General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

My GSR build

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010
^Warranty voider

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Running Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of light
My GSR build

What's good.

I bought a complete GSR long block for 800 dollars. Found some surprises on it like a 4 puck clutch, fidanza flywheel and a JDM ECU. Checked out the numbers on the engine and it's definately a JDM 10.6:1 GSR B18c. I pulled the head after a pathetic compression test and one thing led to another.

So far I've had the block sent out to a machine shop and got the block hot tanked and honed. Polished the crank journals and profiles, and also had the pistons and rods cleaned.

I have acl race bearings, NPR piston rings, OEM bottom seal kit for the oil pan oil pump water pump etc. OEM timing belt, the water pump from my B16 and a new OEM tensioner.

As far as the head goes I'm going back to the Buddy Club head gasket, ARP head bolts, my existing p30 head milled .005 with polished intake ports and blox IM GSR TB and CTR cams.

Hopefully I can have the bottom end assembled by this weekend. HOPEFULLY. I'll have some pictures up when I go to the shop on monday.
Old 02-07-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My GSR build

subscribed
Old 02-07-2010
^Warranty voider

Running Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of light

sold my p30 block on eBay. used that to buy blox cam gears, p2r thermal IM and TB gaskets. I'm bidding on a Moroso oil pan as well... why the hell not? The head will be sent out to the machine shop for honing, polishing and port matching. Hopefully I'll have enough for a tune and some ecu stuff. I love having machine shop connections....
Old 02-08-2010
Registered!!

lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

In for pictures.
Old 02-08-2010
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Nice work.. what kinda machine shop connections you got? I wish I did... It would make engine building sooo much cheaper and in turn, affordable.
Old 02-08-2010
^Warranty voider

i befriended this kid that needed help with his 240. lend him a hand with part selection and building a power package for him. he'd been bugging me to check out his old man's shop so i figured what the hell let's give it a try.

let's put it this way,

dropped it off tuesday at 1400 hours.
got it back thursday at 1400 hours.
polished crank main and rod journals, honed and spec'd cylinders, polished piston heads fit my arp rod bolts, hot tanked the block spec'd the block top, polished the crank edges with a mild knife edge, cleaned up my rods.

for slightly over 100 dollars. Now i know it isn't free but come on. all that work for about 100 dollars?! it might be cheaper in other places but i'm used to 200-250 for that kind of work at other shops. I'm going down to my garage at around 10 or 1030 i'll snap some photos for you guys to see his work.
Old 02-08-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Sounds pretty neat, cant wait to see, hopefully eveything goes smooth for you. Its going to be a N/A build? Good Luck!!
Old 02-10-2010
^Warranty voider

its going to be an NA build. I like the respect and reliability of a good NA build. There's a couple turboed cars (very low boost obviously) in town i can run. Even if they are low boost the fact I owned them all motor after all the **** boosters talk is still fun. Once they turn up the boost they'll own my *** though)

ARPs came in. It's about the only thing. Still waiting on the rest. I swapped over the GSR tb onto my blox IM.

It's kinda sad saying goodbye to my 70mm. We've been through a lot together i put the gsr tb on it. It's 60mm i think? the 70 fit the entire 60 inside of it.

Swapping the throttle wheels was a lot of fun too. I gave the throttle wheel spring another rotation and the pedal is hard as hell now. Still deciding if i like it or not.

Response is mucho better on the low and mid range but the top end suffered. alot. The IM is 64mm so hopefully I can send my tb off to maxbore and have them open it up to 64. 70 was just too big for daily driving on a b16. b20vtec maybe. b16? no way

I know i keep saying i'll post pics but i never get to the shop intime for daylight. i will today promise.
Old 02-10-2010
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Yeah where the **** are these pictures!? lol...

Props on the machine shop deal, I think that work would cost more then that, but I'm not talking from experience so what do i know.
Old 02-10-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jackmp32010 is an unknown quantity at this point

I saw this 3 days ago but still no pics. I really wanna see this
Old 02-10-2010
^Warranty voider

I got pictures!!!!!

finally made it in time to snap some photos. Sorry they are all ***** nilly i had to hold the parts and shoot at the same time without the screen since the battery was dying. These are just perliminary photos since my parts haven't all gotten here yet.

