General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Puttin a button on the trunk to open it???

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
slammed2k2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Puttin a button on the trunk to open it???

I recently painted my trunk and i remove the keyhole, so i canhave that nice clean look, and it is a bit of hassle, i mean my trunk cable does work, but i wish i can go up to the car when its unlocked place my hand just over the license plate and underneath that line have a button to open my trunk? has anyone done this? or know how i can do this? im sure its possible, cant be such a big deal
heres a pic of what im talkin about...

Old 09-10-2002
Registered!!

XxJDMCivicxX is an unknown quantity at this point
sorry don't know anyone who has put one on but might I suggest an auto open trunk release with a remote button theyre pretty chill
Old 09-10-2002
The Standard One

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VNlilMAN will become famous soon enoughVNlilMAN will become famous soon enough
ya, you could put the remote trunk release... put the button there or use the remote... but then with the button, people might be able to open it unless if you rig it somehow. but ya i think best way would be to use the remote and not the button it comes with
Old 09-10-2002
Registered!!

nytejade is an unknown quantity at this point
I just got a Viper Alarm installed and it comes with 2 Auxillary buttons. How would you go about hooking up the trunk to open with the button?
Old 09-10-2002
Registered!!

GuSTo is an unknown quantity at this point
you have to get a power trunk release....
Old 09-11-2002
The Standard One

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VNlilMAN will become famous soon enoughVNlilMAN will become famous soon enough
ya get a trunk release, it should be no more then $20 for a generic one... some site had it for 12. i think autolocs is like 40. but ya get that... it should usually come with the solenoid(the thing that pulls the latch to open it). the button to pop the trunk open. extra steel cable, and whatever else you need wire/screws... just screw the solenoid onto the trunk near the latch. connect the solenoid to the latch using the extra steel cable provided.(tie it somehow, i dont recommend cutting the old one cause you wont be able to use the thing next to our drivers seat to open the trunk). and for hooking it up to the alarm... locate the aux output line on the alarms brain, hook it up to a relay that hooks up to the solenoid. thats basically it...
Old 09-11-2002
Registered!!

Connie is a jewel in the roughConnie is a jewel in the roughConnie is a jewel in the rough
[hr]Originally posted by: VNlilMAN
ya get a trunk release, it should be no more then $20 for a generic one... some site had it for 12. i think autolocs is like 40. but ya get that... it should usually come with the solenoid(the thing that pulls the latch to open it). the button to pop the trunk open. extra steel cable, and whatever else you need wire/screws... just screw the solenoid onto the trunk near the latch. connect the solenoid to the latch using the extra steel cable provided.(tie it somehow, i dont recommend cutting the old one cause you wont be able to use the thing next to our drivers seat to open the trunk). and for hooking it up to the alarm... locate the aux output line on the alarms brain, hook it up to a relay that hooks up to the solenoid. thats basically it...[hr]
yeah, what he said, or you could just go to a sterio shop and get an auot trunk installed, I got mine on my car alarm remote and it works like a charm, I also have my underbody lights on my remote...just incase you wanted to know.
Old 09-18-2002
Registered!!

stackz is an unknown quantity at this point
you're gonna luv this one...I'm too lazy to post the whole deal but I've already done this and it works just awesome on my car...

1) go to radio shack and get one of those low profile "red buttoned press in switches" ...remove the license plate and drill the hole for it...
2) mount it dead center of the license plate area and remount the licence plate....might take the use of some of those rubber spacer things for glass coffee table tops behind the plate edges to keep it from pressing the button to get the spacing right....

3) take a long set of speaker wire from the switch...along the trunk lid....down one of the hinge runners.....behind the trunk wall carpet stuff....and into the release switch wires....

4) wire it so that when the red button is pressed that it closes the circuit (i.e. one wire to the positive...the other to the ground on the trunk release circuit...duh)

5) close the trunk...and "tap" the license plate a little hard in the middle quickly...kinda like your smackin your girl's ***...and VIOLA!!! that trunk will pop like her cherry and nobody else will be the wiser lol

but that's what I did...you can elaborate on it or do what the hell you want to with it but oh well and it looks SOOO stealth and people just flip out when I smack the plate and the trunk pops.

-stackz
Old 09-18-2002
Registered!!

stackz is an unknown quantity at this point
oh ya almost forgot, ya you need either a keyless or electrical trunk pop solenoid to get it to work right....I stole a door pop solenoid off (if I remember correctly a blazer) from a junkyard and mounted it with pop rivets....

-stackz