General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

HELP ! These 11W High Power LEDs Burnt My Fuse Twice!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kashahyah is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry HELP ! These 11W High Power LEDs Burnt My Fuse Twice!

Just tinted my rear lights. I bought these LEDs cuz my friend said they're BRIGHT so they can makeup the brightness loss for the dark tint. I got them today, I put them on and turn up the lights. They blinked once and then dead. And I cannot hear the turning signal click sound anymore. I went check the fuses, they've burnt my 10A fuse. I and put on a backup 15A fuse and it also got burnt. WTF ?!

Don't want to try 20A fuse since it might harm the rest of the circuit.

Should I return those LEDs or I need some mod ?
Old 08-07-2009
Registered!!

happyslap is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: HELP ! These 11W High Power LEDs Burnt My Fuse Twice!

You need to replace your flashing relay. Its burnt out. You can order flasher relays online that are designed to flash at a constant rate instead of at a load rate.LEDS draw very little current so they dont provide the necessary load to cycle the flasher. You burnt out your relay with those LED bulbs thats why its popping fuses. If you cant find a relay designed for LEDs you can use a 10w 10 Ohm L-Pad (sandstone resistor) wire one across the - and + terminals of each light to provide the necessary resistance load to make a normal flasher cycle. Either way you need to replace the flasher before you put another fuse in.
Old 08-07-2009
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

so when you engage the blinker there is no light on the dash and no sound? if so i dont think you have to replace the flashing relay. if the light is burnt or if you have burned the fuse then you wont get any dash lights and no sound either, it happened to me in my civic as well. however i have no idea why they would burn out just because of the bulb. maybe its the wrong bulb?
Old 08-07-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

led bulbs should not burn your relay, unless the leds suck (which is very possible since almost all those junk bulbs are made overseas). i have a LED flasher relay in mine even tho i dont have led signals YET. you can buy the one from auto stores made by tridon (same as oem brand) and its EP_34 i believe for the part number. it should say LED somewhere on the flasher. ive tried it and sure enough, the led bulb blinks at a normal speed with this flasher.