General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

paint sucks, tiny scratches?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nuts is an unknown quantity at this point
paint sucks, tiny scratches?

in hte daylight when i look really close at the car and if hte sunlight hits right i can see hundreds of tiny tiny tiny (looks like surface scratches) WTF is up with this. i wash my car eveyweekend, have the clear coat on and stuff but whats up. normal?
Old 12-20-2002
LEVA

KeNsHiN is an unknown quantity at this point
that **** happend to mine after my first wax, i was like WTF i thought that it was going to look better not worst! i still don't know if it's normal, but just to let you know that this has happend to me.
Old 12-20-2002
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
what color are your cars.

Paint get scratches in it constantly. Every time you wash it youll scratch it more. This happens with all paint, But is espesally visible with balck paint and the darker colors. The only way to get rid of it is to get your car professionally detailed. they'll buff n pollish it all away. But the next time you wash it again youll just scratch it again! This isn't because honda is cheep with their paint!!! Like I said this happens with all cars!!

A good wax will fill up the scratches and make them less noticeable, but That is just a temp fix.

THis is why I will never Buy a black car!! Cool color, but it is the most pain in the *** color to take care of.
Old 12-20-2002
JJJ
Registered!!

JJJ is an unknown quantity at this point
you think you got it bad, I have the black stock color, and i live in connecticut, snow, dirt, sand, salt, anything, maybe in the summer I'll do that professional buffing and get it all out,
Old 12-20-2002
LEVA

KeNsHiN is an unknown quantity at this point
i have the stock black, and yes i know that it can be taken care of with a nice buff but fu@k i don't have the time or the money to have my car professionally detailed every two weeks. Is there any other option like do it yourself **** out on the market that will fill up those scratches?
Old 12-20-2002
Registered!!

i thought it was normal. before the next show i'll just be sure to get it professionally detailed like usual. its just aggrivating. i got a black car. i love how it looks during the day and i love it but DAMN everything sticks out on it.
Old 12-20-2002
Registered!!

RedDragon333 will become famous soon enough
[hr]Originally posted by: Zzyzx
what color are your cars.

Paint get scratches in it constantly. Every time you wash it youll scratch it more. This happens with all paint, But is espesally visible with balck paint and the darker colors. The only way to get rid of it is to get your car professionally detailed. they'll buff n pollish it all away. But the next time you wash it again youll just scratch it again! This isn't because honda is cheep with their paint!!! Like I said this happens with all cars!!

A good wax will fill up the scratches and make them less noticeable, but That is just a temp fix.

THis is why I will never Buy a black car!! Cool color, but it is the most pain in the *** color to take care of.[hr]
thats not entirely true. It also depends on how you was your car, i have had mine for over a year now and it looks better than off the showroom floor. If you wash it correctly you shouldnt have to worry about the scratches on the paint and a paint cleaner polish and a wax should do the car some good.
Use two mits for washing, plenty of water.
Old 12-20-2002
Registered!!

2Hottie is an unknown quantity at this point
These tiny scratch marks are called swirl marks...the best advice is when you are applying wax, don't apply it in a circular motion, use a steady back and forth motion with a semi-modest amount of pressure...also, make sure you use 100% cotton towels to take the wax off, cause if you don't that will cause swirl marks as well....a good 3 step process from Meguiars helps get out all my swirl marks...they are inevitable, but manageable...

2Hottie
Old 12-20-2002
Registered!!

CarpeDiem is an unknown quantity at this point
Mines black also..cant stand all the scratches...after a while I stopped giving a sh-t...
It just bothers me that they get worse over time.....
whatever....its all goof[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-puke.gif[/IMG]
Old 12-20-2002
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
RedDragon's correct, If you take great car in washing your car you can minimize the damage. It still happens though.
My family owns a Collision Repair shop in San Diego, And the only Time i've ever seen Black paint look perfect with out having a good coat of wax on it is when it came straite from the Paint booth.

