General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

DIY Injen SRI Extension & NEW "revised" DIY Spark Plug Cover w/ Pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ALLMAN is an unknown quantity at this point
DIY Injen SRI Extension & NEW "revised" DIY Valve Cover w/ Pics

Ok Guys/ Gals,

My new weekend DIY's was a new revised version of my "Aluminum Valve Cover" and an Injen Short Ram Intake extension to a CAI. I wanted to keep my OBX-R upper strut bar set-up....I don't really like Nuespeed or DC Sports....so I figured I'd just make my own CAI....see the results and decide for myself if I'd like the performance difference. So to the Weekend DIY Warrior I went....LOL!!!![IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]...so really not much to tell on the DIY that a picture can expain as well as my "NEW" revised Aluminum Valve Cover....so perfromance wise..and for those who have only had a SRI like me and never used a CAI on our cars...well the peformance difference was noticeable from the start.....nothing to knock my socks off type off thing, "BUT" I like the performace difference and the slight gain was ever so noticeable at lower RPM's.....so anyway I was overall pleased with my work!!...so on to the "Pictures"..someone please URL these pictures for me ..Thanks...and enjoy! BTW..check out my new Member Ride Pictures..Peace !
Old 03-11-2002
Registered!!

Mokushi is an unknown quantity at this point
Looks sweet Allman!! You are the DIY GOD....
Old 03-11-2002
Registered!!

Perfectcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
mmmmm aluminum valve cover ahhhhhhhh how hard was the cai extension to make ive been wanting to do that but no time
Old 03-11-2002
Registered!!

avenger is an unknown quantity at this point
fyi thats a spark plug cover, the valve cover is below it [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-13-2002
Registered!!

Well, really not much to it.....here is the DIY

1. Well first the reason I decided to do this was......I wanted to keep my SRI due to strut bar set-up and an easy conversion back (SRI to CAI) if I chose to....plus I wanted to see the gains if any...as well as I didn't want the hassle of trying to sale my SRI..then buying a CAI then another strut bar...see where I'm getting at here.......so.....I won an auction from ebay....for a CAI.....got it for about 65 dollars......and simply just used a bottom half........"BUT"...I research the path of the intakes to see where the two pieces joined to make sure that I had a smooth transisiton from the Injen SRI to extension......It wasn't real hard but wasn't easy either to find one...especially when I was comparing dimensions on the internet. Some stopped to far, some not enough..some had a wrong type of bend and so forth.

2. Now the SRI Injen is a 3 inch tube and the CAI is a 2.5 inch tube.....HMMM didn't know that before I started......so I had to buy an intake reducer that is usually for the throttle body to intake connection but worked great at the end of the SRI to extension junction.......but the points needed to be as close to a parallel union as possible.

3. I also had to make a custom polished aluminum mounting braket for the SRI and another one for the "Extension"...because I had to rotate the SRI counterclockwise to allow the union to happen properly and allow the extension to bypass the battery....this deduced the factory length of the bracket so it didn't work to well..but you can make it work by reshaping it if you wish.....I just made a better looking one anyway. Also the CAI I bought can coated so I had to strip it an polish it.......big pain but it turned out well to match my SRI.

4. Then just hooked everthing up..reset the ECU...and gave it a try.......Cost is about the same as a CAI..I didn't save any money....I could have purchased a Injen CAI or AEM CAI for the money I spent on both..."BUT" I have got the set-up I want and a reversible SRI and CAI set-up as well.

5. I like the performance difference...so you guys give it a try...Peace!!!![IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-13-2002
Escaped Convict

CapYoda has a spectacular aura aboutCapYoda has a spectacular aura about
hey allman, which cold air intake did u buy off ebay? well, if its just some no name one.. the 2nd pipping, does it look like the AEM one or the InJen one? because so far I've seen replicas of the InJen CAI or AEM CAI being sell on ebay.. except for the OBX one I think, I duno what that looks like.. the picture they have doesn't seem like its going to be the one for a 7th gen civic too, I dont see how that'll fit a vertical throttle body...

if I can find a CAI thats like AEM for like 60 bucks, I think I'll grab it.. and use the 2nd pipping... although I might need a reducer.. I also have an InJen SRI that I dont use anymore... I want to try to go CAI to see if there's any performance gain.. kinda hoping I guess

anyone want to buy an InJen SRI? heh.
Old 03-13-2002
Registered!!

insan is an unknown quantity at this point
did u use the obx intake for parts? cause i have the same strut bar
Old 03-14-2002
Registered!!

The intake is an AEM replica (coated) and terminated within the engine bay. I just removed the coating and polished it myself. As far as the kind,.. I haven't seen another one for sale since I won mine...so I don't know.....it wasn't OBX, or the others you mentioned..I saw it one time and I bid on it and won price started at $60.....Peace!
Old 03-14-2002
Registered!!

UncleB is an unknown quantity at this point
now what I want to know is how you made that aluminum valve cover. that thing is awesome.
Old 03-14-2002
Registered!!

avenger is an unknown quantity at this point
<--- spark plug cover ****
Old 03-14-2002
APS
Registered!!

APS is an unknown quantity at this point
Please do tell....That spark plug cover is really cool. You should market it or something
Old 03-16-2002
Registered!!

AnchorBlueMan01 is an unknown quantity at this point
So how much for the Spark plug cover with the 4 other little covers? And Shipping to CA?? Thanks,
AnchorBlueMan
Old 03-16-2002
Registered!!

I'm selling the cover ..a blank one....for $50 including shipping anyware in the US...the spark coil over covers ..well nobody has asked that before.....they are actually harder to cut than the cover is....I don't know 75 for all including shipping and all hardware!!!!
Old 06-08-2002
Registered!!

LeroyBrown is an unknown quantity at this point
looks great, i'd definately be interested.. nice work
Old 06-08-2002
Registered!!

JDQuikCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey ALLMAN, we were talking for a bit a while back, about me purchasing the spark plug cover. If you can hook me up with that and the coil covers e-mail me at JDQuik@shaw.ca.