General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Exhaust Confusion

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
20_CiViC_02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exhaust Confusion

So yea, I'm the typically teenage ricer I guess. I want one of those big 3 inch exhaust pipes everyone has that makes that low growl and then sounds really nice when you rev it up. I'm confused between the terms resonator, cat-back, muffler, etc.

Is it just a resonator I need to buy? Or a muffler? Or both together?
I was looking at some cheaper Borla and Apex'i universal mufflers, but don't know what to get so that I have that mean growl.

Also, how would a person install something like that? Chop off the old muffler and exhaust pipe and weld it on? I'm really new to this lol.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 08-01-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
Re: Exhaust Confusion

Upgrade all the pipes off the engine, including the header, stock cat and down pipe is fine if you have an EX. Read the exhaust FAQ in my sig.
Old 08-01-2009
Registered!!

DanielsSTEK is an unknown quantity at this point

If you're just a ricer and just want the sound, don't bother with all that. The header, cat, replacements would give you a bit of extra power but you would be spending some extra cash. If you're really cheap, you could just remove your muffler (it has 2 bolts above the rear axle and a couple rubber hangers you have to remove). This would give your car a deep, loud sound. You could also get an "axle back" exhaust, just google that for your car, some companies make them and it would make the car sound better, or a universal muffler welded on at an exhaust shop like you said. A short ram intake (you can pick up an AEM for about $100) will also give you a nice sound when you open the throttle. A cat-back exhaust bolts up from your catalytic converter and back. The header is an exhaust manifold, it bolts to the engine block and runs down to the exhaust.

HOWEVER, Triz is right. Don't be a ricer if you can help it. Spend the money for the full system if you can, it'll get you a couple horsepower.
Old 08-01-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by DanielsSTEK
If you're just a ricer and just want the sound, don't bother with all that. The header, cat, replacements would give you a bit of extra power but you would be spending some extra cash. If you're really cheap, you could just remove your muffler (it has 2 bolts above the rear axle and a couple rubber hangers you have to remove). This would give your car a deep, loud sound. You could also get an "axle back" exhaust, just google that for your car, some companies make them and it would make the car sound better, or a universal muffler welded on at an exhaust shop like you said. A short ram intake (you can pick up an AEM for about $100) will also give you a nice sound when you open the throttle. A cat-back exhaust bolts up from your catalytic converter and back. The header is an exhaust manifold, it bolts to the engine block and runs down to the exhaust.

HOWEVER, Triz is right. Don't be a ricer if you can help it. Spend the money for the full system if you can, it'll get you a couple horsepower.
Thanks for the reply! I'm only 17 years old, working part time, so I want to go as cheap as possible. I don't want to spend thousands of dollars on a whole new exhaust system. I am going to install my own short ram intake eventually as well.

So again, what is a resonator exactly? I want to get something that doesn't need to be welded on at a muffler shop, if you know what I mean. I'd like something that sounds deep just by removing some stuff and bolting on a new one.

Also, I want something not too expensive. The stuff Apex'i and Greddy put out are well over my price range. Can I get something around the $100 range?

Last edited by 20_CiViC_02; 08-01-2009 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-01-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Okay, do this...

Pop the hood and remove the resonator on your intake... that way your air will still be filtered and when you step on the pedal you'll have a deeper growl.

Then pick up any huge muffler you can find and get it welded on at an exhaust swap. This is called an axle back, because the exhaust is upgraded from the axle and back...

Resonators usually suppress sound.

Which muffler to get? Watch clips on youtube.
Old 08-01-2009
Registered!!

So I checked under my car, and I would like an axle back system. I basically remove the muffler from the two hanging clip things and then un-bolt it from the rest of the exhaust pipe.

What is the cheapest axle back system I could get? I've been looking around on the internet and they are all over $500 :s
Old 08-01-2009
Registered!!

