General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Custom Interior Trim --> What should I do??

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DJ Silkie is an unknown quantity at this point
Custom Interior Trim --> What should I do??

I used to drive a 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS. In this little car I completely customized the entire interior to my liking. I removed and masked all the pieces I wanted painted, cleaned them, dried them, painted several layers applying the correct type of paint, and clear coated them.

Problem was, was that I had a very limited budget as to I was only 17 when I did this and wasn't working at the time. I spent about 30 bucks on plastic-bonding spray paint, clearcoat protectant spray paint, and painters masking tape from Wal*Mart.

After about 3 days of on and off work, I had the entire interior (what used to be all tan and black) now black and blue. I was very proud of my work and decided to top it off with some seat covers, steering wheel cover, interior blue neon, a new set of carpet, custom guages, and trick pedals.

I want to do the same to the car I drive now: a 1995 Honda Civic EX. Except something came up...

I was driving around one day and I saw this guy who had the same thing I had done in my Eclipse, done to his Dodge Neon SRT. Excpet, his was obviously not done with spray paint from Wal Mart. His was painted to replicate the exterior custom blue paint he had. The little plastic pieces in his car were glossy pollished and sparkely EXACTLY like car paint on the outside.

So should I...

A) Go with a personal custom look. Buy more Plastic-Bonding spray paint from Wal Mart and do it myself again? This would most likely be MUCH cheaper and less time consuming. Although not as convenient for me.

OR

B) Find a proffessional to do the work for me. This would make the pieces glossy, shiney, and well...proffessional. I would probably be more happy with this result...except...

I have no idea where to get it done! Should I just go to a bodyshop? Just say, I want you to pop out all these pieces and paint them electric blue. Who would do something like this???

Here is a pic of my Eclipse interior after all the custom work I did.

Last edited by DJ Silkie; 06-03-2007 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Minor re-wording
Old 06-03-2007
Registered!!

SSMCivic2k5 has a spectacular aura aboutSSMCivic2k5 has a spectacular aura aboutSSMCivic2k5 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Custom Interior Trim --> What should I do??

are those seats custom too??? lol
Old 06-03-2007
Registered!!

Ha no...I just slapped some cheap seat covers over the stock bucket seats. I didn't have leather interior so its not hiding anything speacial. I just wanted to hide the Huge bold tan seats in the middle of everywhere.
Old 06-03-2007
Registered!!

tuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to all

DON'T DO IT!!!! i had tan and brown in mine...now it's all black and i did it myself same as you with the eclipse. note to first-timers: don't use glossy paint on the dash, the glare sucks ***...
Old 06-03-2007
Registered!!

slickstarnz is an unknown quantity at this point

Go to a place that specializes in automotive paints, have them mix up a batch to the exact color you want. You can get it in a normal spray container from what I understand. Guy I know did that with his celica and the paint looked as clear and glossy as factory exterior paint. Just remember that prep and sanding between layers is what seperates ok from amazing.
Old 06-03-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by slickstarnz
Go to a place that specializes in automotive paints, have them mix up a batch to the exact color you want. You can get it in a normal spray container from what I understand. Guy I know did that with his celica and the paint looked as clear and glossy as factory exterior paint. Just remember that prep and sanding between layers is what seperates ok from amazing.
So just look around for any 'ol place that does body painting? And as far as the work itself goes...I was hoping to find a place the could do it FOR me. Because I'm no good at painting things. I screw up everything and would want a proffessional to do all the work for me.
Old 06-03-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Dude, I dont like how it looks, but if you do... make sure you do it the color of your exterior, otherwise it'll look like butt.

get your OEM pain in a spray can here: www.paintscratch.com

Happy spraying.
Old 06-03-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by tuningmycivic
DON'T DO IT!!!! i had tan and brown in mine...now it's all black and i did it myself same as you with the eclipse. note to first-timers: don't use glossy paint on the dash, the glare sucks ***...
Ha, naw I'm not painting EVERYTHING in the car. My civic already has black interior. I'm just wanting the trim to be glossy electric blue.
Old 06-03-2007
Registered!!

xcrxss is on a distinguished road

I would buy trim pieces. Thats what I think I'm going to do, the lazy way out, but looks good and has good reviews..

http://www.autoanything.com/dash-kits/11A50694.aspx

Put in your info (like year, car, etc.) and then scroll down to the speacialty pieces and you'll see a couple of them have blue trim.
Old 06-03-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xcrxss
I would buy trim pieces. Thats what I think I'm going to do, the lazy way out, but looks good and has good reviews..

http://www.autoanything.com/dash-kits/11A50694.aspx

Put in your info (like year, car, etc.) and then scroll down to the speacialty pieces and you'll see a couple of them have blue trim.
Thanks for the suggestion. However I looked at the site and, despite the good price, if you read the description, it states that the "pieces" they sell are just stickers you place over the top of the already placed trim pieces. I want the pieces in my civic to be entirely removed, painted, and placed again. Giving them a perfect finish look. Not stickers.

