General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

With what and where to grease brakes to stop squeaking?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura about
With what and where to grease brakes to stop squeaking?

My front passenger side brakes are making a squeaking noise.
The squeaking noise is intermittent and gets worse with speed although it goes away at high speeds.
I've also noticed that sometimes when I push the brake pedal, it sounds like the pistons are squeaking as they clamp and let go.

My rotors are not warped and my pads are evenly worn.

I think the brake system is in need of lubrication (car is over 100k) but I'm not sure exactly where I should put some grease and with what type of grease I should use.

Can someone show me where and recommend a lubricant?

Thanks

Old 11-29-2005
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all
anti-squeal (damnit, spelling always gets me) it goes between the back of the pad and the shim.
Old 11-29-2005
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
If the pads are o.k. then yes, you need the disc brake quiet goo applied.
Old 11-29-2005
let the devil out

eye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant future
pull the caliper bolt on the bottom loose, raise it up and remove the metal shim on each pad then apply the anti-squeal *sp goo should be good to go then
Old 11-30-2005
BLDNPSI Mod

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by LiKEaFeRiO
My front passenger side brakes are making a squeaking noise.
The squeaking noise is intermittent and gets worse with speed although it goes away at high speeds.
I've also noticed that sometimes when I push the brake pedal, it sounds like the pistons are squeaking as they clamp and let go.

My rotors are not warped and my pads are evenly worn.

I think the brake system is in need of lubrication (car is over 100k) but I'm not sure exactly where I should put some grease and with what type of grease I should use.

Can someone show me where and recommend a lubricant?

Thanks

Lubricant should be a high temp silicone based lube designed for brakes. Make sure NONE gets on the brake pad material. A little lube goes a LONG way!

Lubricate #14 where the pads slide on the shims
Lubricate #13/18 where it slides in and out of the bracket
Lubricate #10 where it contacts the back of the brake pad
Lubricate #6/7 the 2 ears that contact the other brake pad on its back

IMO the stuff the above people are talking about is CR@P and very sledome gives positive results
Old 11-30-2005
Smuggling bananas and mexicans all for one low price...

TheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by tfnaaf
A little lube goes a LONG way!

I'm sorry but...
Old 11-30-2005
BLDNPSI Mod

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TheSmuggler
I'm sorry but...

Old 11-30-2005
Registered!!

LiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for your help tfnaaf, I'll be lubing up tomorrow lol.
Old 11-30-2005
Registered!!

ryangt is an unknown quantity at this point
the best thing to do is take white litium grease and coat the entire brake assembly with it, the rotors the pads everything. then drive immediatly to 145mph towards a cliff then immedialty slam on the brakes if you stop, well your problems fixed, if you dont stop, well your problems have just began.

( please dont really do this i dont want you to die haha)

anti squeal on th backs of the pads works wonders, or greasing those number 13 thru bolts helps sometimes
Old 12-01-2005
Registered!!

EX4Dr is an unknown quantity at this point
Use Molybidium high pressure grease (dark grey color, almost black). Apply to all caliper and piston contact surfaces of the pads (left & right edges and the back).
Old 12-01-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ryangt
the best thing to do is take white litium grease and coat the entire brake assembly with it, the rotors the pads everything. then drive immediatly to 145mph towards a cliff then immedialty slam on the brakes if you stop, well your problems fixed, if you dont stop, well your problems have just began.

( please dont really do this i dont want you to die haha)

anti squeal on th backs of the pads works wonders, or greasing those number 13 thru bolts helps sometimes
For a sec I was thinking how the hell am I supposed to go 145 I only top out at 117.
Old 12-01-2005
Registered!!

ryangt is an unknown quantity at this point
haha way to go buddy