General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Hds = Obd2 ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
abadfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Hds = Obd2 ???

Hi all,

I have a 2008 Civic Hybrid. I also bit the bullet and spent $125 on the factory service manual since I plan on doing much of the maintenance myself.

I was looking at the oil change procedure. When oil is replaced, the manual states to connect the HDS (Honda Diagnostic System) to the DLC (Data Link Connector) to reset the Maintenance Minder and the Engine Oil Life.

Will an OBD2 device can do the same thing?? OBD2 readers are quite cheap compared to the HDS. Looking at prices on Ebay the HDS costs ~$2K (so presumably it would cost more at a retail site). I don't mind spending money on specialized tools but that's a lot more than I'm willing to pay for a tool that I won't use that often, especially if I can get a cheaper tool that can do the same job.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-27-2007
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all
Re: Hds = Obd2 ???

generic obd2 scanners cannot access manufacturer specific functions. There are scanners out there that can do it, but are gonna be priced similarly to the HDS, but are flexible enough to use on other makes. There was a company that used to make devices that you could connect to the DLC and whose only function was to reset the oil light, I dont know if they still make them or if they make them for honda. damn that "type B" service light.

thats a $290 matco oil light reset tool for use on VW/audi, benz, bmw and volvo. Like i said, you might be able to find a jap version somewhere else.

Last edited by skipbarber; 11-27-2007 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-27-2007
Registered!!

So the Maintenance Minder and Engine Oil Life are manufacturer specific?? damn!

What, if any, are the repercussions if I do not reset these?

There is also a dashboard oil life monitor that is resettable on the dash (pressing and holding the SEL/RESET button). This will reset the oil life monitor on the dash. Will this be affected if I do not reset the Engine Oil Life with the HDS?? (or are they one in the same?)

On a related note, what does a "generic" OBD2 scanner do for me with my vehicle? Obviously, it'll do the generic OBD2 stuff. But does Honda actually use the generic OBD2 codes? Or do they only use their manufacturer specific codes? Can I use an OBD2 device to reset things (e.g. check engine light)?? I don't want to get an OBD2 scanner if its useless for my vehicle.

Last edited by abadfish; 11-27-2007 at 12:44 PM.
Old 11-27-2007
Registered!!

Lord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of light

I know that my girlfriend just goes to the dealership and they reset the light for free in like 5 minutes. Is that an option for you? She's got an 07 lx.
Old 11-27-2007
Registered!!

FoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of light

No No No.....dude you don't have to have a scan tool to reset the maint. light.
Cycle through the trip a,trip b, odometer.....get to the oil % screen. Just hold down the trip reset button as you turn the car to the on position, the maint req light will flash or percentage will flash, continue holding for 10-15 seconds, the light will go off completely or percentage will return to 100%......thats it. Even on the hybrid it's that easy. Takes 15 seconds at the most. No HDS requirred.....I actually use our toyota scan tool rather than the HDS when working on my car at my dealership. The HDS is SLOW!!

P.S. You can actually do it from the scan tool but that takes forever!!!
Just swing by any honda dealership, they can show you.

Last edited by FoSho; 11-27-2007 at 06:02 PM.
Old 11-27-2007
Registered!!

Okay, so if I understand you correctly, I can reset the Oil Life monitor by either the SEL/RESET button or an HDS. And I don't have to do both, right???

FoSho, you said that I can still do it from a scan tool. Were you referring to an OBD2 scan tool or HDS?? Also, you mentioned that you use a Toyota scan tool. How much are those (I would consider buying one of those since my other car is a Toyota)?

So is it worth getting a generic OBD2 scan tool to use with my '08 Civic Hybrid?

Last edited by abadfish; 11-27-2007 at 06:31 PM.
Old 11-27-2007
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all

Originally Posted by FoSho
No No No.....dude you don't have to have a scan tool to reset the maint. light.
Cycle through the trip a,trip b, odometer.....get to the oil % screen. Just hold down the trip reset button as you turn the car to the on position, the maint req light will flash or percentage will flash, continue holding for 10-15 seconds, the light will go off completely or percentage will return to 100%......thats it. Even on the hybrid it's that easy. Takes 15 seconds at the most. No HDS requirred.....I actually use our toyota scan tool rather than the HDS when working on my car at my dealership. The HDS is SLOW!!

P.S. You can actually do it from the scan tool but that takes forever!!!
Just swing by any honda dealership, they can show you.
i thought you could only reset the type A service reminder. my mistake, but ive never been able to get the type B service light to go off and stay off.
Old 11-28-2007
Registered!!

FoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of light

Yes true, skip.....honda varies on how to reset them.....CVR's & pilots reset off trip b, ridgelines off trip a......but I usually get most of the civic's off of the oil life/precentage screen. If it doesn't work on the % screen, just try holding on trip a or b.

You cannot reset the maint req. light with a generic obd2....only the HDS can get into that function.

I just use the toyota scan tool for code reading/clearing & freeze frame, it's just plain faster than the HDS.

The toyota scan tool ran us about $1,500
I wouldn't buy a scan tool for a 08 civic hybrid......most codes you will be able to read autozone or orielys can give to you for free. All other codes are only going to be retrievable by a honda dealership. ie....hybrid system codes
Old 11-28-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by FoSho
You cannot reset the maint req. light with a generic obd2....only the HDS can get into that function.
So if I do all my own maintenance, I won't be able to make the Maintence Minder light go away??
Old 11-28-2007
Registered!!

No, you can reset it manually. I actually just did an 2008 civic hybrid today, so I'm refreshed.
Follow the instructions.....

-Turn car to the 'ON' position, do not start vehicle!
-Select oil life/% screen
-Hold down the odometer reset button for 10 seconds
-After the 10 seconds the oil life/% screen will start to blink
-Release the rest button for 5 seconds, the screen will continue to blink
-After the 5 seconds hit the reset button again for another 5-10 seconds
-The light & the oil % will go back to 100% after the last step.

Good Luck!
Old 11-29-2007
Registered!!

Thanks!