General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Wiper switch assembly - LX to EX??

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
k-man is an unknown quantity at this point
Wiper switch assembly - LX to EX??

I have an 04 LX coupe with the 3 speed intermitant wiper setup, but i beleive the EX (Canadian Si) has variable intermitant vipers......

It drives me insane when the rain falls too slowly for the slowest setting and i have to keep manually cleaning the window or otherwise hear the wipers going over a dry window.........yes im crazy

I was thinking, in order to get variable intermitant, is it as easy as purchasing the switch assembly from honda for an 04 EX (Canadian Si)??? Would the switch itself be the difference or is there something else along the line that would also need to be replaced?

The part from the EX is on this page:
Honda Automotive Parts

The part from the LX is on this page:
Honda Automotive Parts

So there definately is a different part #......I wonder if i could just swap them???
Old 12-22-2006
Registered!!

DieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of light
u would need the switch and the body computer (dash fuse box thingy) as far as wiring goes i dont know.
Old 12-22-2006
Registered!!

what exactly is the dash box thing? are you 100% sure this would be needed?
Old 12-22-2006
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all
i put some thought into this a few years ago, but i never really persued it. the variable speed seems to be fairly simple to be honest. i don't think anything besides the combination switch has to be changed. i think it works like the potentiometer trick on the signal flasher so you can adjust how fast or slow you want your turn signals to blink. in other words, the ex just has a built-in variable resistor in the switch which changes the wiper speed along with the hi and lo settings. i guess now that i have a trouble shooting manual i can just look up the wiring diagrams and see if there is a difference anywhere else in the circuit.
Old 12-23-2006
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
It should be 100% plug and play for the EX switch. A way to check is look at the connector plug for the wiper switch.... If you have a GREEN/WHITE and a GREEN/ORANGE set of wires in the connector it will work. (those 2 wires set the dwell time changed by the EXs variable control)

I tried to use a standard potentiometer with very limited success ( 25k = not enough 50k = too much) After a certain point any higher resistance causes the system to return to the LXs fixed delay time.

Use caution removing the column covers they are a tight fit and hard to separate, also the latches used on the lower cover are easy to break.
Old 12-23-2006
Dain Bramaged.

jester444 is an unknown quantity at this point
No kidding. I'll second that. When I got my car, the bottom half of the column's latches were broken, and only the dealership had worked on it.

But put up what you learn, man. I'm interested to see how this works out.
Old 12-23-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by skipbarber
i put some thought into this a few years ago, but i never really persued it. the variable speed seems to be fairly simple to be honest. i don't think anything besides the combination switch has to be changed. i think it works like the potentiometer trick on the signal flasher so you can adjust how fast or slow you want your turn signals to blink. in other words, the ex just has a built-in variable resistor in the switch which changes the wiper speed along with the hi and lo settings. i guess now that i have a trouble shooting manual i can just look up the wiring diagrams and see if there is a difference anywhere else in the circuit.

I would appreciate if you could check the wiring diagrams for me to ensure that there are no other differences between the LX and EX, im thinking its only just the switch.............and i have taken apart the column before when i was installing my OEM fogs.......its a pain but i can be done.....

I'll be taking it apart again to install the OEM alarm so that would be the perfect time to replace the switch if thats the only thing that needs to be replaced....
Old 12-24-2006

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
I added the EX switch to my LX. As long as the 2 wires are there that I listed, it will work. The control circuit is the same for both models.

If you feel like messing around with the small connector and wires ( not easy) jumper between the GRN/WHT and GRN/ORG wires, the delay time will go from the fixed 5-6 seconds down to 2 seconds which is the lowest variable setting for the EX.
Old 12-24-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
I added the EX switch to my LX. As long as the 2 wires are there that I listed, it will work. The control circuit is the same for both models.

If you feel like messing around with the small connector and wires ( not easy) jumper between the GRN/WHT and GRN/ORG wires, the delay time will go from the fixed 5-6 seconds down to 2 seconds which is the lowest variable setting for the EX.
thanks for the info, if the wires were present for you, they should be for me right? as we both have LX's, I dont see why they would be any different, am i missing something here?

thanks
Old 12-24-2006

Only 2 screws hold the switch in place once the covers are removed. There is a release for the connector. Easy swap.

At first I tried a 50k potentiometer thinking I would get a longer delay time, No. It would switch to the LXs set time once the resistance was up to a certain point. I could not find a suitable replacement potentiometer so I ordered an EX switch.
Old 12-25-2006
Registered!!

Only 2 screws hold the switch in place once the covers are removed. There is a release for the connector. Easy swap.

At first I tried a 50k potentiometer thinking I would get a longer delay time, No. It would switch to the LXs set time once the resistance was up to a certain point. I could not find a suitable replacement potentiometer so I ordered an EX switch.
thanks for the reply.

So I take it that the EX switch has operated the wipers in your car as they would in an EX?? have you encountered any problems at all??

How much was the switch and where did you get it? I assume it is one part that replaces the wiper switch and stalk?
Old 12-26-2006

The only difference in the operation is the variable control used for delay setting, approx 2-12 seconds. Everything else remains exactly the same as an LX stalk.

I got my switch at Cheapest Honda Parts - Home Page for about $62 shipped ( $56 for switch). They sometimes are a little slow. they may not have all of the parts that I order on hand ?
Old 12-27-2006
Registered!!

The only difference in the operation is the variable control used for delay setting, approx 2-12 seconds. Everything else remains exactly the same as an LX stalk.

I got my switch at Cheapest Honda Parts - Home Page for about $62 shipped ( $56 for switch). They sometimes are a little slow. they may not have all of the parts that I order on hand ?
awesome, thanks alot, I am going to order the switch, can you please confirm that it is indeed the one on the EX page on my first post?

thanks
Old 12-27-2006

Yes, that is the correct part. The original part # is 35256-S5A-A51 . I put that # in at the H & A site and it was the same as yours. Should be a simple replacement.
Old 12-30-2006
Registered!!

Yes, that is the correct part. The original part # is 35256-S5A-A51 . I put that # in at the H & A site and it was the same as yours. Should be a simple replacement.
great, thanks very much for the help.