General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

advice on a EK4 that has never been thrashed

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P750ERC is an unknown quantity at this point
advice on a EK4 that has never been thrashed

I'm about to buy my second EK4 for another project. I have found a VTI with reasonable millage. 64k, two owners since new and has never been abused.
I have heard horror stories of Vtec engines that do not use there full rev range having problems. Am I likely to have vtec issues if I buy this none abused VTI?????

Cheers

Last edited by P750ERC; 10-20-2008 at 03:49 AM.
Old 10-20-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: advice on a EK4 that has never been thrashed

i would just clean out the vtec solenoid filter screen and it prolly would be fine. on newer 01+ civics the vtec will not even switch over unless you floor the gas. so most normal drivers never even use it, its for racing and high rpm power.
Old 10-20-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
i would just clean out the vtec solenoid filter screen and it prolly would be fine. on newer 01+ civics the vtec will not even switch over unless you floor the gas. so most normal drivers never even use it, its for racing and high rpm power.
cheers mate. is there any truth in what i was told about making sure you use all your rev range. is it bad for your vtec..... going in to tec and coming out early.... if you no what i mean.lol

cheers again
Old 10-20-2008
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

no its not bad at all. if it was all of our engines would be broke. :| lol. we all slow anyways. i heard that redlining your car occasionally (instead of babying it 24/7) is good for the car. maybe thats where you got that information from.
Old 10-20-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah. staying low in the revs all the time will cause other problems like fouled plugs and such, but nothing a good tuneup and running some quality fuel treatment wont fix. the vtec actually is engaged by a solenoid that changes cam profiles. there is no way for it to really go bad just from not using it. but you could take the solenoid off and clean its filter gasket. other than that, only way it would really mess up is if they neglected the car by not doing oil changes and sludge clogged some of the small oil passages in the cylinder head.
Old 10-20-2008
Registered!!

well thanks to both of you for answerin my question. been a great help
will post more photo's soon let me no what you think..........

cheers