General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Full Size Spare

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cosmicjim is an unknown quantity at this point
Full Size Spare

I recently put my 15" Honda Alloys into the spare tire area ... but the truck wasn't designed to fit something bigger then the spare, the cover over the tire doesn't sit flat anymore ... anyone have a solution so the cover is again flat?
Old 11-27-2002
Registered!!

FroggerDude is an unknown quantity at this point
raise the floor board
Old 11-27-2002
Ike
Registered!!

Ike is an unknown quantity at this point
I havent done this but is there enough room to relocate it under the car?
Old 11-27-2002
Tell me what you don't like about yourself....
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

CarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to all
[hr]Originally posted by: Ike
I havent done this but is there enough room to relocate it under the car?[hr]
Some people have done it before........It looks totally gay though

Old 11-27-2002
Registered!!

i'd prefer not to relocate under the car .. just got to figure a way to prop the trunk board up at an even height .... any thoughts? May resort to trial and error cutting of foam
Old 11-27-2002
Tell me what you don't like about yourself....
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

CarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to all
What would look really sweet would be to cut a hole where the spare is and place a plexy glass cover over it so that everyone can see. THat way the board would still lay flat.

Old 11-27-2002
Registered!!

SLeePeR012 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cuttin the foam does nothing, it doesnt even sit on the metal floor.
you would want to make the part where it sits (non-foamed) larger. this is what I would do:
get some pieces of wood. like 1x1; get some super glue and take the cardboard out and flip it so you see the foam. Take the wood and cut as you need so you can glue it on the carboard around the foam. This will make it sit high and ultimately you will fit a 15inch rim.
The 1x1 will work best since its the lightest and all you need is an inch. I would kno, I wa sin the same situation as you.

Good Luck and have a nice Holiday.
Old 11-27-2002
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
You could also do this... Cut out a hole in the cardboard crap and the carpet. Glue on (or staple on) some sort of edge strengthening. Maybe a flexible piece of wood? Then make the edge nice by maybe using some sort of a edge trim. McMaster.com and look for "edge trim". You would be able to see the wheel when you opened the trunk. It'de be kinda neat. Just my suggestion. It's something that I would do actually...
Old 11-28-2002
Registered!!

NickDaMans02Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah I did this on my past civic but the board did stick up never did fix the problem though. Yeah I heard from Honda they don't recommend putting a full size tire in the back for safety reasons if you get in a wreck or something. But yeah if anyone finds a good way to get the board even keep the projects going.

Nick
Old 11-28-2002
Registered!!

Roadog is an unknown quantity at this point
I saw a honda at a car show one time with a full size spare. The guy took a piece of lauan plywood that is 1/4 in thick and cut it to fit the trunk floor. He glued some pieces of wood to it underneath along side of the tire so it would sit flat and then put the carpet thingy that comes with the car back on top of it. It looked just like a stock trunk after he was done and said it didnt cost much. Just another idea.....[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 11-28-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: NickDaMans02Civic
Yeah I did this on my past civic but the board did stick up never did fix the problem though. Yeah I heard from Honda they don't recommend putting a full size tire in the back for safety reasons if you get in a wreck or something. But yeah if anyone finds a good way to get the board even keep the projects going.

Nick[hr]
what safety reasons should i be concerned about? The metal cap that holds the tire in place was made for both a temp tyre and a normal tyre.
Old 11-28-2002
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
You know, the spare is so tiny and you can't go fast with it on. Plus stopping and turning with that thing on isn't exactly perfect; especially if you have aftermarket tires with even more grip than the stock ones.
Old 11-28-2002
Rollin0n18s

I was thinking of putting a full size spare in my spot for the donut too. But instead of the factory wheel, I was going to put one of my after market wheels (18in's I have a Fifth wheel). I tried it out and I'm getting the same thing with the card board peice sticking up. So i was planning on getting the dimensions of the trunk, and building a 1 in 0r 2 in sub floor and cutting a whole around the spare so you could see it during show. But the only problem I am going to have is Trying to get my sub box in the trunk. Just wanted to let you guys know what I plan to do but if any one has any suggestions on how to get a box back there let me know.

P.S. This setup is not suggested for any type of racing because this will slow your car down alot. ALL SHOW