General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Making the 7th gen civic shifter tighter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2002
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
Making the 7th gen civic shifter tighter?

I installed the revo ss kit and it seems my shifter was very tight at first, but now it is looser than stock. I hate using a loose shifter because it just feels like a toy ... is there any way to make the shifter tighter? I really doubt that the kumosport bushings would make is any tighter (would probably just make it have a more metallic feel to it)
Old 12-09-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
Posting your question in the right forum [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 12-09-2002
Registered!!

RedDragon333 will become famous soon enough
I think they would make a difference i went from my REVO with the KUMO Bs and then to my brothers stock shifter and it makes the all the difference in the world
Old 12-09-2002
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
well I already have the revo ss. it's looser than stock as you can see in my post. I hate it ... I was just wondering what would make the shifter tighter ...
Old 12-09-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
Change the cotter pin that's holding it in... shim the linkage so there's no gap where the cable holds onto the assembly.use steel washers to hold the shifter assemply base on instead of the rubber one's...do you have the Revo with the stock looking cable linkage...or the one with the heightened linkage for an even shorter shift??
Old 12-09-2002
Registered!!

01civicboi is an unknown quantity at this point
it's looser for you? Mine is tight as hell [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 12-09-2002
Registered!!

chefjnr is an unknown quantity at this point
mines too tight, probably has to do with the install and how tight you made the cable
Old 12-09-2002
Turbo Member

RiceBuRNeR will become famous soon enoughRiceBuRNeR will become famous soon enough
I just have a DIY Steel bar shim between the shaft of the shifter and the cable and cut the heigth down a little and all my friends say it feels closer and tighter than their short shifters, and it only cost around $4 and has held up to allot of abuse.
Old 12-09-2002
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
AH, you probably need my kit. Here's the thread: For Sale: Revo Technica Short Shifter Upgrade Kits
I don't sell them any more, so here's the information you need to make your own...

You need 5/16" rubber bonded washers (rubber on one side and galvanized steel on the other). You need only two of those. You can find them at a place like Lowe's or Home Depot for $1. Then you need grease. I use a high temp petroleum-based grease. Any kind of grease will do. I found it at a local store of mine for like $3. Then you need stainless steel cotter pins. Get them from McMaster.com for around $5 shipped. The part number you need is: 92375A100 You get 25 of them. I guess after buying all of this stuff you could start selling your own little kits. You also need to sand down both sides of the rubber bonded washers to have them fit. I used 220 grit sand paper for this.
Old 12-10-2002
Escaped Convict

CapYoda has a spectacular aura aboutCapYoda has a spectacular aura about
hmm. how does it feel loose?

when u go INTO the shift, or when you complete the shift? ie, when u shift into gear, it feels loose? or when u get outta gear and in the process of going to another gear...

if its when u get into gear, swapping the stock rubber bushings will help some. dont buy kumo's, buy mine. lol.

BUT, seriously, I suggest you take apart ur center console again... and take a look at the install, check if anything is loose. if it felt tight at first, and now feels loose, u should check why... do a couple shifts and see if there's anything that looks loose to you. there's quite a number of parts moving there in the shifter, and I would suggest u examine each points.

also check if u have torqued the bolts at each corner of the assembly down right. 16 lb.ft

and check other's suggestions too.
Old 12-10-2002
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

when you are shifting, it is loose. I hate that