General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Silver gear shift plate & touch up paint

Old 04-30-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aimers98 is an unknown quantity at this point
Silver gear shift plate & touch up paint

1. I want to replace the silver gear shifter plate in my 2003 2 door Honda Civic. It is the silver party that goes over the gear's. I can't find this part anywhere or instructions on how to replace it. Any suggestions?

2. I am thinking about touching up some of the dings on my civic. I got the paint code of the door and a local honda dealership can get some touch up paint, but is it going to be an exact match. My concern is my civic isn't always in the garage and I assume the paint has fadded, so if I put the touch up paint on my car it won't completly blend in or match. I am sure it will be a very close match, but after having the same paint job since I purchased the car, I find it hard to believe it is going to be an exact match. Any suggestions, tips, etc?

Thanks!
Old 04-30-2009
Registered!!

cjrager89 will become famous soon enough
Re: Silver gear shift plate & touch up paint

I believe that part you are looking for is #11 on here
http://www.hondapartsnow.com/chassis...ect~lever.html
But you could just put a boot on it like a manual. Makes it look a lot cleaner
#5 here
http://www.hondapartsnow.com/chassis...ect~lever.html
heres a DIY
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...onversion.html
Old 04-30-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

you have to take the console off and lift it off to be able to pry out the shifter trim. i painted mine flat black

Old 04-30-2009
Registered!!

cjrager89 will become famous soon enough

my stock silver one ended up melting to an air freshener i had on my shifter, FREAKING MISSISSIPPI HEAT!!! so i ended up doing the boot thing and put the momo shifter on it
Old 07-05-2009
Registered!!

hood16 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gearbox
you have to take the console off and lift it off to be able to pry out the shifter trim. i painted mine flat black

I need to do the same thing to my wife's car. How do you get the console off to get to the plate? Thanks!
Old 07-05-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

its a long process. there are two clips at the very front, one on each side, and you push the middle in with a paperclip to pop them off. then there are two screws in the very back, one on each side. you need to pull off the console trim piece around the e-brake, and take two more screws out under that. then pull out the trim piece with 12v socket plug. by now the console should be loose. getting it out is another challenge tho. you gotta recline the front seats put the shifter back to 2 position, put ebrake up, and try to maneuver the whole thing out. then the shifter trim pops off from the bottom, and the shift **** has screws behind it.
Old 07-05-2009
Registered!!

hood16 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate it. One more question, what kind of paint did you use on yours? Thanks again
Old 07-05-2009
Delightfully tacky. Yet unrefined

m3gach33zy is an unknown quantity at this point

dang that looks pretty slick painted black.
Old 07-05-2009
Premium Member

i just used flat black spray paint. its held up well for several years, altho i wish i spent more time sanding/prepping and put some extra coats on. its prolly gonna need new paint soon.