General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

oil change

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crazyjetskier is an unknown quantity at this point
oil change

ive been thinking guys and i dont really do anything to my enigne other thaan adding a lot of octane booster,cleaners,detergents,and other feul and oil and other fluid additives. reason being is cuz i dont wanna mess up my warrenty but i still like my eninge running good anyway my point is should i change my oil my self so i can use the really good kind and good filter and make sure its done right or should i have honda do it so they can check anything else on the car and make sure everything is in good working condition???? i have about 13000 miles on my car and its in perfect shape and i wanna keep it that way. but i used to change the oil my self in my old car but with my civic im sorta scared i mean is it harder than an old ford tempo/?? please help
Old 09-15-2002
ak
Retired Mod
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

ak can only hope to improve
Do it yourself, synthetic all the way!
Old 09-15-2002
Registered!!

brents1 is an unknown quantity at this point
nah, it's really easy. just jack up the car, drain the oil, change the filter and put about 3 - 3.75 quarts in.
Old 09-16-2002
Registered!!

XcitmtEX is an unknown quantity at this point
Which brings up an interesting question... where do you jack from? If I wanted to get the car on stands, how could I jack from the jack point AND put a stand there at the same time?
Old 09-16-2002
RE
Registered!!

RE is an unknown quantity at this point
There is a jack up point in the center right where the bottom of the front bumper ends. Just jack it up from there.
Old 09-16-2002
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
There is only one big problem with changing your oil yourself:

Who is going to believe you when you go to sell the car? Personally, I don't care if you have receipts for oil you bought at the store. You could have done anything with that oil.

Plus, maintanence reciepts, especially from the honda dealer, will make it much easier to sell your car and sell it at a premium. Just some food for thought.
Old 09-16-2002
Honda > Nissan

xian is on a distinguished road
[hr]Originally posted by: crazyjetskier
ive been thinking guys and i dont really do anything to my enigne other thaan adding a lot of octane booster,cleaners,detergents,and other feul and oil and other fluid additives. reason being is cuz i dont wanna mess up my warrenty but i still like my eninge running good anyway my point is should i change my oil my self so i can use the really good kind and good filter and make sure its done right or should i have honda do it so they can check anything else on the car and make sure everything is in good working condition???? i have about 13000 miles on my car and its in perfect shape and i wanna keep it that way. but i used to change the oil my self in my old car but with my civic im sorta scared i mean is it harder than an old ford tempo/?? please help[hr]
I'd forget about all the additives and invest that money into a CAI. It won't void your warranty, especially when you can purchase them from the dealer, but who would???
Old 09-16-2002
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
[hr]Originally posted by: crazyjetskier
ive been thinking guys and i dont really do anything to my enigne other thaan adding a lot of octane booster,cleaners,detergents,and other feul and oil and other fluid additives. [hr]
You're not supposed to put any of that stuff into the car. It says it in the manual right around the same place as the oil change info. Use Synthetic Oil.

To jack the car, Jack it from the center, behind the front bumper, and put the jack stands on the points behind the front tires.
Old 09-16-2002
Registered!!

crazyjetskier is an unknown quantity at this point
so when i goto the dealer can i ask them to use synthetic oil?
Old 09-16-2002
Registered!!

IDQcivic should not be trusted
Make sure you jack it from the 2nd support under the front end... If you use the first you'll end up bending something.. I think thats the just radiator support and not meant to take a load... Use the actualy frame of the car to do the jacking...