General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Blown Shocks: Front or Rear Usually?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
klam is an unknown quantity at this point
Blown Shocks: Front or Rear Usually?

Regarding blown shocks from people who have lowered (or not), which wheel was it, front or rear?

I'm considering suspension upgrades, but mild upgrades since this is a daily driver. I'm thinking Eibach Pro-Kit and Koni Yellow. How about just replacing the rear shocks first since it seems those are the ones leading to the car's bouncy under damped ride it seems. And eventually getting the front ones later when the budget allows (getting rims, tires, and suspension soon).
Old 03-24-2002
Registered!!

CivicPro01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Rears usually blow out first but I have the same plan you do.
Old 03-24-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
it sound slike a good plan.. but this can possibly make handling very dangerous with grossly different damping rates bbeteen the front and back.. just save a week bit more and get all 4 corners in 1 shot..plus the camber kits,,

Cheers
Mohawk
Old 03-24-2002
Registered!!

antidote11 is an unknown quantity at this point
My front one blew first......I think the front ones would usually blow first because of the weight
and the stress the front end suspension goes through. Plus they are McPherson's, so they suck anyways....
Old 03-24-2002
Registered!!

klam is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah you are probably right Mohawk... stiffened up suspension on rear might cause oversteer problems... hmm... I guess I'll just have to save up more!
Old 03-26-2002
Registered!!

FurBall is an unknown quantity at this point

<< Yeah you are probably right Mohawk... stiffened up suspension on rear might cause oversteer problems... hmm... I guess I'll just have to save up more! >>

My front ones blew in under a year, under normal driving conditions, on a stock car. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG]

Damn dealer is taking their sweet *** time to get the parts in. I've been waiting for over 4 weeks already, and now I hear that they're waiting on springs?? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG] So, I just might get a new set of springs AND shocks for the front [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-26-2002
Registered!!

Kion is an unknown quantity at this point

<<

<< Yeah you are probably right Mohawk... stiffened up suspension on rear might cause oversteer problems... hmm... I guess I'll just have to save up more! >>

My front ones blew in under a year, under normal driving conditions, on a stock car. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG]
>>

what kinda symptoms did you experience? my rears are starting to make a lot of creaking noises under normal driving, stock suspension but slightly bigger wheel/tire combo than stock
Old 03-26-2002
Registered!!

GustavSi is an unknown quantity at this point
what happens when a shock blows? is the car more boucier? just so I know...
Old 03-27-2002
Registered!!

FurBall is an unknown quantity at this point

<< what kinda symptoms did you experience? my rears are starting to make a lot of creaking noises under normal driving, stock suspension but slightly bigger wheel/tire combo than stock >>

Well, I had problems the first day I drove off the lot. My driver side wheel well area had a "squeaky spring" sound everytime I went over a bump... I took it in like 3-5 times, and each time they would do something different to it. Regrease it, replace the spring, the shock, etc....

Then, during my 16k servicing, I asked them to check the problem again, and they said that both front shocks were leaking... New shocks for me

I'm still running on the leaking shocks, and my ride is HORRIBLE. I'm comparing this to a 2k2 EL rental that I had, with only 4000km on it, and non-leaking shocks.... My ride is bumpy, harsh, and really hurts the car....sounds like it at least...