General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Problem w/ painting Tsunami bumper

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maverick is an unknown quantity at this point
Problem w/ painting Tsunami bumper

Hey, I went to pick up my bumper today and they weren't able to finish it because it lookls like there is pitting all over the whole bumper. Once he got the silver paint with flex agent on is when he noticed it, even with several coats. He said adding clear coat would only magnify the problem and suggested I call Tsunami. Only I got the bumper from ebay off a guy with DaydreamFX. What should I do. Anyone else with a Tsunami bumber experience this. It doesn't look too bad, but at close inspections you can see the little pits. Any help or experience would be appreciated. Grey, I know yours is silver also,,any thoughts. If Tsunami won't help out I guess I'll have them go ahead with the clear coat and hope for the best. My grill and eyelids turned out great!
Old 03-11-2002
Eat poo & Choke ...I don't eat ham cuz my last name is HAM !!!!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Location: Palisades Park/Rutherford, New Jersey/in ur CORNHOLE, US
whowhatwhoa is a jewel in the roughwhowhatwhoa is a jewel in the roughwhowhatwhoa is a jewel in the rough
there are 2 possiblities either he sanded it tooo much or toooo little... with the polyurethane they are porous and when the plastic is stamped there is oil entrapped that repels the primer and paint....but if u don't sand it the primer won't stick...i have a little tiny holes but not that too noticeable basically in the future i have get it redone maybe more primer and snading then primer again then sanding then paint agian......that's the only drawback about plastic painting it
Old 03-11-2002
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
Oh, is that what those are? I think I had the same problem. Only in certain places though. Not on the whole bumper. I guess these bubbles could be left over from the urethane mold and maybe they sanded them down too much when painting? I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing though 'cause mine were tiny and I also think I saw one on the side of my door where they removed a dent for me. Maybe it's the painting process and not the bumper? I know that certain places don't have the best equipment or technitians. Maybe it was the painting process that was screwy instead?
Old 03-11-2002
Eat poo & Choke ...I don't eat ham cuz my last name is HAM !!!!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Location: Palisades Park/Rutherford, New Jersey/in ur CORNHOLE, US
whowhatwhoa is a jewel in the roughwhowhatwhoa is a jewel in the roughwhowhatwhoa is a jewel in the rough
it looks like proes that's what they are poly has pores
Old 03-12-2002
Registered!!

thanks guys. i'm gonna call them today and go over tsumai's instructions/tips and maybe have them wet snd it again, these guys are very reputable and i've seen their work so i know they know what they're doing. back to the drawing board so to speak and hope for the best. i want to put my eyelids on, now if only i could get my hands on some brushed aluminum tyc's!!
Old 03-12-2002
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
Maveric, send me a pic of your bumper. I'll give you $100 for your bumper, if its the style that im looking for, and I will take it and all of its problems. $100.

is that the pic above your name in your profile?
Old 03-12-2002
Registered!!

rabbit, it's worth more than 100 and i'm not interested in selling. it's not that bad number one, and i'll get it fixed number 2. and yes that's the pic above my name, if you want to see one painted, go to grey's member page, his is like mine cept i have no carbon hood. if you like this bumper, i got mine off ebay 350 shipped, just search. the guy i got it from has a site tho, www.daydreamfx.com
Old 03-12-2002
Registered!!

pimpdakota is an unknown quantity at this point
You need to bake the bumper twice at 150 degrees! The first bake use wax and grease remover to remove all of the releasing agent{ the wet oily stuff that doesnt let the urethane stick to the mold} then bake! Repeat cleaning and baking process untill no releasing agent is present! Tsunami doesnt send their bumpers through a wax/grease acid wash! Honda does! I have see many of wings west kits in worse shape from the factory than tsunami's thane! Urethane is tough to paint! Just gotta make sure its dry and clean! Dakota
Old 03-12-2002
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
hey, i had to try [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG] hope you get it fixed, and lemme see pics when you get it all together!
Old 03-24-2002
Registered!!

Blckcivic01 is an unknown quantity at this point
ya prolyl sanding
Old 05-11-2002
an0therpin0y

HCCriminal is an unknown quantity at this point
hey dakota... where can you get the wax/grease acid wash....??