General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Those with the AEM CAM GEAR (I know there's a few of you out there...)

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nbpEMCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Those with the AEM CAM GEAR (I know there's a few of you out there...)

I have some questions for you, and I'm sure everybody else would like to know this too! Now that you've had it for some time, what are your semi-long term thoughts on it? Is it causing any engine problems? How's the fuel milage coming along?
Old 09-04-2002
Registered!!

IDQcivic should not be trusted
I've had it on for more than a month now... I dont know if it was worth it or not , I've had it advanced 2 degress, and lately i've been getting like 340 miles per tank! usually I got like 300, don't know whats going on here... I drive pretty hard too.. anyways, as far as performance goes its hard to tell with out a dyno... I think this mod will be more useful once I get other internal engine mods done... someday....

Old 09-04-2002
Registered!!

biggs is an unknown quantity at this point
well i just drove my *** 5 hours to see my girlfriend at school and i didnt notice any diffrence in my gas milage. starts everytime, changes gears fine. it was only bad when i tried cranking it up to 5 degrees then it would bogg out every now and then
Old 09-05-2002
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
Sounds good though. Advanced timing on a SOHC engine will change the power curve. It will make the engine produce more power up top and less power on the bottom (rpm's). You probably saved gas because the acceleration was better in the rpm's that you usually drive in, so you didn't have to give it as much gas as you normally do to get up to speed. At least that's my theory. Although I don't think it would make that big of a difference? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 09-05-2002
Registered!!

Grey,

I think you got it backwards... THis is from on articel I read:

On a SOHC engine, an adjustable cam gear will allow you to move the power curve to a specific area in the rpm band as described above. Like moving your peak power on a high-revving Honda to max out at 4000 to 5000 rpm. Typically to improve bottom end power advancing a SOHC engine will do the trick and the converse is true to enhance top end power.

Check out this article on cam gears,
Cam gears explained
Old 09-05-2002
DIY King

Oh yeah, whoops! That makes sense now. Retarded (haha) timing for more power at higher rpm's. Advanced timing for more power at lower rpm's. Okay, that makes sense too since you got better gas mileage and you probably drive more in the lower rpm's than in the higher rpm's. Although I'm sure how this works exactly? I know that advanced timing on a SOHC will make the intake valves open later and the exhaust valves open later. Their duration depends on the cam shaft, of course. I would like to know the reason why this shifts the power band though. I can't picture it.
Old 09-05-2002
Sometimes, I can see right through myself ...
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

taz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud of
I've actually been thinking about getting a cam gear but I don't know how beneficial it would be on an AT. The car is set to shift at certain points, so I don't think you'll see much of a power increase out of it. Aw hell, maybe I'll just suck it up and install it and see what happens. [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 09-05-2002
Registered!!

I think you got it backwards again, I belive advancing the timing makes the intake and exhaust valve open SOONER! read that article it explains it all!
Old 09-05-2002
BAD MON

Booohahaha is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: taz757
I've actually been thinking about getting a cam gear but I don't know how beneficial it would be on an AT. The car is set to shift at certain points, so I don't think you'll see much of a power increase out of it. Aw hell, maybe I'll just suck it up and install it and see what happens. [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][hr]
do it up man im AT tooo so if u get installed let us know!!
Old 09-05-2002
Registered!!

Thanks for your responces IDQcivic and biggs. I am considering getting this, and with results like those (meaning no MAJOR engine problems) I think I just might get one in the next couple of weeks.
Old 09-05-2002
DIY King

[hr]Originally posted by: IDQcivic
I think you got it backwards again, I belive advancing the timing makes the intake and exhaust valve open SOONER! read that article it explains it all![hr]
Oh yeah, whoops again. Yeah, that makes sense. I knew all of this stuff, but it's bean a while since I've babbled about it. Ignore me. See, if we had DOHC, we could advance the timing on the intake cam gear and retard the timing on the exhaust cam gear. That would create the most power since the intake valve would open sooner and let in more air and fuel and the exhaust valve would close later to help bring in more air and fuel and expell more of the spent gases. There, I finally got it right! [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 09-05-2002
Registered!!

Good job Grey![IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG]
Old 09-05-2002
Registered!!

