General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

headlights tailights interior ligh and foglight flickering need help!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hansolophyem2 is an unknown quantity at this point
headlights tailights interior ligh and foglight flickering need help!!!!!!!!

i have an 2005 honda civic ex coupe and ive notice my headlights and tailights and foglights and interior lights are flickering i dont really know whats going on i need help any ideas?solutoions?
Old 04-21-2009
Registered!!

civicplaya will become famous soon enoughcivicplaya will become famous soon enough
Re: headlights tailights interior ligh and foglight flickering need help!!!!!!!!

You might be drawing too much power. Do you have anything else than stock in your car? Like amps, neons, or anything that draws power?
Old 04-22-2009
Registered!!

Hanzo has a spectacular aura aboutHanzo has a spectacular aura aboutHanzo has a spectacular aura about
Re: headlights tailights interior ligh and foglight flickering need help!!!!!!!!

Probably need a new alternator. That's what happened to me. My lights flickered for like two weeks until i found out it was my alternator. best way to find out is to turn on your car and disconnect the battery and see if the car shuts off. If it does its your alternator, if it doesn't it may be what civicplaya suggested (aftermarket foul play).
Old 04-22-2009
Registered!!

Well when I bought the car it has a new sound system alpine amp and sub and I recently put in hid kit and foglights.its not the altenator cuz I changed that like a month ago when I had the foglights installed...you guys think I just need a new battery?or is it wiring problems?
Old 04-22-2009
Registered!!

Hanzo has a spectacular aura aboutHanzo has a spectacular aura aboutHanzo has a spectacular aura about

I don't think your battery would make the lights flicker so i doubt that's the problem. Could be a wiring problem or a short somewhere. But I'm pretty sure its your alternator. Try the test first and if its not that then see if anyone else has any suggestions. If not then take it to a shop.
Old 04-24-2009
Registered!!

well when we installed the foglights 2 of the fuse got messed up so we replaced those then we replaced the alternator..you think i need a higher power alternator?where can i get one thats more power than the stock alt?
Old 04-25-2009
Registered!!

mrplow123456 will become famous soon enoughmrplow123456 will become famous soon enough

If the alt was brand new, odds are that it was just installed incorrectly. Most alts don't show signs of failure in a months time, but yes, with a system, I would recommend a high output alt and just do a google search for them. As to your problems, does this happen at all times? Try only turning the car on and turn everything off then turn your headlights on, minus the fogs. Also how are your fogs wired? I hope you didn't just use a larger fuse in the factory fuse box.
Old 04-25-2009
Registered!!

recently yes it happens everyday now when i turn on the car meaning just the battery the lights are fine they dont flicker at all but when i turn on the engine thats when the flickering happens its likes the engine sound coincide with the flickering.the fogs are pretty much a plug and play it wasnt too hard so i dont think thats the problem..we didint use any fuse we pretty much just replace the fuse that got messed up with exactly the same factory fuses..
Old 04-25-2009
My Honda Loves Me ^_^

2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, what a coincidence; I, too, was having the flickering problem last night. My interior map light, parking lights and fog lights were flickering while I was warming up my car last night. However, when I switched my HID's on, everything stopped flickering. How weird.

I'll try out that trick while having the car on and disconnecting the battery. It might be the alternator.
Old 04-25-2009
Registered!!

mrplow123456 will become famous soon enoughmrplow123456 will become famous soon enough

Ok well if you are saying that it seems to flicker along with engine rpms, I would try replacing the battery and alternator grounds. You could try a Big 3 upgrade to give your electrical system a little bit more of a jump but you can probably get away with even just sanding down where the terminals meet the body.
Old 04-26-2009
Registered!!

thanks for all the help the altenator they put was a defect so it was replaced hopely this time it last.thanks again
Old 04-27-2009
Registered!!

Glad it was only a bad alternator, hopefully they replaced it at no cost to you. Maybe if it fails again you can ask for the HO alt you want lol.