General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

'94 EX door lock/electrical problems/question

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
victor.m is an unknown quantity at this point
'94 EX door lock/electrical problems/question

Well basically I'm new to all this and just got my first car. It's a '94 Civic EX and it has a few quirks here and that I'd like to sort out before I move onto anything else.

First off is the power locks and the driver side door specifically. I am unable to unlock or lock the driverside door from the outside using the keys or even from the inside using the powerlocks switch. The switch opens the passenger door and locks it just fine, but the driver door can't do much. I can lock/unlock it if I pull on the door lever and then manually push/pull the lock latch. The guy that sold me the car said it basically had to do with disconnecting something because it made it easy to steal, anyone have any idea how to solve/troubleshoot this? It sucks to have to come in through the passenger door since I can't even unlock the driver door from the outside using my key.

Second off, I have a bit of a problem with the passenger window. I can raise and lower it just fine from the driver-side control panel, but the passenger side panel can only lower it, can't raise it. So basically the passenger side can only lower its window, and I can lower or raise any of the windows on my driver control panel. Again, any idea on how to solve/troubleshoot?

Thanks a lot in advance guys, I'm completely new to this and have no idea where to start, although I did get the Haynes manual for my car. Just looking to get all this actually working =)

I'm also gonna note that there are 2 connectors with blue headers dangling under my passenger side of the dash (under the glove compartment). Not sure if those are for the passenger side speaker or whatnot, but I can't seem to find out if they have anything to do with anything.

Thanks again =)
Old 01-13-2008
Registered!!

mdawg is on a distinguished road
Re: '94 EX door lock/electrical problems/question

Can you lock the door with your keys when its shut? The door has to be shut to do it otherwise you have to pull the handle then lock it, its a safety feature.
Old 01-13-2008
Registered!!

Nope. The keys seem to turn too easily too, like it's not clinging on to anything. I can't lock or unlock the driver door from the outside, the only way of doing it is to go inside, and to unlock I just flip the lock latch, but to lock again I have to halfway pull the lever and then flip the latch down. This also locks the passenger side door. The power lock switch locks/unlocks the passenger door, but not the driver door.

Hope that info helps
Old 01-13-2008
Registered!!

lemac will become famous soon enough

I would venter to say he pulled the rod that goes to the lock mechanism. Either pull the door panel off and figure a way to put the rod back on, take it back to the guy who did it and ask him to fix it, or pay some1 to fix it. Good luck with it, oh btw replace the window switch... call around at local junk yards they wont be more than 5 bucks I bet.
Old 01-13-2008
Registered!!

I'm gonna go with opening up the door myself and checking out the rods. Hopefully I don't mess anything up, and even more hopefully if he disconnected the rod it's still there. I hope the disassembly is in my Haynes manual; it has how to take off the panel but I don't know if I can mess inside of the door (take off the inner steel panel?).

Also, when you say the switch - do you mean just the switch or the whole mount with the switch? I'm gonna check out a local junkyard and see if I can pull one.
Old 01-13-2008
Registered!!

sorry, double post. :/