DanielsSTEK is an unknown quantity at this point

A resonator is a space or section that reflects sound waves around in such a way that they cancel each other out, making things quieter. Just like Triz said, I removed my intake resonator in high school to get a bit of a sound form it. The only two axle back "systems" I know of that aren't just universal mufflers (would need to be welded) are the Mugen loop system which is sweet but it's like $800 and no one can afford that for an axle back, or the flowmaster one, which I have (it's maybe $250), which I think sounds nice. I'm going to probably do an engine swap in the future, I just got an axle-back because my stock muffler rusted apart and i figured I may as well get something good sounding.

I have an EK though, models may vary depending on your car's year. Hope this helps you out.
Old 08-01-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by DanielsSTEK
A resonator is a space or section that reflects sound waves around in such a way that they cancel each other out, making things quieter. Just like Triz said, I removed my intake resonator in high school to get a bit of a sound form it. The only two axle back "systems" I know of that aren't just universal mufflers (would need to be welded) are the Mugen loop system which is sweet but it's like $800 and no one can afford that for an axle back, or the flowmaster one, which I have (it's maybe $250), which I think sounds nice. I'm going to probably do an engine swap in the future, I just got an axle-back because my stock muffler rusted apart and i figured I may as well get something good sounding.

I have an EK though, models may vary depending on your car's year. Hope this helps you out.
Thanks
Old 08-01-2009
Falken Master

cwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nice

just get the Megan Racing 4-1 header and a Vibrant Street Flow Muffler, deep deep growl, never high pitched, its 108 bucks shipped from dezod.com, keep the resonator and the original piping. had my friend do this with his 2001 EX, doesnt sound or look bad

or just go on ebay and find a ractive muffler, then you can sound like a broken V12
Old 08-02-2009
^Warranty voider

Running Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of light

You can make your own intake for less than 50 if you go to a muffler shop ask them to bend you a 3" pipe and go buy a cheap filter. You can get a magnaflow oval on ebay for 40 or so and then pay 40 for them to weld it on.
Old 08-02-2009
Registered!!

rutscivic is an unknown quantity at this point

oh god...
Old 08-02-2009
^Warranty voider

Running Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of light

what?! he's a ricer so who the hell cares if it's not top shelf quality. Plus those DIY intakes work just as well as the expensive ones let me tell you.
Old 08-02-2009
Registered!!

^^ GO GATORS cant wait till the season starts. everyone tell me they are poop without my man percy, but they didnt play moody that much and they still got superman, rainey, demps, cooper, hernandez,etc. etc plus a BRANDON SPIKES and a more experienced D!!

(SORRY THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS THREAD)
Old 08-02-2009
^Warranty voider

No love for timmy t?
Old 08-03-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by rutscivic
^^ GO GATORS cant wait till the season starts. everyone tell me they are poop without my man percy, but they didnt play moody that much and they still got superman, rainey, demps, cooper, hernandez,etc. etc plus a BRANDON SPIKES and a more experienced D!!

(SORRY THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS THREAD)

yea i said it... ^^^SUPERMAN^^^
Old 08-03-2009
^Warranty voider

the kid has so many god damn nicknames its hard to keep up. kinda hard to peice together you liking the gators and your in PA shouldn't you be all about PITT or PEN State?
Old 08-03-2009
Registered!!

nah i hate penn state more than any other college team in america. My cuzo played linebacker for the Gators. Johnny Rutledge, that was back when I didnt really know to much about football haha so i just liked them ever since.
Old 08-03-2009
^Warranty voider

i know that name...... how long ago did he play? didn't he go pro in 99? he's with the broncos now right?
Old 08-03-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Running Riot
i know that name...... how long ago did he play? didn't he go pro in 99? he's with the broncos now right?
good gators fan!!! just envy you tho cuz you live right there!
Old 09-15-2009
Registered!!

jerseymike68 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the Borla Parts too and love it, my brother got his used from craigslist but I wanted a valid warranty so I got it here. Borla Parts Exhaust 17110, or you can try one of the sponsors here on the forum, they are allways having sales/specials. Either way its a great exhaust system, sounds great, and very easy to install.