General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Nightmare Engine Swap - 95 Civic LX MT

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mckelj is an unknown quantity at this point
Nightmare Engine Swap - 95 Civic LX MT

Got myself into a nightmare I need an expert opinion on. Bought a 95 Civic LX stick in great cond w/a blown head gasket, 211K, $500. After researching, we chose to replace engine, D15B7. Unfortunately allowed a couple of ‘friends’ to do it. They got a new engine, w/80K on it, from a yard. Dizzy from old engine was put on cuz the new one was broken, w/a busted flange. 20 hours of weekend later, new engine was in, would turn, but not start.
Tried it next day w/my husband and noticed that a) plug wires wrong, b) dizzy not mounted correctly, c) timing belt cover was off and belt was cut, looking to be sawed nearly halfway thru, () and only two of the lobes/valves were turning on the camshaft when we tried to start. Assuming broken camshaft.
On checking old engine for possible parts to use, noticed that cooling cavities contained what I'm sure was dried Bars Leak. ‘Friend’ #1 tells me he thinks dizzy/camshaft/timing belt damage was done in pulling engine at boneyard. Owner @ yard offered to give me another head today, but one he gave was V-Tec and doesn’t have a non but said he’d have one in a few days, but going on a month since repair attempt. What now? Replace just camshaft (+timing belt), whole head, swap again, or try to get what $ I can and eat the loss?
Old 10-30-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mckelj is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Nightmare Engine Swap - 95 Civic LX MT

BTW, I'm about $1200 into this car now, no longer trust either alleged friends to be able to tie their own shoes w/o help, (who puts in an engine w/o changing obviously f*d up belt???) nor the junkyard owner, who seems to be set against returning any $$$ and just wearing me out.