Also, there were no blue trim options. Just carbon fiber, and different types of make-shift wood.

However...If I am wrong and they aren't stickers (I could have just read something wrong) I also found that the kits they come in, have pieces that wont fit my car. I don't have power anything. So I want to trim pieces that are ACTUALLY in my car. Also, It allows me to choose what pieces I want trimmed.

Last edited by DJ Silkie; 06-03-2007 at 08:39 PM. Reason: addition to response
Old 06-03-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by TRIZ
Dude, I dont like how it looks, but if you do... make sure you do it the color of your exterior, otherwise it'll look like butt.

get your OEM pain in a spray can here: www.paintscratch.com

Happy spraying.
I think your slightly blinded by the low quality picture...The job in the eclipse was actually very nice, just not what I wanted. Also, If I made the trim pieces inside the car the same as my exterior, it would be black on black. My civic has a really nice jet black paint job, and is getting blue underglow. As I want the interior to be black with blue accents.
Old 06-03-2007
Ultra-Platinum Super Bonus Member

So.Ill.EM2 is just really niceSo.Ill.EM2 is just really niceSo.Ill.EM2 is just really niceSo.Ill.EM2 is just really nice

how about you be smart now and don't paint on the interior at all.......because you'll regret it later...

the black interior in the civics are pure sex. they already look dope. if you do anything, get a new shift **** and boot, some recaro's, and maybe black suede door panels...then you'll be ballin' in subtle, but sexy, style...

just my .02
Old 06-03-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by So.Ill.EM2
how about you be smart now and don't paint on the interior at all.......because you'll regret it later...

the black interior in the civics are pure sex. they already look dope. if you do anything, get a new shift **** and boot, some recaro's, and maybe black suede door panels...then you'll be ballin' in subtle, but sexy, style...

just my .02
You're sort of right sort of wrong. I do think that the layout in a civic is quite nice. However, I purchaced this car when I had very little money so It's an automatic, has no sunroof, and no power anything. So it's kinda lame. I don't like THAT much black anyway. My Eclipse however, after triming it, I loved it, and so did my friends. I had no regrets. You might not like it, but I do. I want my ride to stand out and draw attention. I want to have all that custom trim, seats, carpet, floormatts, neon glow, sterringwheel, stereo, everything that is unique. I want to MOD THIS CAR...not just get a new shift **** and call it good...that's boring.

Last edited by DJ Silkie; 06-03-2007 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-03-2007

So.Ill.EM2 is just really niceSo.Ill.EM2 is just really niceSo.Ill.EM2 is just really niceSo.Ill.EM2 is just really nice

Originally Posted by DJ Silkie
I want to have all that custom trim, seats, carpet, floormatts, neon glow, sterringwheel, stereo, everything that is unique. I want to MOD THIS CAR...not just get a new shift **** and call it good...that's boring.
*cough cough*

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...you might want to consider a new forum...because this one does not like stupid crap like that...

try www.wannabefastwannabefurious.com

and no, that's not a real site....
Old 06-03-2007
Registered!!

*cough cough*

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...you might want to consider a new forum...because this one does not like stupid crap like that...

try www.wannabefastwannabefurious.com

and no, that's not a real site....
I think YOU might wanna try another forrum...myabe one that's more centered around immature kids with attitude problems. I have done nothing wrong by modding my civic. There are plenty of other people on this site who mod just as I do. Besides I've already done over half that stuff anyway. Check my profile, I have a HUGE list of mods. I've put alot of time and effort into this project and I don't need to take crap from loosers like you for it. Just because you don't have the same goals for your car as me, doesn't mean you can go around giving **** to everyone else who does. To me, a car is more than just a form of transportation. So what if I have high standards for it, it's a hobby and I love it. You keep your car the way you like it, and I'll keep mine the way I like mine. If you don't like it, tough. I didn't ask for you to state your opinion on my asperations of my vehicle...just the interior trim paint.
Old 06-03-2007
New Mod on the Block

Rennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond repute

[edited]
n/m. i just remembered that i have to try and not hurt peoples' feelings.

