General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Am I loosing my MT????? please help

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
babyontheway is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Am I loosing my MT????? please help

Hey Guys,

I recently changed my MT oil on my honda civic si 96 and since then, when the car is cold in the morning and i change from 1st gear to 2nd gear, i hear and feel a light "crinch", all other changes are fine. Once the car is warm enough, the issue dissapears.

i went back to the garage and they ensured i have the right level of transmission oil and the right viscosity.

Is this normal because the oil is new? i didnt have this issue when i had the old oil.

Please help

thks
Old 05-23-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Am I loosing my MT????? please help

you checked the level with the engine and trans fully warmed up with car still running right?? cause if you check with car off, the fluid level drops way down and wont be accurate. if they did that, they couldve overfilled it which isnt good either. and new fluid is supposed to make the shifts smoother.
Old 05-23-2008
Registered!!

Question Re: Am I loosing my MT????? please help

i don't know if they checked the fluid level while the car was running, i know the garage told me he added a bit more oil (because i went back to him again yesterday after i changed it), as the level was not correct.

i guess i can check the level myself right and add the right oil brand or number.

can you tell me where i can find the MT oil in the engine compartment and which oil i should buy from the automotive shop?. and how should I exactly check it?

thks
Old 05-23-2008
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

run the car on the freeway til the engine warms up, then another 5-10 mins for the trans to warm up. yes it takes longer. pull over somewhere, leave the engine on, and open the hood. im not sure where the dipstick would be for manual trans, but im guessing somewhere on the left side down below. just look for a stick with a colored top ring. pull it out, wipe it with a towel, and put it back in. quickly remove it after a few seconds, and pull straight up. look at where the oil is on the bottom of the stick. theres usually two lines for min and max or a hatched pattern for the level. it should be at the top. if its over the top line, it needs to be redone by the shop.
Old 05-23-2008
Registered!!

Smile Re: Am I loosing my MT????? please help

ok, i will check it - i will update you

thks and GB
Old 05-23-2008
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
reddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to all

Originally Posted by gearbox
im not sure where the dipstick would be for manual trans, but im guessing somewhere on the left side down below.
Umm, he's got a MT - I didn't know there was a dipstick for the 96 manual trannies. I'm assuming it is like the 7th gens where you have a check hole that you put your finger in, and in general you can check it cold or hot on a manual, it shouldn't really matter all that much.

Correct me if I'm wrong, though.
Old 05-23-2008
Registered!!

Lord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of light

I also think that there won't be a dipstick
Old 05-23-2008
Premium Member

like i said, im guessing. i have no clue seeing that i have auto trans.
Old 05-24-2008
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

you actually have to undo the filler bolt on the side of the tranny and fill it until it overflows.
Old 05-25-2008
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

your vtec fluid is low...you needa either get some more or flush it...

Old 05-27-2008
Registered!!

Smile Re: Am I loosing my MT????? please help

Thank you ALL for your answers and help, here is what I found and did:

1- there is no dipstick as this is a MT 6th gen Honda. I downloaded a manual from a site and was able to check the oil level by putting my finger in the oil ring under the car. - oil level was a bit low
2- added some oil to fill it up until the ring cap
3- all seems perfect now, the shift is extremely smooth

someone mentioned the vtec oil??? where is that? and how do i check it?

cheers and thks again for your help
Old 05-27-2008
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light

The VTEC oil was just a joke. lol
Old 05-27-2008
Registered!!

Valdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by babyontheway

someone mentioned the vtec oil??? where is that? and how do i check it?
Thats sig material written all over it!!! hahaha
Old 05-27-2008
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

^yea, its mine....HAHAHAH sorry babyontheway, i just had to do it
Old 05-27-2008
Registered!!

LOL

i will get you back...LOL