Everything I bought was local here in florida or shipped priority so everything should be here this weekend.

Im going to see my old man, he's not feeling so well so I'm at a stand still for a week.

By the way, does anyone know the proper install instructions for ARPs? ARP is no help at all I called and emailed and nothing. Nothing came with the box either. I don't want to **** this head gasket up like the last shop I went to did to mine.

Anyways, here ya guys go.

Crank is still in the wrapper since we tend to NOT want to **** that up.

after some rattle canning we went from this:

to this:

the head block and trans will all be flat black. Should help dissipate some of the heat as well as give the engine bay that floating engine look.

I'm really disappointed I couldn't use my p30 pistons with the GSR head shaved but I only found one place in town that does balancing and they wanted out the *** prices and months of waiting time. Couldn't do that. C-speed put my compression at 12 and change:1 with that set up. With the set up I am aiming at i should be low 11s. Still pretty good compression for my CTR cams. I can always use flat valves to pick it up even more.

Last edited by Running Riot; 02-10-2010 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-10-2010
^Warranty voider

i will be back the 22nd for updates and more pics
Old 02-11-2010
^Warranty voider

piston rings, acl rod main bearings and thrust washers came in.
Old 02-11-2010
Premium Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
icedcoco is just really niceicedcoco is just really niceicedcoco is just really niceicedcoco is just really nice

nice build...in to see it through.
Old 02-24-2010
^Warranty voider

Hey guys I'm back from out of town and 90% of the parts are here. I am still waiting on a few other accessory parts but nothing that is critical to the build. I have a tri-Y header coming and some new avid mounts along with some other bits and pieces like magnetic drain plugs. Anyways we've been spending a couple hours a day since monday assembling the engine in the hopes that it will be dropped in by tomorrow and running by Thursday. I'm going to use a SVAFC on a modified ECU once I get everything installed to fine tune the minor details. I got a little shop happy when I was away and ended up getting some minor suspension components I needed in addition to HIDs for my fogs, HIDs for my headlights, new fog light assemblies (i busted the **** out of my current ones when i high fived a racoon in the face with my bumped) a polycarbonate intake manifold gasket carbon fiber spark plug cover etc. Cool stuff. Anyways, this is what the engine looks like as of Weds 1600 hours EST. The bottom is assembled 98% complete, just need to install oil pick up, screen and oil pan. Need to pick up rear main and front crank seals also. Enjoy the pictures guys, I'll have more tomorrow.

Last edited by Running Riot; 02-24-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-25-2010
^Warranty voider

Today we got a cherry picker and cleared out a space over at my friends house so that we have an area to work out of. After we finished assembling the bottom end of the car, we replaced the crank and rear main seals and installed the new water pump, seals and timing covers. We got the alternator brackets installed, the PCV charcoal box, the oil cooler hoses, and the ARP head studs threaded. Unfortunately, I forgot to bring the camera again but there wasn't much to miss really. Tomorrow the fun begins. We've done a 4G63 complete swap in 1.5 hours before. Terry has R&I'd a DSM trans in 45 minutes also. We're hoping that between us we can get the engine swapped and running in a couple hours. I don't foresee any insurmountable difficulties so I should have a poor man's type r by tomorrow afternoon. We shall see.
Old 02-25-2010
Registered!!

lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

Fun stuff. Don't forget the camera tomorrow.
Old 02-25-2010
^Warranty voider

Got to love UPS coming to my house at 1848. They brought me another toy. Seriously, UPS should change their company uniforms to this:

because honestly, it all I see when I see my UPS guy.

Anyways, this is what they brought me:

wondering what your looking at yet?

my new tri-Y header!
Old 02-26-2010
^Warranty voider

Going over to shop to work on engine. Hopefully finish it. Bringing camera.
Old 02-26-2010
^Warranty voider

so i went to the shop to find my friend had contracted acute food poisoning and was pissing out his ***. It's his birthday tomorrow so we decided to put the project off until monday. Did get an alignment however and raised the car up some to cut out the fender rubbing. Ride is a bit smoother we'll see how it does tonight at work. I also went to the muffler shop and fixed a rather LARGE hole that ripped in my DC header. So much for quality product eh?