BLUENVY01 is an unknown quantity at this point
well, i dont know about you guys, but now that my timing is off, i've been experiencing some wierd effects. the major one is that when im cruisin in 2nd or 3rd gear, say around 2500-3500 RPMs... the engine has a tendency to bogg down or somewhat cut out off. and then when u notice it, u accelerate and it continues to bogg a lil bit more until the engine picks up and it kinda throws u into your seat with a hard jerking pick up in acceleration. also, i have yet to reset my engine since i put the cam gear on, so that might have a lil to do with my problems, but my engine light has a tendency to come on and continually stay on for long periods of time... its been on again for almost a week now, so im thinkin its time to reset the ecu!
Old 09-05-2002
Registered!!

Hey blue, where do you have your gear set to? it shouldnt be running like that, and you CEL shouldn't be on either, mine came on at first but that was because I forgot to attach that sensor back up that is right below the gear, i think that sensor gets our ignition timing since we don't have a distributor. If you look at the cam gear it has like 4 notches on the sides. I think that sensor might read those notches to know when to fire each spark plug... I could be wrong.... make sure you have that sensor hooked up right. I have my gear advanced 2 degrees and it seems ok.... Honestly though I've had it advanced and retarded and couldnt tell much difference either way...

Old 09-08-2002
Registered!!

PaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond repute
Wsup...i've had the aem cam gears in my AT for a while now and i've advanced and retarded my gears...and this is how it came out....when i advance the cam gear(i've took it to 4 degrees), i can't really feel the difference in power or kick in the low rpms...but when i retard it(taken it to 3 degrees), i can feel a kick when i take off...now when i had it retarded, and i was going like 100mph, i tried to floor it and man, it took forever and a day to even get to 110 mph...seriously though, i think advancing it is better....imma advance my car to 3 or 4 degrees and leave it there...i have a dyno test scheduled in 2 weeks and then I'll post the pic online for yall to see the difference....holla at me if you wanna know anything about my AT and what settings i have my gear at...
Old 09-09-2002
Registered!!

hey what year do you have? a 2k1 only has 1 gear, if you have a DOHC from another year than you can adjust the intake and exhaust cams which is a little trickier. I've heard to advance the intake and retard the exhaust... try that since it sounds like you don't have a 2k1....

Old 09-09-2002
Registered!!

PaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond repute
As for me, I got a 2k1 [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-puke.gif[/IMG]
Old 09-10-2002
Registered!!

Well if you have a 2k1 then you only have 1 gear so I dont know why you said "gears" meaning more than 1....

Old 09-10-2002
Registered!!

ok mr english teacher, i only have one cam gear....duh![IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/IMG]
Old 09-11-2002
Registered!!

1028CiViC is an unknown quantity at this point
Here's my question.. i have a 2001 Lx auto..
i have down pipe...cat back exhaust hks hiper universal.. No catalyic converter.
Injen race division, aem pulley kit i was wondering if i change the cam gear
will i notice the different?/? anyone one have the same set up as me..?
and got cam gear...
how much does the aem cam gear cost?/? and for cam gear what other brand is there
available rite now?
thanks.
Old 09-11-2002
Registered!!

I've got some of the mods you have and more, but I have an EX.. I can't really tell much of a difference, I've tried retrarding and advancing... right now I have it retarded but I'm still not happy... I got mine at www.optauto.com for like 135.. I think OBX makes one too, but I'd stick to AEM....
Old 09-12-2002
Registered!!

i've also done what IDQcivic has done...advancing and retarding....*note- if you look on the aem cam gear box that it was sent in, it shows the advance setting on the rightside of the cam gear and the retarding side on the left....weird? i called my race shop up a couple weeks ago to clarify this, and they said that it depends on the setup and car...i guess so...some people on the forum say that a camshaft will make the difference...is that true? cause i dont' know...also, I'm thinking about getting a hi-flow catalytic converter...is it worth it? any added HP or sound comin from the exhaust? if anyone has a hi flow cat, let me know what it does for you, etc....thanks!
Old 02-12-2003
Registered!!

BJAI is an unknown quantity at this point
What degree would be the best when i want power come from 3000 rpm so i can save gas
when normal driving ?