General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Side mouldings or pinstriping!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kFanghe is an unknown quantity at this point
Side mouldings or pinstriping!

I saw some posts on removing the side mouldings. Seemed pretty easy, there're just glued on right; at least that's what everyone said. WRONG! If you own an '02 DX sedan do not remove the pinstriping from your doors. Yes they are glued on to some degree, but there also little plastic tabs in addition to the glue that fit into little holes in the door that further help keep the pinstriping in place. So if you don't like seeing holes in your doors, than don't pull off the mouldings. Good thing is that I think you can easily glue it back on if you did what I did (haven't glued it back on yet).

Now my question is, does anyone know how much it would cost to have the holes filled and painted professionally? Really, pinstriping is ugly. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-09-2002
Eat poo & Choke ...I don't eat ham cuz my last name is HAM !!!!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Location: Palisades Park/Rutherford, New Jersey/in ur CORNHOLE, US
whowhatwhoa is a jewel in the roughwhowhatwhoa is a jewel in the roughwhowhatwhoa is a jewel in the rough
u have to get it weldered shut and sand it and painteted too nmuch money
Old 03-10-2002
Registered!!

drbombay is an unknown quantity at this point
pinstriping is very different from the side moulding. it is just a decorative tape and easy to take off. the moulding is the plastic on the side.
Old 03-10-2002
Registered!!

WeSSoN is an unknown quantity at this point
or u could just bondo the holes and sand...thats all u need to do...but just make sure to maintain the bodylines.......
Old 12-04-2003
Registered!!

bob_tam is an unknown quantity at this point
sorry, if i ask a stupid question, so the 02 civic is the only model that have the hole after removing the moulding, right, cause i have a 01 civic, i wanted to remore that as well, will there be any problem, thx.
Old 12-04-2003
7thgens other Official Five O'

AZ2K1Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
If you want to remove the pinstriping...take a heat gun or even a hair dryer to it and peel it of with your fingernail. After that use an adhesive remover to take the sticky stuff off, then wash and wax, done.

If you want to remove the plastic molding piece that runs along the doors on a sedan then yes you have to have the holes filled, sanded, and paint matched to the car.
Old 12-04-2003
Registered!!

hankscorpio is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Side mouldings or pinstriping!

Originally posted by kFanghe
[B Seemed pretty easy, there're just glued on right; at least that's what everyone said. WRONG! [/B]
People said this about removing the pinstriping, not the side moulding. You just didn't know the difference between the two. The pinstriping is what is just on by glue, not the side moulding.
Old 12-04-2003
Civicforums Junkie

FALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of light
Originally posted by AZ2K1Civic
If you want to remove the pinstriping...take a heat gun or even a hair dryer to it and peel it of with your fingernail. After that use an adhesive remover to take the sticky stuff off, then wash and wax, done.

If you want to remove the plastic molding piece that runs along the doors on a sedan then yes you have to have the holes filled, sanded, and paint matched to the car.

you beat me to it!!

i did the pinstriping removal as stated...took like 20min with my heat-gun and i used goo-gone to get the excess adhesive residue off, then did the wash/wax...worked great!!

FYI: the coupes side moldings are 3M taped to the sides and the sedans are 3M tape AND clips
Old 12-04-2003
let the devil out
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

eye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant future
I own a 02 sedan and had the dealership removethe pinstrip before I would drive it away . there should not be any small holes because all they did to mine was pull it off and buff it out