General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

ONCE AND FOR ALL...NITROUS OXIDE 101 FOR NEWBIES AND EXPERIENCED RACERS! THIS IS A MUST READ

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2k2civicballer is an unknown quantity at this point
ONCE AND FOR ALL...NITROUS OXIDE 101 FOR NEWBIES AND EXPERIENCED RACERS! THIS IS A MUST READ

Most of you already know this, but this is an article from the new issue of importtuner, and i found this VERY helpful to a Nitrous newbie like myself! So take your time and read this, youll learn a lot i promise! [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

Nitrous Oxide
Instant Power at the Touch of a Button

Staff Report

How it Works?
You have seen it in the movies. Hit a button and in an instant the engine produces 50, 100, 150 or more additional horsepower.

Is it magic? Not really. The explanation is rather simple, but before understanding how a nitrous-oxide system allows an engine to generate a rush of additional horsepower, it's best to understand a little on how the engine itself makes power.

Internal combustion engines, like that B16 in your Civic, are designed to convert one form of energy to another. The engine takes the energy in the fuel and then, through combustion, the fuel's energy is turned into heat and pressure to produce horsepower at the flywheel. Even if you can't remember this, all that you need to remember is that the more fuel that you can combust, the more power that you can make. Bottom line, to make more power we need to be able to combust more fuel.

This brings us to combustion. What do we need to be able to burn more fuel? The answer is simple, as just two things are needed. First, we need a way of adding additional fuel. Second, we need something that will supply an additional amount of oxygen to let the fuel burn.

Regardless of who manufacturers the nitrous-oxide system, every nitrous-oxide system accomplishes both of the above. In some way, either through the factory injectors or by adding additional fuel nozzles, the nitrous oxide system puts more fuel into the engine. The additional amount of oxygen needed to burn this fuel is also supplied by the nitrous-oxide system. The additional oxygen is supplied by injecting gaseous nitrous oxide into the engine. When the nitrous oxide gets inside the engine, it supplies almost twice the amount of oxygen for combustion. The air that we breathe is about 21-percent oxygen. On the other hand, nitrous oxide contains 36-percent oxygen by weight.

The Basic System
A bottle, high-pressure lines, solenoids, jets and nozzles are included in all nitrous-oxide systems. The nitrous-oxide bottle usually holds 10 lb of nitrous oxide and the trunk is the most popular mounting location. A high-pressure line will carry the nitrous oxide forward to the solenoid. The solenoid is an electronically controlled valve. When a signal of 12 volts is sent to the solenoid, it opens and nitrous oxide is then sent to the nozzle and into the engine. At the same time that nitrous oxide is injected into the engine, the nitrous-oxide system will by some means add additional fuel into the engine. The original and most simplified method of injecting the fuel is by using a solenoid and nozzle setup. This setup is often referred to as a "wet" system and is nearly identical to the configuration for the nitrous except that the fuel is injected at anywhere from 6 to 60 psi, while the nitrous oxide is injected at 700 to 1200 psi.

"Dry" and "Computer Controlled" Systems
The term "dry" nitrous-oxide system refers to nitrous-oxide systems that use the factory injectors to supply the additional fuel into the engine. The original dry systems designed by Nitrous Oxide Systems send a pressure signal to the factory fuel pressure regulator to increase the fuel pressure. This increase in fuel pressure allows the injectors to supply more fuel for the added nitrous oxide. Taking a bit of a different approach, Venom's VC-2000 system uses a computer control module to increase the amount of time that the injectors are open to put more fuel into the engine. Additionally, the Venom system uses the signal from the vehicle's oxygen sensor to ensure that a safe air-fuel ratio is maintained. If the sensor detects an excess of nitrous without enough fuel, the Venom system shuts off the delivery of nitrous oxide, saving the engine from harm.

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly
The good news is that dollar for dollar, the horsepower increase from a properly installed nitrous-oxide system is hard to beat. Most starter systems come ready to generate an additional 40 to 120 hp. Above this power level, a more sophisticated system is required and previous experience with nitrous oxide is highly suggested.

The bad news is that an improperly installed nitrous-oxide system can cause severe engine damage. If nitrous oxide is injected into the engine without supplying an adequate amount of fuel or no fuel at all, then you've got trouble. The temperatures in the combustion chamber will skyrocket, and the engine may detonate and parts will be broken and melted.

There are some ugly facts that you'll have to face when it comes to using a nitrous-oxide system. First, bottles are only so big. The more frequently you use the juice, the more times you will be refilling the bottle. Second, the less you learn about nitrous, the more likely you are to have a bad experience. Third, and most important, it is not the use of nitrous oxide that causes engine damage. It is the misuse of nitrous oxide by the tuner and driver. Every engine has its limit. A stock engine doesn't have the toughness of a racing engine. Chances are that there's a tuner out there with your same engine and they have experience with using nitrous oxide on your engine. If they tell you that a 40-hp shot is all that you can do on a stock D16, believe them.

