General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

HELP: Car Wont Start, rapid clicking noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trusted
Exclamation HELP: Car Wont Start, rapid clicking noise

Im stuck in a shopping plaza cuz my car wont start. If someone could help identify the problem that would be great. I will try to be as clear as possible with my description.

I put in the key and turn it, instead of starting I get a rapid and distinct clicking noise. The odometer flashes rapidly and my gauge needles all flutter quickly too. The dome light flashes quickly and the car does not start.

I do not know what the problem is but my voltmeter says i still have 11 left in my battery, which i thought was more than enough to start my car. Is the battery still my problem or could it be something else?

Please help!

Should I try to jump it?

Last edited by Vinnie; 06-30-2005 at 07:14 PM.
Old 06-30-2005
The Declaration of Independence was written on marijuna paper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ellocodetroit is a jewel in the roughEllocodetroit is a jewel in the roughEllocodetroit is a jewel in the rough
Starter maybe?
Old 06-30-2005
The Declaration of Independence was written on marijuna paper

Ellocodetroit is a jewel in the roughEllocodetroit is a jewel in the roughEllocodetroit is a jewel in the rough
How many miles and what year?
Old 06-30-2005
Registered!!

Vinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trusted
My car is a 2001 sedan ex. It has 34,XXX miles. I have half a tank of gas, so thats not the problem. My car has been sitting in the parking lot over night but the temperature is nice outside.

How do I know if its the starter that is causing the probleM?
Old 06-30-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
That clicking IS the starter, so its prolly working fine. I would think the battery first, then maybe something like fuel delivery system. Spark, air, and fuel needed to start a car. You don't have one of those.
Old 06-30-2005
Registered!!

eharkins will become famous soon enougheharkins will become famous soon enough
the battery is dead. i've let mine die like 8 times and everytime it does that shakey needle and click thing. just jump it off and you'll be good.
Old 06-30-2005
Registered!!

scizod is an unknown quantity at this point
had similar problem....

My civic died at a light once. Did the same thing as yours. I ended up frying the coil. It was very easy to replace and the part was not that expensive. Sounds like the only thing you can do is get it towed out of there and bring it to a trusting mech. Flip him $20 and ask him to diagnose it.
Old 06-30-2005
Registered!!

DaSilverCivic will become famous soon enough
it's the battery . . . your description is exactly what happened to me a few months back. got it jump started and worked fine. few days later happened again. jump started it and got a new battery.
Old 06-30-2005
Registered!!

scizod is an unknown quantity at this point
not battery....

Originally Posted by Vinnie
Im stuck in a shopping plaza cuz my car wont start. If someone could help identify the problem that would be great. I will try to be as clear as possible with my description.

I put in the key and turn it, instead of starting I get a rapid and distinct clicking noise. The odometer flashes rapidly and my gauge needles all flutter quickly too. The dome light flashes quickly and the car does not start.

I do not know what the problem is but my voltmeter says i still have 11 left in my battery, which i thought was more than enough to start my car. Is the battery still my problem or could it be something else?

Please help!

Should I try to jump it?
He put the volt meter up to ut and he got a good reading. Also, the lights would not flash if it was the battery.
Old 06-30-2005
Registered!!

ashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by scizod
He put the volt meter up to ut and he got a good reading. Also, the lights would not flash if it was the battery.
yes it would, happened to me
Old 06-30-2005
Registered!!

wonderz is on a distinguished road
check to make sure all your wires (ie. ground wires, power wires, etc) are secured.
Old 06-30-2005
Registered!!

Thank you everyone for your help. I replaced my stock battery with an optima yellow. Car started immediatley.

Tomorrow I will bring my car in to make sure that it wasnt my alternator that broke and simply wasnt charging the battery.

Again thank you for all your help!
Old 07-01-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
The battery light should come on if there is a problem with the alternator. And that optima will bring you years of good starting and resistant to discharge cycles.
Old 07-01-2005
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)

skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all
Originally Posted by scizod

11v is not a good reading. you need atleast 11.4v to start.
Old 07-01-2005
let the devil out

eye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant future
Its battery I promise you. I had the same thing happen after I did my HU install and was playing everything for awhile without he engine running. Also it could be the alternator or bad ground that caused it