An oil base wax will fill in the scratches and make them invisible, but that dosn't mean that they are not there.
Old 12-20-2002
Registered!!

ok so you guys help me out here, whats should i use for just everyday washing? soon i'm gonna go get it all buffed out. what should i use to clean my car to prevent or minimisce swirl marks? i won't be waxing anytime soon cuz i already did that, i've on;y had the car for 4 months. i need name brand stuff to get and wash.
Old 12-20-2002
Registered!!

nytejade is an unknown quantity at this point
There's no way to avoid those micro fine scratches. They can literally occur just from tiny grains of sand jumping up off the road when you're doing 20 MPH. If you dry your car with anything, even a chamois, it's going to happen. There's way to flatten the clear coat out but you should be looking in the detailing forum...

In the respective order :

Car Wash
Meguire's Scartch-X
Meguire's Deep Crystal System polish
Meguire's Cold Class Carnuba wax...

Your car will look like new. : ) Be prepared to set aside a good 6 hours. Buffers suck IMO, don't use them unless your paint is fading.

You have to remember. Your cleat coat is amiable. It's going to give and scratch easily, but that also means you can smooth it out just as easily.

Go to their web site Meguiar's.com

Look at the Paint Care Prescription or Clinics. Just look around, all the info you ultimately need is there.
Old 12-20-2002
Hail to the king baby

kjgracing will become famous soon enoughkjgracing will become famous soon enough
Liquid glass auto polish will take care of the problem.

It's about $20.00 for 16 fl oz.
Old 12-20-2002
Registered!!

RedDragon333 will become famous soon enough
[hr]Originally posted by: Nuts
ok so you guys help me out here, whats should i use for just everyday washing? soon i'm gonna go get it all buffed out. what should i use to clean my car to prevent or minimisce swirl marks? i won't be waxing anytime soon cuz i already did that, i've on;y had the car for 4 months. i need name brand stuff to get and wash.[hr]
ok this is what i do and it keeps everything looking good and i have a red car so you can see everything, first i have two mitts made of lambs wool, wash in stright lines NOT circles, using one mit for the roof, hood, trunk and top half of the sides, then the second mitt for the bottom half and front and back bumper. Rinse the mits OFTEN. once your done dry it off with "The Absorber" screw the other things then use a microfiber towel to remove the small spots and blow into the cracks to get the remaining water out then clean paint (paint cleaner)still using same method as washing in stright lines not circles going the way of the paint then buff with a micrfiber towel(not the one used to dry the car) then wax applying it in stright lines not circles(for the hood, roof, trunk use an uo down method, for the sides and bumpers use a back and forth motion) then apply a polish the buff using a microfiber towel then last wax using the above methods and this should keep the scratches to a MINUMUM. I get compliments on my paijnt at the dealership from all the workers there asking me how i do it. This is how to do. No paint will be without a flaw but this is the best way to mantain. Use thios method like once every 3mons nad maybe a wax every onth at least i wax every time i wash. Hope this helps

for all this i prefer and have had great results with Meguiars products i use nothing else
Old 12-20-2002
Registered!!

wow, thanks man, i just printed that out.
Old 12-20-2002
AR
e-married to daydreamer

AR will become famous soon enough
i wash my car every week, and i have never had a problem with swirl marks or micro scratches. having a silver car just pays off. of course i dont just wash my car I clay it and use meguiars 3 step deep cystal system. works superb. 6 months and my paint looks like i just got the car off the show room floor. if you have never waxed your car yet, you should. like everyone said, oil base waxes work good! otherwise NEVER let you sponge or pads or towels touch the floor. i throw away ANYTHING that touches the floor. just a word of advice. if you do that i am almost positive you wont ever see a scratch.
Old 12-21-2002
Registered!!

NBPD17A2 is an unknown quantity at this point
What you are most likely seeing are swirl marks. I highly recommend Zaino Bros. polishes.Its the only stuff I use and will ever use.His paint polishes are non abrasive and contain no silicone. He has a polish called Z-5 which is for swirl marks and fine scratches. This will help you. You must follow his instructions though. This is very important. You also want to use 100% cotton large WHITE bath towels. This stuff shines better and lasts longer than anything ive ever used. Just do a search for "Zaino polishes" on the internet, youll see its the best stuff you can buy. Take a look at his web site, it has alot of useful information on it.

Zaino Bros.