General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

02 si trailer hitch.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
slapoutz is an unknown quantity at this point
02 si trailer hitch.

alright guys i have an 02 civic si (manual) and i have an aftermarket hitch for it, well anyways the hitch is rated for 200 pounds tounge weight and 2000 pounds towing, i have had up to probly 600 pounds on it (tilt trailer and atv) but not when im actually driving, the floorpan and the back like wall have separated so im gonna brace it and everything off the frame. my question is after i brace it how much would the drivetrain actually be able to tow, like the tranny and driveshafts and everything, do you think it could handle 4000 pounds (the drivetrain). ive got ideas on beefing up the hitch to where it will handle it.
Old 08-23-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: 02 si trailer hitch.

Listen to the owners manual, civics aren't meant for towing a trailer.

The maximum weight capacity for a civic including the weight of the driver/passengers is 850lbs; so a 4000lbs trailer would be about 5 times the max weight. If you need something that can tow 4000lbs buy a truck, this is the dumbest idea I've ever heard.
Old 08-23-2010
Registered!!

i want answers not critisism, i tow 1000 pounds all the time with no problems.
Old 08-23-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

US Si (guess Si-R in canada) or Canada Si (EX in US)? not sure how much it changes, but...
Old 08-23-2010
Registered!!

02 civic si hatchback (made in uk for usa driving) left side drivers
Old 08-23-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

so prolly stronger transmission for the more powerful engine, prolly better weight distribution (weight behind, burning tire in front trying to get traction... ).
Sorry, that's as far as i could tell, don't know that car as well as i would like to.
good luck!
Old 08-23-2010
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute

4000 lbs is too much, I would not tow that much. I tow my bike and 4x8 harbor freight trailer no problems on my 03 civic but everything probably weighs 1000lbs.
Old 08-23-2010
Registered!!

why does everyone think the front wheels will be off the ground its called trailer weight distribution aka tounge weight. and i asked someone that has alot of knowledge about towing and cars he said the drivetrain would be fine as long as i could make the hitch hold it, also trailer brakes are a must.

btw im making a custom setup attatched to the frame so yes the hitch will hold it. i wont be hauling over 3200 pounds anyways i was just using 4000 as an example because ill be hauling some stuff in the car. i think its possible as long as im not slipping the clutch all the time like alot of people towing do.