General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

lighted key ignition ring

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
Lightbulb lighted key ignition ring

Allright guys, heres a question

I want to put a lighted ring around my keyhole in the steering column.

Heard maybe an accord has the lighted ring around the ignition.

I'm looking for something thats pretty clean looking- not a circular glowstick and superglue. I heard there have been a few people who have done this. Maybe some links to DIY if it exists. If not... how do I go about doing this?
Old 09-03-2006
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
um civic already comes with that.
Old 09-03-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice
Do they? I'll have to check, brb.

okay, they do, but it is so small and dim... geez

Last edited by 7thGenerasianCivic; 09-03-2006 at 11:45 PM.
Old 09-04-2006
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light
Im surprised that people dont notice it when they turn on their car.
Old 09-04-2006
I Love Lamp

Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada/ Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
burnhard88 is an unknown quantity at this point
i see it always when i turn on my car
Old 09-04-2006
Red Hot Chili Peppers....bitch

RHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond repute
its not like its in a weird place either, i dont even look i just stick the key in
Old 09-04-2006
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
2001 LX... wtf... I'm going to have to take a second look!

Doesnt light up on mine.... any help 2 tech heads?
Old 09-04-2006
i have a new home do u

v8eaterokv6 is a glorious beacon of lightv8eaterokv6 is a glorious beacon of lightv8eaterokv6 is a glorious beacon of lightv8eaterokv6 is a glorious beacon of lightv8eaterokv6 is a glorious beacon of lightv8eaterokv6 is a glorious beacon of light
maybe look at an ex it might be an ex lx thing
Old 09-04-2006
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Only the EXs have the lighted cylinders.

To the OP, I have a lighted ring that I made that goes around the outside of the cylinder. It uses a white plastic ring used by plumbers and about 8, 630mcd LED's. You could make it just about any color you want with the LEDs.

You may want to grind the LEDs to diffuse the light and prevent hot spots.

The wires you need are at the the ignitions connectors.

Pin # 5 = WHT/BLK (should be +)
Pin # 6 = WHT/BLU (should be -)

Getting the lower column cover off without breaking it is a challenge.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000052 (Small).JPG
Views:	329
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	67809  
Old 09-04-2006
Registered!!

bOoStEd042dr will become famous soon enoughbOoStEd042dr will become famous soon enough
i can never notice mine cause it's so dim....but then again i never have problems findinf the hole...lol
Old 09-04-2006
Feel safe at night, sleep with a paramedic.

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute
It would look cool, but it sounds like a lot of work to take things apart and get it in there. I manage just fine without a lighted ring on my DX. Now if i could get one of those for my g/f.......
Old 09-04-2006
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
it is. and i dont like my stupid green one either now that my dash is all red.
Old 09-04-2006
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light
Never knew the other tirms didnt have it, hmm...

But mine is in orange.
Old 09-04-2006
Red Hot Chili Peppers....bitch

RHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond repute
i never even looked
Old 09-04-2006
Shinier than yours, meatbag

Hurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud of
Roll her in flour and look for the wet spot.......thats how you find the hole......
Old 09-04-2006
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Hurts2bStock
Roll her in flour and look for the wet spot.......thats how you find the hole......
thats too much.

CraigW- hmm... happen to have a more detailed description like a DIY??

anyone else know if you can drop one in from an accord or acura or other civic?
Old 09-04-2006
Words on a User Title

ramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Hurts2bStock
I remember that thread!!! Was that here or...? Anyways, bwahahahhaah...
Old 09-04-2006

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by TRIZ

CraigW- hmm... happen to have a more detailed description like a DIY??

anyone else know if you can drop one in from an accord or acura or other civic?
^^^ On the EX models it is part of the ignition switch itself, not an easy swap.

I have some pictures if you (or anyone) want them. PM with E-Mail.

The ring is a perfect fit on the cars ignition switches outer plastic circle. I did some sanding of the ring to make it flush and help with the light diffusion.

You will need to make the round opening a bit larger but you may get by with small adjustment. I made mine quite large so I could see the entire ring from drivers seat. Be careful with the plastic cover, it will mark easily.

The 8 LEDs are glued into the lower column cover spaced evenly with them pointing into the ignition switches opening. Leave the LEDs a bit loose and they can be adjusted around to position. (I use Goop brand glue) I ran the wires tight against the bottom and the sides of the lower cover and cover with tape. (all low voltage, the resistors are towards the back) Use a 2 pin plug/connector for easy hook up once you are done working and tweaking LEDs position.

I bought a new cover for $14 + $5 shipping. I had another light on my old cover and it was not bright enough, and I broke the clips on the original cover.

It was a good challenge, but not too bad. I have had an obsession with lighted key cylinders dating back to a long since gone 85 Mazda 626. It has never faded for me.

And I do think the Hondas all black color makes it tough to locate the opening without some light.
Old 09-05-2006
Registered!!

dj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to all
my 02 lx has it
Old 09-05-2006
Premium Member

rediculous. not on the 01, but on the 02... geeze. Does anyone know if I can buy the parts from honda to do this cleanly from the 02 to the 01? Or if its part of the actual ignition? If no1 knows, I'll ask honda the next time I drive by
Old 09-05-2006
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dj02
my 02 lx has it
mine doesn't
Old 10-13-2006

The "latches" on the lower column cover is easily broken during disassembly !!

More pix included.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000123 (Small).JPG
Views:	420
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	68193   Click image for larger version

Name:	lighted key cylinder II 006 (Small).jpg
Views:	287
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	68194  
Old 10-13-2006
Registered!!

EM2 Shinobi is an unknown quantity at this point
I can find the hole in the dark just fine
i have an ex and i didnt even know i had one lol, ill have to go check
Old 10-13-2006

During warranty work they loaned me an Accord EX with the lighted cylinder. The factory light is located very near the actual key entrance and not very bright. I could really only see it when I parked in the garage at work.

As with most of these lights (including mine, somewhat) the slightest bit of external light washes it out.
Old 10-14-2006
Registered!!

genexrocket has a spectacular aura aboutgenexrocket has a spectacular aura about
i totally forgot i even had that, the only times i realized i had lighted key ignition was when i got the car and just now.. haha