General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

My new toy

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008
BLDNPSI Mod
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
My new toy

My new toy i picked up today.... $800!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-15-2008
Diamond Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Envy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of light
Re: My new toy

ummmm.....call me a n00b....but what is that thing taking over your garage?
Old 02-15-2008
Don't be a n00b, search ftw

01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future

Looks like a TIG welder to me
Old 02-15-2008
BLDNPSI Mod

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute

miller 330 a bp Tig welder
Old 02-15-2008
BLDNPSI Mod

used a tow truck to bring it home, its about 850-1000 lbs!
Old 02-15-2008
Diamond Member

Envy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of light

holy sh*t. thats a lot of weight. haha and perfectttt now you can make your own turbo and exhaust manifolds. right?
Old 02-16-2008
Registered!!

HonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond repute

nice pick up. everyone needs a good tig welder.
Old 02-16-2008
Registered!!

Wolfgang5884 has a spectacular aura aboutWolfgang5884 has a spectacular aura aboutWolfgang5884 has a spectacular aura about

Sweet stuff! That's definitely gonna come in handy!
Old 02-16-2008
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

wow where did you find it?
Old 02-16-2008
BLDNPSI Mod

Originally Posted by gearbox
wow where did you find it?
Craigs list
Old 02-16-2008
BLDNPSI Mod

I had been looking for one of these for a few years. And all were about $900+ and NOT water cooled torch. This was 3 miles from my house and only $800!
Old 03-03-2008
BLDNPSI Mod

Well i finally found some EXTRA cash and got some argon and tungsten....

This is my first mild steel welds.... Top 5 beads are without filler

And here are a few more after maybe 20 minutes of practice...

First question is concerning starting the ARC. It seems that sometimes the high frequency start works fine and will bridge the gap. Other times it seems like i need to scratch start. And I've checked the contact point gap and is with in specs (.010" as i recall). I have the HF adjusted to max and still isn't constant on the HF starts. Any suggestions / advise is welcome.
Old 03-03-2008
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

Tom, stop. That's way too much welder for you. You just wheel it over to the corner of your garage, put a cover over it, and I'll pick it up in September when I move back to the states. Really. I'm doing this for you. I don't need a nice Miller TIG like that, but I want to do you a favor.
Old 03-03-2008
BLDNPSI Mod

lol...... I've tried some aluminum but only did beads minus filler and that was a totaly new experince. I want to get some scrap stainless and practice on it a bit. I need a bigger garage thats for sure. Every time i get something newin the garage that means there is something thats getting tossed out ! lol. Gunna be doing the turbo install on sons car in the next few weeks and building a downpipe and and oil pan drain
Old 03-03-2008
Registered!!

j182j has a spectacular aura aboutj182j has a spectacular aura aboutj182j has a spectacular aura about

If your able to weld aluminum then your HF should be working fine, you have to have that to weld aluminum. Sometimes the HF wont work on steel, if the torch is to far from the metal, or if you have a bad ground, but if you can weld aluminum fine than you should be good to go
Old 03-03-2008
BLDNPSI Mod

did some more practicing this afternoon......

Old 03-03-2008
Registered!!

02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light

Looks like those welds in the first pic are a lil too hot. You can tell by the elongation of the puddle. Practice with fillet welds instead of flat welds at first too. Usually if you tack an L together you have a place to ride the cup on, making it easier to learn what things need to look like without having to focus as much on steadying the torch. Make sure to use filler wire all the time. there are a few exceptions but for the most part there isnt a whole lotta strength in fused welds, especially with aluminum. There is a very fine line with steel and stainless as far as heat goes. cut it back untill it doesnt look dark and dirty. Hot rolled steel usually doesnt look quite as pretty as cold rolled but you can still get that nice rainbow coloring if its clean. If its blue after it cools, usually that means you could use just a lil more heat. Stainless and steel weld very much the same. If you practice on clean steel its much cheaper than stainless. Clean metal and good grounds are key to good welds. The quality of a weld joint relies on weld prep just as much as the skill of the person holding the torch, if not, more. The machine you are using is probably a little fussy with DC starts, the newer machines are much easier to use. I can start my arc with sub 10 amp output without the arc dancing around. Makes welding 16-18ga stainless a lot easier when the machine runs steady at 20 amps haha. I actually didnt do very well with that stuff until recently. We just had a big job and I had so much to weld I really honed in on those friggin microscopic welds, hehe. Even the veterans have welds they could use more practice on. Its all a matter of experience, the more you do, the better you get.

Last edited by 02fpcivic; 03-03-2008 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-03-2008
Registered!!

02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light

ps Dont move so much before you fill. go about half the thickness of the previous puddle, then dab the wire.
Old 03-03-2008
BLDNPSI Mod

Thanks for the input. I need to find some scrap SS to practice on also. Im going to try and practice 20-30 minutes a nite.
Old 03-03-2008
Registered!!

You'll be doing ok in no time, just don't get frustrated and give up. Just like modding these damn 7thgens, determination separates the men from the boys.
Old 03-03-2008
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by tfnaaf
miller 330 a bp Tig welder
someone translate this in english please?
Old 03-03-2008
BLDNPSI Mod

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
someone translate this in english please?
Older VERY big and heavy tig welder. An equal amperage machine by todays standard would be $6000-7000 approx. As far as what the abp stands for im not 100% sure
Old 03-07-2008
BLDNPSI Mod

did some aluminum tonight!

Old 03-07-2008
Premium Member

Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of

clean!
Old 03-12-2008
Registered!!

Rinasdaddy is an unknown quantity at this point

very nice man! Coming along well!