General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

auto shift sounds like manual sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kiwi133 is an unknown quantity at this point
auto shift sounds like manual sometimes

As the topic says, Sometimes my 04 auto ex sounds like an auto, and sometimes it soulds like im driving a stick. (which sounds cool) but why?

The auto sound is more like a smooth slip into next gear, constant throttle and rpms just go down to next gear, like every other auto i have ever heard

But sometimes when it shifts, it sounds like i have let off the gas completely, the rpms go down and than catch the next gear, sounding like im on the gas again (it actually feels smoother when it does this) and sounds exactly like a stick shift.

Someone explain this! I am only at 270miles so i am not taking it over 3.5 k rpms so i can't see how it shifts under heavy throttle. and i havn't noticed any trends with engine temp. it seems random.

Also post general tranny info if you have it. (mainly parameters and conditions for TQ lockup)
My old Z34 for example would lock up the TQ only in 3rd and 4th only above 45mph, when engine was above a certain temp.
my civic however seems to lock up the converter in any gear (i have noticed it will engine brake when i let off the gas, and modulating the throttle does not always result in the tach moving around)

does that have anything to do with the two types of shifting? (when the tq is locked it sounds like a manual cus it has to unlock and then relock, but if its unlocked it will slip into the next gear?)
Old 12-04-2003
Registered!!

phatcyclist is an unknown quantity at this point
its because the trannys have 'Grade Logic Control', they stay in gear to help you ascend and descend hills better. Mine does stuff like that too,but its all good,its supposed to.
Old 12-04-2003
Registered!!

kiwi133 is an unknown quantity at this point
So now i'm thinking maybe its partially temp related, payed close attention on the way home from school. Seemed to do the slip shift when pretty cold, then shifted fun sounding way once warm, yet still seemed to slip shift in upper gears when only doing like 2k rpm, but maybe thats not enough of a rpm diff down there to tell.'

Thanks for the reply but, i don't think its a grade lodgic thing. mostly because i didn't drive on anything you could really call a hill (engine has enough torque at like 1700rpms to get up grades around here just fine)
Old 12-04-2003

Boiler_Room is on a distinguished road
My car did the same thing when it was brand new...

It would sound like a MT when I was driving an AT. The shifts were very loud and it was just so weird. I never thought anything of it, just keep driving the car and it broke in and the noise gradually eased up.

When I got my intake the noise was loud again. I kind of think it's a really nice sound now. I drive the auto like its a manual by easing up on the gas when I want the gear to change. The car has totally adapted to me as a driver after 38k miles.