General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Please review the condition of my spark plugs! [RESOLVED]

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
yeah , they will.
Old 07-11-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
zen_master is on a distinguished road
yep...
best thing i got last year was.....gettin about 40MPG in highway...with the new NGK iridium
Old 07-11-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
i get 42mpg with stock plugs
Old 07-11-2005

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
i thought you said you get around 20? what happened to that.
Old 07-11-2005
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
42 all highway, 20 all city.
Old 07-12-2005
The one and only....

Echelon04 is an unknown quantity at this point
20 city sucks
Old 07-12-2005
Registered!!

dma001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by zen_master

thing i notice most for now...

-much better acceleration in lower RPM.... 0-3000RPM
-engine doesn't jerk anymore during shifting...it's just smoother
-better responce when you press the gas pedal.......it's zoom zoom now
Actually, I just had my car in for its 30,000 mile service today, and she runs SO much better now. I never really read the service summary, so I didn't notice that the spark plugs were going to be changed, and man, what a difference! My car was jerking during shifting, too...I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong -- had I suddenly lost my ability to drive a stick after fifteen years of experience?? That was it; she is very smooth & responsive now. They also found a broken motor mount, which is bizarre, but it was fixed under warranty...
Old 07-12-2005
nor cal 7thgens

allmotor can only hope to improve
man my plugs where bad compared to urs
Old 07-12-2005

how bad? lol btw before w/stock plugs= 30 mph city, 40 highway, with iridiums =40 city 40-43 highway.
Old 07-12-2005
Registered!!

40 city?? cmon man..............ur city must be different than my city, lol

when we say city.........well, it really depends where u are, right? lol

i usually get 30-32 in city (mixed) and 40-42 in highway.....

but this highway aint 60mph....80mph straight at about 4-4.5K rpm

and gear.....like i said before about stock plugs....i can't see why that stock denso platinum should costs $10.24 each + shipping from hondaautomotiveparts.com

that means, if u go to local dealer they (stock denso PKJ20CR-M11) costs $13.66

at that price, why wouldn't we just go with denso iridium IK-20?

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...=IGNITION+COIL
Old 07-12-2005

i live in the atl. you live in ny. your car sees nothin but traffic. and yeah i cruise 80 and get 40+. i drive a stick though so it helps. my ride sees traffic sometimes. when im in the city i cruise at 50 or 60. so as long as i keep the rpms around 3k im set.
Old 07-13-2005
7thgen Power Maker

dezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to behold
hahahaha...yea, kind of....

but well.......i was having somekind of kiddie emotion yesterday..

supposedly, i can buy em online and wait......but no, i want it now. LOL.

how much is the shipping cost btw?
That price is shipped.
Old 07-13-2005
Registered!!

ic........

so, u mean, ur selling it for $13 each shipped? i think u haven't mentioned about your price on your post..
Old 07-21-2005
Registered!!

Black02Civ is an unknown quantity at this point
Can anyone tell me how to get the damn spark plugs out?? My brother has a 99 Prelude SH and i want to check his plugs but they are in there deep. After loosening them, how do you get them out?
Old 07-21-2005
Registered!!

u gotta buy a special spark plug socket...there's a rubber inside of em which hold the spark plug.....therefore, you can pull it out..
Old 07-21-2005
Registered!!

Black02Civ is an unknown quantity at this point
u gotta buy a special spark plug socket...there's a rubber inside of em which hold the spark plug.....therefore, you can pull it out..
ok thanks. I'm looking to buy the Denso I-K20 for the lude, but i want to know if they are universal for all apps, cuz there is no specific car choice on Dezod.
Old 07-21-2005
Premium Member

you need a socket extender and a special socket with rubber in it to pull the plug out.
Old 07-21-2005
Registered!!

^^u might want to check www.sparkplugs.com

btw.....just a quick question to all of u..

is there anything such as "break-in" period for spark plugs? i believe.........or maybe just in my imagination, my engine is a bit noisy with IK-20.....especially when VTEC kicks in about 3300-4000RPM....

or maybe it's just on my mind?
Old 07-21-2005
Premium Member

tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
You can also loosen the plug with a normal plug socket and use a coil pack to pull the plug out.

Mine need changing, so I'll try them out for myself.
Old 07-21-2005

there is a saying from honda that your not supposed to have a tune up for 100k. but thats bs. we have seperate ignition packs for each of our cylinders. the spark is hot as bawls. so i changed mine as soon as i bought my car in february. the car had 56k on it and my plugs looked old. so i changed to iridiums and i believe they will last me for 40 to 50k. i will check every 20 k to make sure. so yeah. btw go to walmart. they will have a socket for your plugs. have fun
Old 07-22-2005
The Declaration of Independence was written on marijuna paper

Ellocodetroit is a jewel in the roughEllocodetroit is a jewel in the roughEllocodetroit is a jewel in the rough
I need to change my plugs. I've had the ngk irridiums on the car for like ... ever. I've been to busy with my new job these past few months. I'm getting the Denso ik20 today. It's cheap and quick to change out. Off to the auto parts store I go.
Old 07-22-2005
Registered!!

is there anything such as "break-in" period for spark plugs? i believe.........or maybe just in my imagination, my engine is a bit noisy with IK-20.....especially when VTEC kicks in about 3300-4000RPM....

or maybe it's just on my mind?
please help me with this

especially if ur changing ur plugs with ik-20 also...
Old 07-22-2005
I just burnt my tongue

ragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really nice
on the 3rd pick the one on the right seems to have some ignition timing issues...either there is not enough fuel going into that cylinder or your getting predetination when the compressed air fuel mixture detonates because of compression stress not spark plug going off...it looks to me that you need to clean your fuel injectors cuz it is most likely running lean...and if there is too much air and not enough fuel vapors than it will burn hotter than usual causing sparkplugs to burn up and piston heads to get carbon build up...also the bosch platinum 4s absolutly do not do anything better or different than a standard single rod platinum sparkplug...this is comming from many experience auto tech instructors/professors...but of course iridium spark plugs work better than stock but and old spark plug will do when it comes to breaking windows...lol! hehehe *evil grin on face*
Old 07-22-2005
Registered!!

^wait da minute...

ur talking as if you can check em out cylinder by cylinder...how do you do that??

i probably have to take em out again.....review the condition of each plugs.....and probably swap em around?

or maybe the whole thing is just my imagination....there's really nothing wrong with the sound during idle....it idles normally at about 550.....

it's just when i rev it during the period when the time vtec kicks in....it sounds a bit noisier....

oh actually, i just put a bottle of fuel system cleaner during the time i change my plugs.....so, i doubt it's the fuel injector clogging..
Old 07-22-2005
I just burnt my tongue

ragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really nice
well that could have been build up before u put the fuel cleaner in cuz that kinda stuff takes time and to do a check do a compression check on each cylinder...if u can take it to a shop where u have a friend or a mechanics which u go to all the time and ask cuz that kinda stuff and tear your engine up over time and fuel efficiency goes down...

edit: get it checked than next time u pull your plugs out get a sharpie and write down the cylinder number on the sparkplug as you pull them out and show a technitian see if one is still blackening out more than the others

also get a spark plug gap checker and check manufacture measurements

Last edited by ragingSPAM; 07-22-2005 at 03:03 PM.