General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

noise from exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deejai35 is an unknown quantity at this point
noise from exhaust

I just installed my HKS Hi-Power rear section this afternoon and I am hearing a rattling noise from the area. What could this be? I am thinking it is the heat shield near the resonator, but could it be possible that I didn't tighten the bolts (w/springs) tight enough. I didn't want to over-torque the bolts that hold the rear section to the mid pipe/resonator.

I can't believe a muffler shop wanted to charge me $100 to put on a rear section. I bought a jack stand, wheel blocks, and WD-40 (not needed) totalling $24, and my neighbor and I put the rear section on in approximately 20 minutes...
Old 11-26-2002
Registered!!

ohmysac is an unknown quantity at this point
torque specs for the bolts is only 16 ft lbs i think...i'll need to go get the book
Old 11-26-2002
Registered!!

the noise is probably coming from the heat shield. I don't know why, but I doubt its a result of the bolts.
Old 11-26-2002
Registered!!

SilverCIV is an unknown quantity at this point
hey deeja check to see if any of the piping is touching anywhere around the wheel assembly....... mine did that the first time i got it back from the shop. and it took be like an hour to figure out what it was..... and it was just rubbing on the fron stablizer bar.... but your is just a rear section so just check ot the rear.... i'll have to hear that sometime when we all hang out again. hope you find it
lata
bill
Old 11-26-2002
Registered!!

StLVtec is an unknown quantity at this point
Yep my exhaust rattles real bad back there. Its not the hks. I will be getting the HKS though, but one of the shops i wnet to said it was the heat shiel so he bent it away and that wasnt it so . Im gonna have to check it out again. Also my exhaust rattles on the bumper
Old 11-26-2002
Registered!!

misio4 is an unknown quantity at this point
I just got done installing my OBX exhaust and it was the heat shield that was raddling also. But what the funny thing is that the exhaust was touchin the under body when I went for a sound drive and when I got back, parked the car I saw a lot of smoke coming out form the bottom of the car[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG] I turned off the car right away and looke under. It melter a little piece of the under body but it is fine. What I had to do is take the pipe off the rubber hooks by the rear axel and now there is some space between the pipe and the under body. Is that ok?

I was wondering if any of you had this problem? The long pipe is 2.5 inches in diameter. But other then that it souds cool. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 11-26-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: misio4
I just got done installing my OBX exhaust and it was the heat shield that was raddling also. But what the funny thing is that the exhaust was touchin the under body when I went for a sound drive and when I got back, parked the car I saw a lot of smoke coming out form the bottom of the car[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG] I turned off the car right away and looke under. It melter a little piece of the under body but it is fine. What I had to do is take the pipe off the rubber hooks by the rear axel and now there is some space between the pipe and the under body. Is that ok?

I was wondering if any of you had this problem? The long pipe is 2.5 inches in diameter. But other then that it souds cool. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][hr]
I thought the rubber hooks allow the exhaust to hang down so it doesn't touch the underbody? You may want to replace the rubber hooks with some that hang lower metal against metal may be bad...

Old 11-27-2002
Registered!!

vino is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: Deejai35
I just installed my HKS Hi-Power rear section this afternoon and I am hearing a rattling noise from the area. What could this be? I am thinking it is the heat shield near the resonator, but could it be possible that I didn't tighten the bolts (w/springs) tight enough. I didn't want to over-torque the bolts that hold the rear section to the mid pipe/resonator.

I can't believe a muffler shop wanted to charge me $100 to put on a rear section. I bought a jack stand, wheel blocks, and WD-40 (not needed) totalling $24, and my neighbor and I put the rear section on in approximately 20 minutes...[hr]
same sound i hear also.....honda checked it out and made up some BS saying it could be the brakes
i dont know how to fix this...can anyone help?
Old 11-27-2002
Initial D!!!!

nightkids1 is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah i had that same problem after i instaled mine, after 2 monts it stoped, never fiquered out what it was but only did it when my car was just started, after it got warmed up it stoped, i think it was the hangers.
Old 11-27-2002
Registered!!

ChEe12iO is an unknown quantity at this point
if you hear the noise still and it isn't the heat shield, it could be the rear sway bar if you have a coupe. mines doing that right now. aftermarket exhaust with the larger diameter piping as well as tweaking to fit will cause the exhaust to get closer to the rear sway bar. at certain rpm's when the exhaust gas causes the the exhaust system to resonate, the catback/axleback while vibrate more than usual and will come in contact with other parts reved hard enough. my skunk2 catback does that in a small rpm range. if you want you could just put exhaust wrap around the piping area that's coming in contact with other parts of the underbody. that way it won't be metal against metal and cut some of the noise, if not all of it, down. just my $0.02.

peas.

oLee
Old 11-27-2002
Registered!!

Desi is an unknown quantity at this point
on the rear section, i believe there are 4 hangers: 2 before the axel (before the hump) and the two after (on the muffler). you can try to take off one of the first two hangers- my friend has the hks too and the rear section is still stable on just three hangers.
Old 11-28-2002
Registered!!

I've discovered that it is definately the heat shield. It stops after the car has warmed up though, so it isn't that big of a problem.

The exhaust sounds great! I guess it is kinda loud. My cousin said she could hear my car drive by her house yesterday... she said its loud... maybe it is. [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]