General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Question about synthetic blends oil.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01LX is an unknown quantity at this point
Question about synthetic blends oil.

Is the synthetic blend oil and exact ratio of 50-50 of full synthetic and conventional oil? If not, what is the ratio of the mixer?

Also, would it be safe to simply mix the two different oils together, thus hopefully cutting down the cost but still having some extra protection from the properties of synthetic oils.
Old 02-02-2002
Registered!!

jonjon is an unknown quantity at this point
i dont know much about oil but i was told if u use synthetic u have to keep using syntx
Old 02-02-2002
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
If it's true that you have to keep using it, then it sounds like they don't want the oils to mix together. Hum... I think there is a definition of how much synthetic oil and how much natural oil goes into the making of a synthetic-blend oil. Maybe there is some lower percentage set so that you can't add a tiny drop and give a certain product a better name. Any lawyers in here know for sure? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 02-03-2002
Registered!!

drbombay is an unknown quantity at this point
i don't know the ratio of the mix. but you could do your own 50/50 mix with mobil1, don't know about the others. what is not recomended is that you mix different brands of syn.
Old 02-04-2002
Registered!!

Belle is an unknown quantity at this point
i've never worried about the oil, my brother can take care of that for me for cheap. but just wondering what does the code for the oil mean? how is 10w-40 different from 5w-30 and all?
Old 02-04-2002
Registered!!

Pete is an unknown quantity at this point

www.rversonline.org/99ConfOils.html

I realize that this the website is not Civic related, but, it answers some questions on oils.

Pete
Old 02-05-2002
Registered!!

01LX is an unknown quantity at this point
I've emailed a couple of the big name companies, and waiting for their replies.
Old 02-07-2002
Registered!!

theSHADIEST is an unknown quantity at this point
To answer any questions regarding oil blends and mixes...It is ok to mix oils such as synthetic and natural oil. However the mix ratio should be more like 80 to 20 synthetic to natural. The reason is that synthetic oils are made to be frendlier towards the environment, and there isnt quite the same ingredients in synthetics as regular oil. Synthetic oil wont seperate like oil in water when mixed w/ natural oil, but to be on the safe side stick to one or the other. If I am low on cash come oil change time I prefer Amsoil or Mobil1
You wont gain anything performance wise unless you run NOS, being your engine gets hotter quicker. DUH The reason synthetic is more expensive is that it doesnt cost a lot to recycle or dispose of so the company needs to make that extra bit of money back somewhere, and the fact that synthetic actually keeps your engine running smoother and cooler. If you prefer natural oils, stay away from Havoline, and brands like PDQ brand or Dollar General... Those kinds are cheap for a reason...THEY SUCK, and burn up quicker in your engine...So its all up to what you prefer...Oh to answer that one question about weights of oils. 10w30 is a thicker oil to be used in the summer. 5w20 which is what is recomended by honda is alot thinner and is suppose to be used in winter months. Makes sense huh...The colder it is the less you engine wants to move its parts...So why not make it easier with thinner oil. I use 5w20 personally year round. I think I get a bit better gas mileage...but you will have to experiment...good luck