General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

need some head torque specifications

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01candycivic is a jewel in the rough01candycivic is a jewel in the rough01candycivic is a jewel in the rough
need some head torque specifications

so i am looking through my haynes manual and it give's me some head spec but i am not shure about them

for the head, it has three step's
step 1. 14lbs
step 2. 36lbs
step 3. 49lbs
it also told me to soke my bolts in oil so i did, now i have oil comming out from under the head. is this right or do i have to have more the then 49lbs on my head bolts. that would explan why there is oil comming out of the head.

i also need the s torque specs for the cam gear, rocker arms and everything else. i need some help. also if anyone knows where a engine wiring harness.i need two PIECES, 1 is ont the trans its a auto and the other is on the condencer.

i need the female end to on the trans here a pic
Old 03-23-2008
Registered!!

01candycivic is a jewel in the rough01candycivic is a jewel in the rough01candycivic is a jewel in the rough
Re: need some head torque specifications

this it the other its the air conditioning pressure switch

Last edited by 01candycivic; 03-23-2008 at 04:41 AM.
Old 03-23-2008
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

That's the right torque procedure for the head bolts. My guess is that you put too much oil on the bolts and that's why some of it squirted out. It "should" be fine though, as long as you don't plan on boosting it.

As far as your other torque specs, the cam bolt has a torque spec, but I always use the universal spec of "about that ****in' tight" on it and have never had any issues, Use a little Loctite if you're worried.

Rocker arm torque specs are in the book at the beginning of the chapter that shows you how to do the valve lash adjustment, 2A if I remember correctly. Also I'm pretty sure the torque spec on them is 19 ft/lbs , but my Haynes is in the garage and it's snowing out right now.

Why did you mess with the rocker arms? Your Haynes manual should have the torque specs for everything in it, they are at the beginning of each chapter. What else did you remove?
Old 03-23-2008
Registered!!

i took the head down to get resurfaced. would have been more if thay had to remove it so i just went ahaed and did it.. this is one big pain in the ***. i was gonna do a full bottom end and a p&p on the head but i just went ahead and put everything back. i made shure it was tdc on the bottom and on the to. did i need to rotate the camgear befor i put the belt on or am i gonna be ok. i should have everything put back together today sometime.... im trying to think about what eles i can ask. oh i think i fixed the harness on the trans, i will find out today if it worked.i hope evert thing turns out ok i am taking mar car to panama city this weekend
Old 03-23-2008

I'm not sure what you mean by do you have to rotate the camgear before putting in back on. If was at TDC when you took it off, and you marked the belt and the gear so they have the exact same position as when you took it off and go back on the same teeth, then you should be fine.
Old 03-23-2008
Registered!!

i cahanged the warter pump and all the belts so i could not mark it
Old 03-23-2008
Registered!!

army12bc will become famous soon enough

http://www.xproductionz.com/servicem.../Civic0105.zip

this is the honda ETM
Old 03-23-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

im not sure why you soaked the bolts in oil. in fact they come pre-oiled in the bags already and you should not need to do anything to them. but if they were dry (aftermarket ones?) i wouldve just wiped them with oil so the threads are lubed.
Old 03-23-2008
Registered!!

ok so i just finished up putting on my headgasket and ill sht **** that goes with it.... and i have a kinda big problem i ha a big *** bolt and i have no idea where it goes. its killing me here in my hand is the bolt

and the other parts i put on
Old 03-24-2008
Registered!!

anyone hahe a idea about this
Old 03-24-2008

Does it have a 12 or 14mm cap on it?
Old 03-24-2008
Registered!!

its a 12
Old 03-24-2008

Did you pull the waterneck off? Those take 12mm bolts.

Umm......it's not from the PS or Alternator cuz the mounting brackets are 14s and it's the 12mms on those are nuts..... Water pump is 10mm....

What about the timing belt tensioner? That takes 12mm bolts.

Clutch slave 12mm bolts are shorter than that and you shouldn't have taken those off.....some of the IM bolts are 12mm, did you take any of those off?

You got all the rocker assembly bolts back on?
Old 03-24-2008
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of

I never keep bolts organized anymore. I put them in a pile and I always know what I need from that pile as I reassemble stuff. lol
Old 03-24-2008

I'm the same way Rufus. There only 3 choices anyway, 10, 12 and 14mm and they have their corresponding marks on the "O-****!" meter when they are left over. 12mm is about a 3.5 or 4 since the dial goes to 10.
Old 03-24-2008
Registered!!

yeah i keep going over where it came from and i remember putting on all the bolts..... should i start it anyway....
Old 03-24-2008
Registered!!

if it bolws up im just gonna burn it
Old 03-24-2008
Registered!!

i got good news and bad... the good i have it put back together.... the BAD i still cant find out where the fuc@ing bolt goes, and i have gas comming out of the injector next to the cam gear...oh and it will not start, so does anyone want to buy a civic
Old 03-24-2008
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

im tempted to say bottom of the intake mani, you can reach it from the top with a short socket wrench. same happened after my head swap. and it caused a rattle sound when they werent bolted back in.

if it wont start, try making sure all the vacuum lines and connectors are plugged back in including ones around the timing area like tdc, cpk, crank, cam etc.
Old 03-25-2008
Registered!!

ill look again when i wake up i just got off work its 5:39 am. if anything i am just gonna rip everything back off and do it again. should not be hard. it looks like there might be some red **** on the threds. i rember putting the intake on wheen the head was off the car so i dont think that was the bolt. but u might be right ill check it out.... good looking out gearbox.
Old 03-25-2008
Registered!!

nope i have al the damn bolts in it. i had to order new o-rings for the ijectors the orange one that goes into the M/F. and i think i might need a new injector so if anyone has a stock one laying around give me a price or can i just put rsx in. ill get a pic up so you can see it. my parts will get in thur. so keep you fingers crossed
Old 03-27-2008
Registered!!

ok i am going to burn this damn car. i have everything back together i still cant find where the bolt goes. i started it up at frist it idoled a little high around 15 hundred rpms and went back down to just under 10. so i took it for a ride i was doing fine intil it was trying to die on me. i was down the street from my house and so i pushed it to try to get back home. well that did not happen cause it died on me. it would start and then die again, i coulsd hear my ecu shutting off befoe it died.. after 4 times of it dieing on me i just held my foot on the damn gas and said **** it... it started and i was off... what the hell is causing this? i think i am going to rip it back down and redo everything,,,,,,,