General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

rear bumper and tail light housing replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PeteReview is an unknown quantity at this point
Question rear bumper and tail light housing replacement

I parked my car at LAX airport parking. When I came back someone hit the rear drivers side corner of the bumper (dented inward with paint cracked off) and cracked that tail light.

Does anyone have a diagram of how to dismantle the bumper and tail light?

I searched online and found replacement bumper for $271. They are not painted. What is the best approach to getting it painted? Do they sell them somewhere with it already painted?

The driver's tail light sells for $73 online. The hairline cracks is on lower part of light. It is has a tiny shard missing (size of dime).

2005 Honda Civic, 2 door Coupe, Value Package,
Exterior Satin Silver Metallic
1.7 Liter engine

The other way instead of replacing is try to hammer that dent out and fill it and then paint. Maybe find some plastic filler for the crack on tail light.

All advice welcome on approach and info on DIY. Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2005-Honda-Civic-.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	78340  

Last edited by PeteReview; 05-23-2010 at 06:13 PM. Reason: add info
Old 05-24-2010
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Re: rear bumper and tail light housing replacement

buy the tails online. they are cheap. 3 screws in back and the taillight comes right off.

as for the bumper, there are a few clips on the bottom and some near the taillight and some on the side. there is the DIY on here somewhere. search is ur friend.
Old 05-25-2010
Registered!!

as for the bumper, there are a few clips on the bottom and some near the taillight and some on the side. there is the DIY on here somewhere. search is ur friend.[/QUOTE]

Thank you sl33pyriceboi. I will order that tail light online. The DIY diagram for rear bumper located and printed out. When asking around - they said this OEM bumper is not painted. Should I check around for someone to paint it? Reading through forums I found a online paint supplier that has the exact paint color for my Civic. Another member mentioned that he did some paint blending. The paint blending looks complicated without good equipment and practice. How would you go about this?
Old 05-25-2010
Registered!!

extra post by accident

Last edited by PeteReview; 05-25-2010 at 07:47 PM.
Old 05-25-2010
Registered!!

TheGreen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PeteReview
as for the bumper, there are a few clips on the bottom and some near the taillight and some on the side. there is the DIY on here somewhere. search is ur friend.
Thank you sl33pyriceboi. I will order that tail light online. The DIY diagram for rear bumper located and printed out. When asking around - they said this OEM bumper is not painted. Should I check around for someone to paint it? Reading through forums I found a online paint supplier that has the exact paint color for my Civic. Another member mentioned that he did some paint blending. The paint blending looks complicated without good equipment and practice. How would you go about this?[/QUOTE]

I'd say just get color matched paint for your car and car clear coat and paint the bumper yourself. Usually they already have a primer on them.
Old 05-27-2010
Registered!!

I'd say just get color matched paint for your car and car clear coat and paint the bumper yourself. Usually they already have a primer on them.

I will give it try. Please clear up for me - how to paint it? Do I rent a sprayer from home depot? or use spray can or brush?

So color blending is not needed here?
Old 05-27-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,151 Likes on 804 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

you can buy a rattle can of OEM paint from automotivetouchup.com...
Old 05-28-2010
Registered!!

I found the site and they got 12 oz Aerosol Spray cans - sweet! Thanks
Old 05-28-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,151 Likes on 804 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

yup. I just ordered a can of EBP and a can of clear for my car

post up pics after you're done

Or if you live close enough to san diego, and you don't mind leaving your car for a bit, I know a guy that does good work for relatively cheap