General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

HHO Generator In A Civic?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006
Diamond Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boggie1688 is an unknown quantity at this point
HHO Generator In A Civic?

Hey guys,

I don't know if you guys have heard of HHO generators. Basically they are generators that carry out electrolysis(the separation of water into its basic elements). The Hydrogen and Oxygen are then feed into the thottle body and help your engine burn more efficiently. They have a small one, roughly the size of a soda can that we can get for our cars. $270 bucks and you should get a little more power and roughly 5+mpg.

Heres the website:
http://www.fuelfromh2o.com/

What do you guys think? I might actually try this, or make my own. It really doesn't seem to complicated.
Old 12-14-2006
Registered!!

_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough
i wouldnt
Old 12-14-2006
Diamond Member

Why not? Just curious..

Im really think about doing this, more power and more mpg seems very beneficial. I might even try to make my own...its not that complicated, in one of his videos he basically explains the whole thing. Not to mention the chemistry invovled in electrolysis is something highschool chem teacher should be able to explain and help you with.
Old 12-14-2006
Registered!!

hwt101 is an unknown quantity at this point
i just wonder if this is like those fuel line magnets that give you better milage by ionizing the fuel or the tornado
Old 12-14-2006
Diamond Member

In case you didn't know Oxygen and Hydrogen are highly combustable.
Old 12-14-2006
Registered!!

Curiouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really nice
this seems like one of those electric supercharger type of deals...
Old 12-14-2006
Registered!!

_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough
i saw mythbusters do this trying to figure out a way to better mileage. it didnt work worth a ****. especially if the unit is the size of a soda can. theirs was pretty big and it didnt do ****. and 270 bones is a lot. and dont forget, its a d17, youre not gonna get a big gain from it and the mileage is kickass anyway.
Old 12-14-2006
Banned

Gr33nMonster is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree with curious G. Its like those ads where its like electric supercharger will give u an extra 50+ HP and will save u gas $$$. Seriously dont buy this and get sucked into the cheap automotive market.
Old 12-14-2006
Banned

Gr33nMonster is an unknown quantity at this point
nice point juice. Ya that myth busters is cool. I love when they do those kinds of stuff. Ya Boggie play it safe and hold on to ur money to get something bigger and badder.
Old 12-14-2006
Diamond Member

Maybe you guys need a visual to help illustrate what comes out of these generators.
http://www.fuelfromh2o.com/series9.html

Kind explosive for just a little bubble don't u think? Thats what is mixing in with the gasoline and air. Not to mention oxygen and hydrogen both burn cleaner. This is what is going to give me the better mpg, its like almost having a constant thin supply of nos running into the engine.
Old 12-14-2006
Diamond Member

More articles and vids for you non believers...
http://www.dpccars.com/car-movies/05...aterasfuel.htm
(watch this one if you don't wanna check out all the links)
http://www.kvbc.com/Global/story.asp?S=4129768
Old 12-14-2006
Registered!!

why ask for peoples opinions and then shoot them all down. theres a lot of smart people on here and like i said, i already saw it tried and it didnt work. its not going to be like a constant supply on nitrous. its a little too much wishful thinking on your part. go ahead and get it. make sure to dyno and clock your mpg before and after.
Old 12-14-2006
Diamond Member

Originally Posted by _unclejuice
why ask for peoples opinions and then shoot them all down. theres a lot of smart people on here and like i said, i already saw it tried and it didnt work. its not going to be like a constant supply on nitrous. its a little too much wishful thinking on your part. go ahead and get it. make sure to dyno and clock your mpg before and after.
Its not wishful thinking...its science.
If I go for it...and I'm sure in time I will. I'll be sure to clock my MPG, as for dyno I don't know if I'll go that far.
Old 12-14-2006
Registered!!

science or not, dont you think if these things were as great as youre making them out to be, they would be all over the place? i mean come on, look at the source of your information. its the internet. people are just tryin to help you not get ripped off and all you can say is, its science? im no science whiz, but i think its a scam. and i might not be far off by saying it could be quite dangerous if the reaction is as great as you say it is. go ahead and buy one of those grounding kits for your muffler. that helps mpg too.
Old 12-14-2006
Registered!!

another bit of info, if it adds power, it decreases mpg. power needs fuel. so nothing will give you more power and better mpg.
Old 12-14-2006
Diamond Member

Originally Posted by _unclejuice
another bit of info, if it adds power, it decreases mpg. power needs fuel. so nothing will give you more power and better mpg.
Ok whats a turbo charger? You don't gain mpg and hp from a turbo charger?
Old 12-14-2006
The only Wyoming Redneck on here

