General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Hi! I'm blonde :D

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ayumiyake is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi! I'm blonde :D

Is our stock CD player head unit s'posed to get REALLY hot durin', let's say, after an hour of use or so <.<? I jus' 'bout burnt the shlt outta myself when I came home after a drive and took my Exile CD single "Style" outta the unit! I was like "WTF!?!". In any event, I'm more concerned 'bout the damage it might 'cause to a CD, seein's that it get's VERY hot in there. I pulled down the door/cover on that storage compartment under the head unit (I have a 2002 EX btw) and felt inside, and I'm sure you could bake a cake in there!!! Is it s'posed to do that? Will an aftermarket system fair better (be less hot)? X_x Let me know your experiences, PLEASE!
Old 07-10-2002
T.V. is bad for you. Go outside.

Engineman is an unknown quantity at this point
I am pretty sure the head unit should not be cooking your CDs. I put a Pioneer head unit in mine and have no problems. Might want to get that checked out tho.
Old 07-11-2002
Registered!!

CrankinCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
yes it is normal for them to be hot ... if you think about it , behind the dash and controls , the unit is creating heat, and unlike a amplifer or a external cd changer which has a better chance to cool since it is mounted typically in a open area with air flow .. now behind the dash there is no airflow or very little, so there is nothign to worry about, just be careful they can get really really really hot .. believe me i have burnt the hell outta my self at work playing with peoples cd players , popping the cd out and it being hot as hell ..
Old 07-11-2002
Registered!!

So it doesn't damage the CD at all after extended use? Say, a roadtrip of several hours/days e.e??
Old 07-11-2002
The dog told me to do it

Explosivo is an unknown quantity at this point
Ayumi... it shouldn't damage the CDs at all. The CD drive in my G4 gets really hot at times and when I take the CDs out, they are usually very warm to the touch... so I would say you're ok.
Old 07-11-2002
Registered!!

Thanx ^_^ I guess they'll be ok. Jus' since Avex has started copy-protecting all their CD's, I have to use the originals in my car ;_; and since they're so expensive (singles in Japan costing as much as albums here in the US and albums costing as much a videogames) I get VERY cautious as to how I use them and what I put them in. Thanx for the input y'all ^_~ I think I'll end up goin' with a CD Changer under the passenger seat or somethin' soon, Oyasumi!!
Old 07-11-2002
Registered!!

no it will not damage the cds, you will be fine ..... jsut a small pain in the *** that comapnies dotn think about ..
Old 07-11-2002
Registered!!

if you have the cd button on your radio , and im talkin for a oem cd chagner .. you can put a direct link cd changer to it with a adaptor and a alipne cd chagner ... its much better than RF changers and you haev nothing but oem look then ..
Old 07-11-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: CrankinCivic
if you have the cd button on your radio , and im talkin for a oem cd chagner .. you can put a direct link cd changer to it with a adaptor and a alipne cd chagner ... its much better than RF changers and you haev nothing but oem look then ..[hr]
I do like the OEM look <.< the red light "theme" is pretty kewl and I would rather not tear up my dash e.e I've heard horror stories of installing new head units in our cars. But I wouldn't mind too much if I either did it myself (after I learned HOW of course) or had someone I trust do it. As stated earlier, I'm blonde, but I do know that RF units tune into a set channel through your FM stereo correct? Are there any CD changers, other than OEM that would interface with our OEM head units? If not, are there any aftermarket head units that would interface with an aftermarket CD changer without RF as the means of relaying the signal (i.e. a coax or rca line)?
Old 07-11-2002
Registered!!

Silver2k1Dood is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: Ayumiyake
[hr]Originally posted by: CrankinCivic
if you have the cd button on your radio , and im talkin for a oem cd chagner .. you can put a direct link cd changer to it with a adaptor and a alipne cd chagner ... its much better than RF changers and you haev nothing but oem look then ..[hr]
I do like the OEM look <.< the red light "theme" is pretty kewl and I would rather not tear up my dash e.e I've heard horror stories of installing new head units in our cars. But I wouldn't mind too much if I either did it myself (after I learned HOW of course) or had someone I trust do it. As stated earlier, I'm blonde, but I do know that RF units tune into a set channel through your FM stereo correct? Are there any CD changers, other than OEM that would interface with our OEM head units? If not, are there any aftermarket head units that would interface with an aftermarket CD changer without RF as the means of relaying the signal (i.e. a coax or rca line)?[hr]
Here ya go...changers for OEM systems
Old 07-11-2002
Premium Member & 1 Millionth Poster!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

THEANTIRICEST has disabled reputation
get the 6 disc in dash cd changer its awesome.
Old 07-11-2002
jro
Registered!!

jro is an unknown quantity at this point
do what i do: get a cd-burner on your computer and then make a backup of your precious music collection for your car. that way if one melts or get's scatched it won't be the end of the world 'cause blanks are cheap and you can just burn another. b.t.w...my stock cd player get's really hot...especially this time of the year. i've never had a prob. with it damaging any of my discs.
-jro
Old 07-11-2002
Registered!!

BlueFlame is an unknown quantity at this point
Ya know, you could actually tell people you have a "CD Burner" in your car. Heh heh ...
Old 07-11-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: jro
do what i do: get a cd-burner on your computer and then make a backup of your precious music collection for your car. that way if one melts or get's scatched it won't be the end of the world 'cause blanks are cheap and you can just burn another. b.t.w...my stock cd player get's really hot...especially this time of the year. i've never had a prob. with it damaging any of my discs.
-jro[hr]
I'm not takin' this post to make any examples or anything, but I wanted to make another bltch 'bout copy protected CD's ~_~ You, like myself, make copies of your collection so that damage to the original isn't a worry we must endure. Rather we make copies of PURCHASED CD's and use those in situations where the disc may become damaged. Well . . . newer releases (especially those coming from Japan under the Avex label) are encrypted with copy protection. Known to crash computer systems, fail to work in older CDA and CD-ROM drives and **** certain consumers off royally, such as myself >I Anyway, I'd LOVE to copy my disc as I have done in the past, but this copy protection makes in near impossible. The only way around it thus far seems to be 1) have a soundcard that can sample from itself or 2) run a line-out from the source playing the CD to a line-in source to record it (very analog, but it works). Both methods are rather tedious and in some cases are more trouble then they're worth, given the desired outcome compared to what you actually get. As far as my older CD's go, yes DEFINITELY they are copied ^_~

~Ayu-mi-yake~
Old 07-11-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: BlueFlame
Ya know, you could actually tell people you have a "CD Burner" in your car. Heh heh ...[hr]
HAHA!! Never ceases to amaze me how y'all can find humor in such situations >D