fuel systems there isn't enought fuel to power a turbo above 4psi so you need to and an extra injector to deliver enough fuel for the turbo to run, but to do that you have to add in an extra computer to control that injector. By bigger fuel pump you need to put in an ajustable fuel pump to increase fuel pressure so that it can run bigger injectors, which can also deliver extra fuel needed. problem with that is you can't adjust the right amount of fuel to the car and fuel pressure without a different Fuel management (FM) and there isn't one for our cars yet. so you have to have the ecu reprogramed. basically bigger injectors=more fuel but it needs to be put in ratio to the air flow. OR you could take out the returnless fuel system and put in a return one which is used to deliver as much fuel as you will need but will also need a FM to control that and an adjustable fuel pump and bigger injectors will need ajustment too. and there you have the FM problem again but it's a better system cuz the fuel is always there if you need it. this is pretty pricey but the best you can do if you plan on running high boost. If you stick with the returnless system the bigger injectors can't do really high boost but there is nothing wrong with that way if you want to run low to moderate boost.
Old 01-11-2003
Registered!!

IF you are looking for an answer on what to do, thats your call depending what you want from the car. I am waiting for hondata to come out with there FM unit so I can run bigger injectors and ajustable fuel pump. FYI you will need a new fuelrail and fuel lines to handle the increased pressure if you are going to increase it very much. I am not going to run really high boost on a D series engine. so that will work just fine. the extra injector is fine for low boost, this is all in responce to what RiceburnerEX did, and I believer he also is waiting for the hondate or AEM unit. If you want more info on the return system try and PM civicpunker because he has done that conversion.
Old 01-11-2003
SRT-4 owner with 2MCHPSI

thanks, yeah, i just want to run low boost. really the only reason that i am putting the turbo on is to say that i have one. i dont car about being the fast one on the block. i just think that the fact of a custom kit on a car is cool, but yet i want to have some fun with it. so you say that our cars can run 4lbs of boost on stock setup and if i want to boost more, i will need to do one of the setups you mentioned? in the long run the most i would want to boost would be 8-10 lbs only because i dont care about being the fastest. i am fine with hearing, "oh cool man, you have turboed 2k2" and of course i want the BOV noise.
Old 01-11-2003
SRT-4 owner with 2MCHPSI

yeah i didnt proof read that last post before i posted it. it sounds like i am an inmature dumb@$$. this is it. i dont want the turbo for speed. i just want it to say that i have it, so i dont care to buy the stuff that will let me run high boost levels cause i dont want to run high boost on this motor. if i wanted to do that i would have bought an older civic. i just want a set up that will let me run 8-10 lbs safely
Old 01-11-2003
Registered!!

Logan is an unknown quantity at this point
You want to turbo your Civic, but not necessarily for speed? You really just want bragging rights and BOV noise? Save your money and buy some NOS stickers and Type-R emblems.

Edit: Okay, that was pretty mean of me to say...seriously though, man...that's a lot of money to spend for so little gain. How many people are really going to care that it's turbo'ed...especially if it is still slow? You'll be spending several thousand just to get an occassional, "Oh, that's cool man." If you are looking to impress people, and that does seem to be your main goal here, you should use that money on some cool rims and a sweet entertainment system for your car. Just do a little thinking on it.
Old 01-11-2003
Registered!!

Sorry I kind of f'd up some info on that. Well according to the pro shop where I live it's fine up to about 4 psi. I seriously doubt that. That would be running lean. From all the research I've done You will need to do something for more fuel no matter what. Thats kind of the draw back of a returnless fuel system. I'll give you a little more info. The civic being an economy car and ULEV honda put in the returnless fuel system. The reason for this is that not having that return line it cuts way down on vapor loss. To do this they need to send damn near the exact amount of fuel to the engine at any one time. This is where dyno tuning and fuel pressure starts to come in. Turbos aren't the only mod that you have this problem with. Nitrous has the same problem. If you want a large shot of nitrous you have to have the right air to fuel ratio, but to much nitrous and it starts to run lean (not enough fuel mixed with the air if you didn't already know) so you have to add more fuel (pretend you don't have to worry about internals) turbo or nitrous. There are sensors in your car that tell the car to add more fuel or take it away but they can only do so much and without that return line they need to be more precise. No return line no room for over flow of fuel if needed. If you max out what the stock fuel pump and injectors can do you have to up grade them. If you do that you have to reset the fuel delivery. return lines can take that extra fuel and if it doesn't get used it is just returned this allows for a return line to run a little bit of boost with out huge up grades. but you still have to dyno tune it so it gets the right amount of fuel at the right time. People with return lines aren't really any better off then we are if they want to run larger boost, they still have to buy new injectors fuel pump and fuelrails and lines and then dyno tune it all, It's less of a hassle and the parts are on the market. Basicly they have room for some give in the fuel system and it kind of goes along way when it comes to moding cars. There is way more to it but thats kind of the just of it and i'm not much if a fuel system expert.
Old 01-11-2003
Registered!!

Oh yeah, you said your shop didn't know about this. I would take it to a shop that does. They should be able to explain it better then me too. I just do this as a hobby, they're the pros.

You should be able to run 8 psi on any of those up grades with the right injector(s) and pump. but at much over 8 psi the rods will start to go
Old 01-11-2003
Registered!!

CivicRicer02 is an unknown quantity at this point
wow i would go to another shop
Old 01-11-2003
Registered!!

bbguy5 is an unknown quantity at this point
hey jwcardy theres a guy who's got his 2k1 civic ex turbo'd on honda-tech.com and he uses the haltech fuel system. he says he gets 197 hp at 10 psi i got some question for you though. Where are you getting your stuff made and how much is the total gonna cost..cuz i'm thinkin about turboing mine but i'm in the military and dont make that much money. so i
Old 01-11-2003
Registered!!

bbguy5 was that guys name RiceBurnerEX by anychance. I visit that site too he is on this site and that one. Same name on both sites, speedingtexan.com is his site, I believe his name is Scott.

What did you price out materials at?
I priced the custom intercooled set up I want at right around $3,000 and all top of the line parts. but that is without the upgraded fuel system.
Old 01-12-2003
SRT-4 owner with 2MCHPSI

for one, the shop is excellent. he is just unfamiliar with the returnless fuel setup and is just like everyone else that has messed with it. they all knew nothing about it until they studied it. and i am not spending thousands of dollars on this. i dont really care to impress others. i am doing it for my self. and i guarantee that i will spend no more that $2000