General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

noise from tranny

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Costa is an unknown quantity at this point
noise from tranny

Hey everyone, newbie here...

I've got a 99 Civic Si and I'm getting some noise from what I assume is the clutch. With the clutch peddle out, I'm hearing a rubbing sound - kinda like the sound when a brake is dragging. When I push the clutch in, the sound goes away, sometimes instantly, other times it slows to a stop over the course of a second or so.

Also, and I'm not sure if this is related, but the tranny pops out of 5th a lot. Goes right back into gear no problem, but won't stay there for long before it pops out again. Thought this might be a setup issue with the short throw shifter in the car until I clued in on that clutch noise.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-20-2009
Registered!!

Cleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of light
Re: noise from tranny

Originally Posted by Costa
Hey everyone, newbie here...

I've got a 99 Civic Si and I'm getting some noise from what I assume is the clutch. With the clutch peddle out, I'm hearing a rubbing sound - kinda like the sound when a brake is dragging. When I push the clutch in, the sound goes away, sometimes instantly, other times it slows to a stop over the course of a second or so.

Also, and I'm not sure if this is related, but the tranny pops out of 5th a lot. Goes right back into gear no problem, but won't stay there for long before it pops out again. Thought this might be a setup issue with the short throw shifter in the car until I clued in on that clutch noise.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The first problem is perhaps a bearing noise. If you hear the sound with the clutch engaged (up) it indicates either the small input shaft bearing or the large input shaft bearing. If you hear whining during driving it's a giveaway that one of your bearings is gone. But the problem could be something else. Maybe the clutch is making the noise, maybe your throwout bearing is resting on a weird spot when it's not engaged.

As for the second problem, it indicates to me that you need to either swap the trany or do a rebuild. A rebuild will be expensive because your countershaft/input shaft will need to be taken apart. But if you take it to a professional transmission shop, you could end up with a like-new transmission, and that might be worth the cost.
Old 11-20-2009
Registered!!

Hey Cleft, thanks for the reply.

I actually took the car into a tranny shop today and they diagnosed the noise as likely being a release bearing and said the syncros were likely the problem with my fifth gear.

They suggested the same thing as you, either a tranny swap or rebuild. Its looking like a swap might be the better way to go.

Thanks again for the help!
Old 11-21-2009
Registered!!

Cleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Costa
Hey Cleft, thanks for the reply.

I actually took the car into a tranny shop today and they diagnosed the noise as likely being a release bearing and said the syncros were likely the problem with my fifth gear.

They suggested the same thing as you, either a tranny swap or rebuild. Its looking like a swap might be the better way to go.

Thanks again for the help!
A swap is a better way to go. I just bought a used 98 ex trany for 100 bucks. I am going to be adding new seals to it though. (axles, input shaft, and shift lever seals) You will not need a bearing puller to do this, but you will need to take the trany apart. But if you don't do that, at least apply grease into all the seal channels. New honda seal come with grease inside the channel, and if it isn't there, it may leak. I have seen input shaft bearing seals leak, and it gets oil everywhere in the clutch housing, and on the clutch itself.

You're also going to have to find a grease for the mainshaft/release bearing. honda uses bernardi urea grease p/n 08798-9002. Maybe someone here knows the equivelant and where to buy it.

Last edited by Cleft_Asunder; 11-21-2009 at 04:07 PM.
Old 11-27-2009
Registered!!

Hey Cleft...

Thanks for the reply...again. I drove the car back to the tranny shop this morning and basically exploded the tranny on the way there. I managed to limp the car into their parking lot, but I lost 5th, 4th, 3rd and I think another mile would have grenaded 2nd gear. There is some question now about whether the dealership I bought it from checked the tranny oil or if it was just f$%ked.

Regardless, the car is there and a used tranny and new clutch are on way. With any luck, this should resolve all tranny issues so I can concentrate on the important things - cosmetic, motor and stereo upgrades.

Pics to come when I have the car back in my garage.
Old 11-28-2009
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

The dealership probably would not check the tranny fluid on a manual before selling the car. On the bright side, you were expecting to need a new tranny when it went for a ****. Even though that is a small up side. Hopefully you will be up and running in no time

I hope you got a few quotes on the job to see who could do it for the least.
Old 11-29-2009
Registered!!

I'm out in "small town" Ontario, so my options are limited unless I want to have the car towed into the city. The shop I've taken it to came highly recommended though from people who know far more about cars than I do. I trust that at the end of the day the work and the cost will be fair.

I just hope the car is ready before the snow starts falling. My garage is almost impossible to get a car into once the snow is here and I need it in the garage so I can start my winter to-do list.

Thanks for the help and advice, guys!