General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Brake Fluid Change Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ardello11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Brake Fluid Change Maintenance

Standard maintenace schedule includes brake fluid change at 50K. Never changed fluid on previous cars unless I was replacing pads or rotors as part of brake job. Cannot argue that changing brake fluid doesn't hurt...but is it really necessary or should it be optional?
Old 12-19-2008
Registered!!

rjngo will become famous soon enoughrjngo will become famous soon enough
Re: Brake Fluid Change Maintenance

it not mandatory to change your brake fluid...hell i skipped mine too lol
Old 12-19-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

brake fluid is supposed to be changed every 3 yrs, not dependent on mileage. this is to prevent corrosion of the braking system and costly repairs down the road due to the old fluid absorbing water and forming contaminants. no you never have to change it, but you will realize later why you SHOULD change it.
Old 01-02-2009
Registered!!

natey57 is an unknown quantity at this point

^ +1
Old 01-03-2009
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

^gearbox is so smart.
Old 01-03-2009

Albertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond repute

Well, with that said, I'm gonna get it flushed, lol.
Old 01-03-2009
Registered!!

d_lo77 is an unknown quantity at this point

i would do it when the fliud starts to get dark and not clear. its best to do it at the recommended interval but i would wait a couple more years instead. it takes a VERY LONG time for the brake system to start corroding itself even in canadian weather without rustproofing. i would change the fluid once or twice during the entire the life of the car
Old 01-03-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

true you can always tell by looking at the fluid. i do mine at 3 yrs just for peace of mind, the fluid still looked fine.
Old 01-03-2009

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Albertross
Well, with that said, I'm gonna get it flushed, lol.
make a DIY!

btw, is there a proper way to do it?

ive always just bleeded my brake lines untill the reservor almost out and pour some mroe brake fluid in. i usually use up a bottle or two.
Old 01-03-2009
Registered!!

nedct is an unknown quantity at this point

i need a little help posting something..
c mon. don't laugh..
I cant figure out how to post . i started a new thread, some reason i dont think that was the right thing to do.
Old 01-03-2009
Registered!!

nedct is an unknown quantity at this point

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

94 honda civic 1.5
fan motor is not working.. car over heats...tested fan and it works. replaced relay, checked fuses. Car revs to almos 3 gs then cuts to 800 approx. also replaced t-stat before finding fan prob. overheats and floods reservoir
Old 01-04-2009

^make a thread noob o_O

hahaha jk. (but really, make ur own)
Old 01-05-2009
Registered!!

Lord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
make a DIY!

btw, is there a proper way to do it?

ive always just bleeded my brake lines untill the reservor almost out and pour some mroe brake fluid in. i usually use up a bottle or two.
The way I've always been told to do it is to start with the wheel farthest away from the resevoir and work your way closer. If you use a fluid that is a different color it makes it super easy to tell when the new fluid is in the lines. If you are in need of a flush, then they fluid you use to replace will be a different color anyway.

Pump the brake a few times and hold, release the bleeder valve on the caliper then retighten, pump the brake a few times (until firm) and repeat until you can see that the fuid coming out of the bleeder is the new fluid. All the while keeping a careful eye on the resevoir. Make sure the fluid level never goes below the min line. It's very helpful to have 3 people for a flush, unless you have a kit that sucks the fluid out.
Old 01-05-2009

Originally Posted by Lord ET
The way I've always been told to do it is to start with the wheel farthest away from the resevoir and work your way closer. If you use a fluid that is a different color it makes it super easy to tell when the new fluid is in the lines. If you are in need of a flush, then they fluid you use to replace will be a different color anyway.

Pump the brake a few times and hold, release the bleeder valve on the caliper then retighten, pump the brake a few times (until firm) and repeat until you can see that the fuid coming out of the bleeder is the new fluid. All the while keeping a careful eye on the resevoir. Make sure the fluid level never goes below the min line. It's very helpful to have 3 people for a flush, unless you have a kit that sucks the fluid out.
ur suppose to do it the way ur ABS is set up.

and usually after a year, ur fluid turns pretty black...its deffinatly noticeable from the newer fluid
Old 01-05-2009
Premium Member

wow mine has stayed like new even after 3 yrs, almost transparent with lil yellow.