Better Safe, Than Sorry
If you want to have a good nitrous-oxide system experience there are some considerations you can make to increase the chances of coming away with a smile. Since a nitrous-oxide system relies on the fuel system, it is always best to be sure that your fuel system is at its peak efficiency. Factory fuel filters begin to degrade in performance as early as 10,000 miles. When installing a new nitrous-oxide system, it is recommended that you replace your factory fuel filter and be sure that the injectors are clean. The other area that you need to address is the vehicle's ignition system. A factory ignition system is designed to operate at near factory horsepower levels. A nitrous-oxide system can easily overcome the capabilities of a stock ignition system. Be sure that the spark plugs are new and that the ignition cables are in good condition. The cap and rotor should also be inspected on non-direct-ignition-system (non-DIS) cars. An ignition amplifier, high-performance ignition wires and spark plugs that are one heat range cooler (for applications over 50 hp). In the absence of an ignition amplifier, it's a good idea to tighten your spark plug gap by .010 to .005 in. This will make it easier for your ignition to generate a spark even in the high-horsepower range.

Thank you Import Tuner Magazine for this Article. Taken from www.importtuner.com on April 25, 2002
Old 04-25-2002
FLY
Registered!!

FLY is an unknown quantity at this point
yet another good wholsome post by tha BALLER, good article bro
Old 04-25-2002
Registered!!

youre welcome FLY, I was sitting in class...reading my 2NR mag like all the other good boys...lol...and i came accross this article! had to add it to the site for all the newbies that dont know NOS from Nitrous and so on. and people that know Nitrous can use some of the tips etc also.

Cheers
2k2
Old 04-25-2002
9K Redline Owns U
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Spider883 will become famous soon enoughSpider883 will become famous soon enough
nice article. informative.
Old 04-25-2002
Registered!!

Crashoveride is an unknown quantity at this point
I read this article too, I thought it was really good, thanks for posting it for eveyone.
Old 04-25-2002
The Fallen Angel . . .

Vizyun is an unknown quantity at this point
FR@GGIN Import 2NR is the MAG, BABY!
Old 04-25-2002
Registered!!

RedDragon333 will become famous soon enough
VERY nice and informative baller....i learned a little most i knew but it always helps to learn even if its a little...still a little wary to have nitrous on my car...but im working up the courage
Zak- TEAM REVolution
Old 04-25-2002
Registered!!

colombianDXcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
thanks...great article[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 04-25-2002
Registered!!

SLeePeR012 is an unknown quantity at this point
Did you find that online? or copied it right off the new Import Tuner magazine?
Either way Im not one to say copyright or forge... Thanks for puttin it up!
Lou-
Old 04-25-2002
Registered!!

if i would have said i wrote it, that would be copyright infringement and forgery...but i clearly stated it was from the new issue of Import 2NR Mag. But anyways the point is...this article helped me understand a little bit more and i hope it helps you guys too![IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG]
Old 04-25-2002
Registered!!

petOr is an unknown quantity at this point
hey man.. great article
Old 04-25-2002
Registered!!

2k1EXracer is an unknown quantity at this point
I thank you for creating one of the most informative and intelligent threads this forum has ever seen. This is a perfect representation of nitrous oxide and everybody on this board should be forced to read it over and over untill they can recite it by heart. Thank you again.:tup :
Old 04-25-2002
Registered!!

why thank you i feel honored[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG]
Old 04-25-2002
Registered!!

Ichiban is an unknown quantity at this point
I read it on Import Tuner...How much of that stuff can a more or less stock engine handle??
I was planning on a 50 shot is that good??
Old 04-25-2002
Registered!!

dragoon is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah, 50 shot sounds about right... the most obvious choice, IMO, is the nitrous express kit. 60hp and 100lb/ft of torque. good power, and pretty safe as long as you don't misuse it. if i decide to use n2o, that's what I would pick.
Old 04-25-2002
Registered!!

BlueIce2001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Very informative way to look out for us
ur tha man
Old 04-25-2002
Registered!!

WhiteRiceBoi is an unknown quantity at this point
waddap jigga man.. good post for tha n00bs lol
Old 04-26-2002
Registered!!

OmegaStauf is an unknown quantity at this point
So if the air we breath is 21% oxygen and nitrous oxide is 36% oxygen by weight, what happens when you inject pure oxygen into an engine, like O3? I'm guessing, big boom?
Old 04-26-2002
BOOST JUNKY

SpdRcrChk is an unknown quantity at this point
I just wanna thank Baller for the article. It was very helpful and informative!
Old 04-26-2002
Registered!!

your welcome guys and girls[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]

You guys rock, once again...I can't wait til the meets this summer, so i can meet all of you!