General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

HELP!! Cam problem!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
drunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of light
Exclamation HELP!! Cam problem!

ok so i got my stage two turbo installed today (cam,springs,retainers and cam gear) but the belt will not stay tight on the cam gear. it goes from loose too tight to loose again quickly. it is almost as if it is not getting enough tension. what do i do!!!! the shop says i cant get it back until we figure out what the problem is. those of you that have a cam installed could you please please please help my find the problem!
Old 03-07-2006
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
well the cam has nothing to do with the cam gear and belt...other than holding the gear on. you put that lil pin inside between the camshaft and the gear right? if the belt is not tight, its the tensioner. Either it broke when you were removing everything, or the shop doesn't know how to work it. its an auto-tensioner.
Old 03-07-2006
I need TP for my bunghole

PunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud of

Is the belt tensioner loose?

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...FT-TIMING+BELT

Last edited by PunkingCivic; 03-07-2006 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-07-2006
Premium Member

drunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of light
im not sure what they did becuase i was not there today(had to work) but they called me once they got it installed and thats when they said there was a problem

Originally Posted by gearbox
you put that lil pin inside between the camshaft and the
gear right? if the belt is not tight, its the tensioner. Either it broke when you were removing everything, or the shop doesn't know how to work it. its an auto-tensioner.
they said they thought it might be the springs or something.
little pin? i will have to ask.
so this is not a comman problem?
Old 03-07-2006
Premium Member

Originally Posted by PunkingCivic

Is the belt tensioner loose?
not sure since i did not see it but i will in the morning. is there some way to tighten it other than just bolting it back like it was?
Old 03-07-2006
Premium Member

Old 03-07-2006
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
i would be towing the car to another shop if i were you. putting on a timing belt is a very simple thing for most mechanics.
Old 03-07-2006
Registered!!

03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light
May be the timing belt not put back right??
I mean if engine worked right before install, then nothing should be wrong if you put everything back. Unless of course something got physicaly broken when assembling/dissasembling
Old 03-07-2006
Premium Member

i know! they useually do good work but i dont know what the problem is? they admit they dont do many imports but this should be pretty straight forward.
so frustrated!
Old 03-07-2006
Premium Member

gearbox - would that little pin effect the tension?
Old 03-07-2006
Premium Member

any other suggestions?
Old 03-07-2006
Premium Member

no it wouldn't its just to make sure the camshaft and gear stay connected and move at the same time. when i go home from work in a couple hours i'll try and get pics up of how you put the belt back. just take them that because they obviously have no clue how it goes on.
Old 03-07-2006
Premium Member

great- maybe that will help them.... i really need my car!
Old 03-08-2006
Premium Member

pics dont really help so i'll just describe it.

Once everything is off...

set the crankshaft to top dead center (TDC). Align the TDC mark on the timing belt drive pulley with the pointer on the oil pump

set the camshaft pulley to TDC. The UP mark on the pulley should be at the top and the tdc marks on the pulley should line up with the top edge of the head.

align the holes on the tensioner pulley and tensioner base and insert a 3mm diameter pin into the holes.

loosen auto tensioner mounting bolt by 180 degrees.

move the auto tensioner to remove tension in the belt.

install the belt in a counterclockwise sequence, starting with the drive pulley, then the tensioner pulley, then the water pump pulley, and finally the camshaft pulley.

install the crankshaft pulley. rotate the crankshaft pulley two turns counterclockwise so the timing belt positions on the pulleys.

set the #1 piston at tdc.

tighten the auto tensioner mounting bolt to 33 lbf*ft then remove the pin from the auto tensioner.

remove the crankshaft pulley.

install the crankshaft position sensor (CKP).

install engine mount and lower timing cover

install the crankshaft pulley after oiling the bolt. tighten to 181 lbf*ft

rotate the crankshaft pulley so its TDC mark lines up with the pointers.

check camshaft pulley marks. if they are not at TDC, remove the belt and start over.

install upper timing cover, connect camshaft position sensor and tdc sensor and install grommet.

install upper bracket and tighten the nuts.

install valve cover, coils, alt, ps, splash guards, wheel.
Old 03-08-2006
Premium Member

thanks i will take this by there and see if this helps any
Old 03-08-2006
Premium Member

if they can't follow that i would seriously take it somewhere else. Even I can follow it and I've never done a t-belt.
Old 03-08-2006
Abortion Survivor

Michalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of light
^^^ Its not the mechanic its caused by the valvesprings. Sorry i didn't see this post before but in my cam dyno post i posted how to fix this and why it is caused. Sorry about not seeing it yesterday
Old 03-08-2006
Premium Member

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
just a note. the pin is only used on a new tensioner. also I don't see the tensioner spring mentioned anywhere in those instructions. make sure that it is installed.
Old 03-08-2006
I need TP for my bunghole

PunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Michalo187
^^^ Its not the mechanic its caused by the valvesprings. Sorry i didn't see this post before but in my cam dyno post i posted how to fix this and why it is caused. Sorry about not seeing it yesterday
The thread mention: http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=250581

Note worthyness (page 3):

Originally Posted by Michalo187
Ok what you need to do is remove the tensioner, Then you must align the two holes that fit an allen head into them, After this when the holes are aligned you then must weld it together there. After this when you are ready you must just tighten the belt to where you would like and bolt the tensioner where the timing belt is firmly tight. After this you will no longer have problems with the belt becoming loose. The reason you must do that is because the valvesprings are a lot stiffer and stronger than the stock ones and the stock tensioner cannot take that. I learned this the hard way because my belt kept coming loose until finally i bent a valve. Let me know if my explaination makes any sense if it does not i will try to take pics or try and make a diy.