2002civicLX2002 will become famous soon enough2002civicLX2002 will become famous soon enough
read the article, sounds like a scam.
Old 12-14-2006
Registered!!

tell me how a turbo gives you better mpg. when that **** spools and you start dumpin fuel into the engine your mpg goes way the **** down. i can notice a big difference in mpg when my motor is on the hi cam of vtec a lot.
Old 12-14-2006
Diamond Member

I'm not going to answer...clearly i shouldn't have posted this topic here. Lets just drop the whole idea about how hydrogen and oxygen are explosive and will work in our engines.
Old 12-14-2006
Registered!!

not saying it wont work nor am i saying theyre not explosive. i just said its not worth 270 bones nor will it give you a hp gain or a mpg gain. its a scam. the theory works. look at nitrous. but youre not going to get a big burst from a little hho generator. sorry to burst your bubble. bolt on something worth while.
Old 12-14-2006
Diamond Member

I wasn't looking for a big burst. I was looking for more MPG.
Old 12-14-2006
Registered!!

more than a d17 already produces? get a hybrid. when i had my a1 motor i clocked it at over 40mpg on the freeway to florida. these motors are very well engineered and no crazy little contraption is going to help. if it worked as well as they say it does, honda probably wouldve included it on the car. thats why this process hasnt been put into mass production yet. they havent gotten the technology where they want it to bring it to the world yet.
Old 12-14-2006
Diamond Member

The reason why they haven't mass produced it is because a by product of the HHO generator is water. Water and motors don't go along very well. Another reason is because the idea of HHO generator really hasn't been around for that long.

Lastly if I can surpass a hybrid MPG with a $300 add on...why not? That seems more cost effective.
Old 12-14-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
hmm, first off- turbos work off exhaust- they dont spool up and suck fuel into your engine.. allthough your going to get worse MPG's anyways.

who would get on a dyno to check their fuel effiency?

And Vtec- the current versions of vtec are to make your engine run more efficient at high RPM's- why... (corect me if i'm wrong) with a vtec cam, your allowing the fuel to burn more fully
Old 12-14-2006
Registered!!

first triz, i didnt say the turbo dumped fuel in your ****, it causes more fuel consumption. i didnt tell him to dyno check his mpg. he said the thing gave more hp and i thought a dyno would be in order for a before and after comparison. as for vtec, youre gonna burn more fuel because youre going to make more power at the rpms in which vtec are associated with and youre going to be on the gas harder. back tp topic, youre not going to surpass a hybrid with some internet bought bullshit. and if it was so great, i think it would cost more than 3 bills. and if the byproduct if this thing is water, that means you would have to carry around a tank of hydrogen and a tank of oxygen to mix together to create water. if i understand this product correctly, youre turning water into hydrogen and oxygen so the byproduct would be those 2 gases in spent form after they complete the combustion process. go ahead and get it but im telling you its not going to work. if it does, ill eat my words, but its not.
Old 12-14-2006
Diamond Member

Honestly I don't mind talk to you about this topic all day...I just wish more heads would speak up and express what they think more fully.

I don't really know if i'll surpass a hybrid but Im sure I'll be damn close if I tried this. As for the reason of price, materials. If you look at how he explains the design, you will see the concept and actual materials used. Its actual a very simple device. This is why I was thinking of trying to build one. I think I can buy the materials need and build my own.
The guy actually started selling these generators as plans and the people had to build their own. (Check out comments page, first ppl built theirs using plans;very bottom)
Old 12-14-2006
Registered!!

i think ive explained what i thought about it. i saw it done, and it didnt work. anything very simple and inexspensive isnt going to produce huge results like youre trying to achieve. go ahead and try it. or send me the 3 bills and ill spend em on something to produce power. its just like all the other scams. the tornado, electric supercharger, and who knows what else. DOESNT WORK.
Old 12-14-2006
Registered!!

christmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of light
I wonder how much power it uses to perform this electrolysis. Conservation of energy???

Quote from their site:
No rediculous price tag for simple basic proven science and technology.

Last edited by christmaspie; 12-14-2006 at 07:17 PM.
Old 12-14-2006
Diamond Member

I don't think conservation of energy comes to play here. Because the extra energy from ur alternator just goes to lights, radio, or back to the battery. You don't need that much power to get reaction.
Old 12-14-2006
Registered!!

hwt101 is an unknown quantity at this point
I think you should just try it and if it works great and if not the other people on here that didnt spend 300 dollars arent lossing any money so why should they care, if it works maybe you can make some and sell them. And you will actually get better gas mileage w/a turbo ( but only if you can manage to stay out of boost, i have had several friends get 40+ mpg w/their turbo kits as long as they were driving like a normal person).

Quick Reply: HHO Generator In A Civic?