Last edited by Rennen; 06-03-2007 at 09:35 PM.
Old 06-03-2007
Red Hot Chili Peppers....bitch

RHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond repute

that looks like ****, i hope you dont ruin your civic by doing the same thing...ricer
Old 06-03-2007
Registered!!

Lord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of light

^^ i second that. and your profile has about 100 misspelled words. bought, horrible...etc...
Old 06-03-2007

lol told you to find a new forum....
Old 06-03-2007
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

1. Your car looked terrible.
2. That's the ugliest interior I ever seen.
3. Your car looked terrible.

This is my interior. Get a pen. Take some notes. Come back again when I'm done.

Old 06-03-2007

see what i mean??

that interior is sex!!!

just needs some vacuuming, eh dex?
Old 06-03-2007
Feel safe at night, sleep with a paramedic.

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute

How about just OEM dash trim?? Fits right, matches the accents elsewhere in the car, like on my shift boot.

If you decide to pull random pieces off your interior, and paint them blue, why stop there?? Do the same to the outside of the car. You could paint your mirrors, door handles, trunk trim, grill, etc. the same blue, to carry your theme over to the outside of your car, too. Good luck with your project.
Old 06-03-2007
Registered!!

widegts is on a distinguished road

wrap pieces in carbon fiber! It looks clean and will appeal to alot more people that bright colors.
Old 06-03-2007
Red Hot Chili Peppers....bitch

RHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmbulanceMonkee
If you decide to pull random pieces off your interior, and paint them blue, why stop there?? Do the same to the outside of the car. You could paint your mirrors, door handles, trunk trim, grill, etc. the same blue, to carry your theme over to the outside of your car, too. Good luck with your project.
Old 06-03-2007
New Mod on the Block

Rennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond repute

ibtl .
Old 06-03-2007
Registered!!

Lord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of light

we may sound quite rude, but honestly it's to help you out in the long run...
Old 06-04-2007
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

see what i mean??

that interior is sex!!!

just needs some vacuuming, eh dex?
haha ya
I spent 5 hours cleaning it Friday, didn't want to wear my shoes in it!
Old 06-04-2007
Registered!!

Ok you guys seriously need help...lol

I'm not gonna get all upset about a bunch of loosers calling me names because I prefer not to get worked up over little kids.

SO! I'll take this last post to re-cap what I was talking about because you guys are too caught up in insults to even stay on topic...

...So here...

I used to drive a 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS. In which I customized the interior. I had the idea correct, but because of lack of budget, skill and materials, it came out like crap. (hence the pic I showed) Thus I decided never to do that again.

However, one day on the road I saw one guy who was driving a very clean Dodge Neon SRT. He also had the custom painted accent trim interior like my eclipse. Except his was done MUCH nicer. The paint on the plastic trim pieces was painted to exactly mimic the custom paint on the outside. It was massively glossy and had that automotive "sparkle" to it.

After seeing the project I had attempted done right, I decided I wanted to try it again on my 1995 Honda Civic EX. But THIS time, I want someone with the right skill and meterials to do it for me. So it looks like that other dude's. I want the normal stock black dash, with all the little plastic pieces that pop out painted (very nicely painted) sort of an electric blue. I want the painted pieces glossy and finished, smooth and resistant to small scratches. The same finish you might see on custom woodgrain in a car. It would almost simulate glass.

Now if you guys read this and still have crap to say go ahead. I am done with this thread. I'll be back with more questions later so don't worry. I'll still be here and you can call me more names. But if you insist on by changing the trim of my interior I am a "Ricer" than you are as well because you mod your honda too. So stop contradicting yourselves and worry about other things.

P.S. - I know I'm a horrable speller
Old 06-04-2007
Registered!!

Civicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of light

ya get the oem paint in spray can best way to so it just finished my interior up last night
Old 06-04-2007
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to all

When you go over the top with things you drive along a very fine line between tacky, and nice...Learn from your first mistake and move on. Personally, I just wanna get the all weather OE mats for the rear, and leather wrap my seats and I will be set

Quick Reply: Custom Interior Trim --> What should I do??