General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Hello and a quick ignition question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JDMerk is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Hello and a quick ignition question.

Hey I just found this forum and seems like a possible good source for info...much like hondaprelude.com I remember from years ago.

Anyway I recently bought a 99 Honda Civic DX hatchback mainly for MPG on the long drive I undertake every day for grad school. The car gets great mileage...roughly 45 if I keep the speedo around 65-70. The only issue is that occasionally, when I start the car it will run for a couple seconds then die before I have a chance to pull out of the driveway. It starts back up just fine and may or may not do it again. Also more rarely it will cut off abruptly while underway, once it did this on the highway. I pulled over and it started right back up...very weird.
It seems like it may be an electrical issue due to the sudden nature of the fault but im not really sure. It is very intermittent and difficult to diagnose. Are there any common issues with this particular model that might cause the issues I am experiencing?

A little about the car itself. It is a 99 honda civic hatchback with a 5sp manual. It has roughly 125k miles on it and had the timing belt replaced about 20k miles ago. Its a base stripped down model with virtually no options so I imagine it has the smallest engine available 1.6 probably?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-14-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hello and a quick ignition question.

it could be the 'main relay' problem. alot of times the solder joints inside will wear out or come loose. all you have to do is open the relay and resolder any bad connections. if the main relay is bad, it can cause intermittent starting failures where the engine will turn over and immediately stall because fuel is shut off. its rare to happen while driving, but possible.
Old 07-14-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JDMerk is an unknown quantity at this point

Are cold solder joints a common problem in the main relay on this car? Ive heard something about a recall on the ignition switch...know anything about that issue?
Old 07-14-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah main relay is a common problem where the solder shrinks or comes loose. its best to remove the old solder with a copper braid and then solder it with new stuff. i havent heard about ignition switch.