General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

How to replace a front rotor

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gbwells is an unknown quantity at this point
How to replace a front rotor

I need instructions on how to replace a front rotor on my 2000 Civic SI. I really need help.
Old 01-11-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
cummon buddy- after you yank the wheel off your half way there.

1) park on a level surface, put block behind rear wheels, loosen front lugnuts on the wheel your doing work on, jack up the front of the car, slide the jack stands under it.
2) Remove the loosened lugnuts and slide the tire off. Give it a good inspection
3) follow this diagram in figuring out how it connected.

That should do it for ya
Old 01-11-2007
Registered!!

lxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the rough
The rotor wont' just fall off though, your gonna need to hit it a little with a hammer on the back to get it to come off.
Old 01-15-2007
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light
Hardest part is getting the screw off if its rusted.
Old 01-15-2007
Registered!!

Nyte will become famous soon enoughNyte will become famous soon enough
Yeahh, if the screw is rusted good luck. I went to honda and bought new screws, then i drilled out the old one cuz i had no luck getting it out. after i drilled it out i tapped the side with a mallet and the rotors popped out. but no matter what i think you should buy extra screws cuz i'm guessing you may strip the old ones or something. I thought getting the screws off was the hardest part.
Old 01-15-2007
Official Wish He Knew It All

HyeHonda05 will become famous soon enough
My mechanic told me you dont need the screw actually. He was saying that they are there only to hold the rotor in place while the car is on the assmbely line and that it does not do anything really after that since the wheel holds the rotor on.
Old 01-15-2007
Registered!!

Nyte will become famous soon enoughNyte will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by HyeHonda05
My mechanic told me you dont need the screw actually. He was saying that they are there only to hold the rotor in place while the car is on the assmbely line and that it does not do anything really after that since the wheel holds the rotor on.
Well yeah cuz it just holds the rotor enough for it to stay on, but..you should just get new screws anyways. they're like $.10cents at honda for each.. So its no harm getting new ones.
Old 01-15-2007
Retired suspension supermod.

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Nyte
Well yeah cuz it just holds the rotor enough for it to stay on, but..you should just get new screws anyways. they're like $.10cents at honda for each.. So its no harm getting new ones.

You don't need the screws. I have been running fine without them since the first time I changed my rotors. Most European cars don't even come with them.

the harm in getting new ones is that they are cheap metal that warps easily and makes it difficult for you to change your rotors.
Old 01-15-2007
Life Begins > 6800rpms

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
Yeah, the screws are worthless in a floating rotor. Just drill the old ones out and dont bother replacing them; they are more for the factorys use on the line.
Old 01-15-2007
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
to take those scres off go to sears or something and get an impact screwdriver.......it works wondners......worth the 20 bucks
Old 01-15-2007
Registered!!

EM2 Shinobi is an unknown quantity at this point
ya the correct tool to take the rotors off is a impact screw driver, not some hand power device
Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
to take those scres off go to sears or something and get an impact screwdriver.......it works wondners......worth the 20 bucks