General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

1998 civic timing belt issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hoosiercivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy 1998 civic timing belt issues

Hi all, first post! 1998 Civic with 294,000 miles. This car has ALWAYS run perfectly with no problems since new except for a cracked exhaust manifold (of course) and routine stuff like replacing half shafts, etc. I had the original timing belt replaced at 125K miles and now at 294K figured it was long, long overdue for another new belt. Checked out a couple of youtube how-to videos and decided to do this one myself. Also picked up a new water pump as recommended. I made my own crank pulley holding tool by welding a plumbing bushing with a 2" hex to a stabilizer bar off of a 3 point hitch. (That crank bolt was the tightest bolt on the planet and that includes a Type 1 VW flywheel bolt!) Pulled everything apart, replaced the belt and water pump, got it all back together except for the wheel and plastic gravel guard, reached in and turned the key. It started instantly and ran perfectly and I let it idle for about five minutes to make sure the water pump didn't leak, etc. Put the wheel back on and drove it around for about 3 miles. NO problems and at this point I'm the master of my domain. The next day I drive it to the post office with no problems. Get back in, start it up, back out of the parking space and it died. No sputtering, bucking, nothing. It just died. It came home on a hook and I just got done pulling the pulley and the covers back off. The new belt is still mint, the timing marks still line up, the bolt in the tensioner is tight, the crank position sensor is mounted properly and its bolt is tight, the wires aren't pinched, etc. Everything looks fine. Any ideas? Please help.
Old 08-11-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the rough
Re: 1998 civic timing belt issues

Wow!

I'm about to do mine soon, too. Hope you find out what the cause of the problem is before I do mine.

Do you have the Oxygen Sensors pulled in and seated tight? Not saying that's the cause.
Old 08-11-2010
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Prodresurgence will become famous soon enough

Did the car overheat at all? CEL? Tough without more info. Does it crank, click anything when turning the key? Coolant is good? Check your alternator cables, also replace or test your battery (autozone free testing for batteries and alts)
Old 08-11-2010
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

You sure that the marks are right and that when the marks where aligned that cylinder one was at TDC. Did you change the tensioner cause I think you are suppose to change these as well when changing the belt. I have seen alot of people do timing changes and be perfect but to much strain on the old tensioner and will cause alot of misfires and over time mess the motor up. Dont know if that is the problem you could check.

But you sure it haas to do with your timing. Have you tried cranking the car at all and what does it do when you try it.
Old 08-11-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,450 Likes on 1,204 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Also, if you ever machine down the head, the marks will not be accurate anymore.
get the last honda tuning magazine - they give a brief explanation of timing the engine.