General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

breaking in my new clutch

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IDQcivic should not be trusted
breaking in my new clutch

Hey all, I finally got my new ACT clutch (HC5-HDSS) and streetlite flywheel installed yesterday. I paid $250 for the install which seemed fair. I wasn't going to attempt this on my own. This is really a great mod. The clutch pedal is a lot stiffer and has more spring to it when releaseing. It takes off really good, I almost killed it the first time, I gotta get used to it a little, this thing really grips. It doesnt bog down and hesitate like it used to. It accelerates faster and smoother due to the light weight flywheel and I can run my A/c and I still have a good amount of acceleration. I have been trying to take it easy so far and shifting slower than usual. The only problem is if I shift from 2nd to 3rd above 4'000 RPM's it makes this grinding sound that never happened before. I made sure to push the pedal all the way to the floor and it happens as soon as it goes to 3rd. If I hold the cluch in for a few seconds and let the RPM's fall a little, before shifting to 3rd, than it shifts fine. I can shift from 1st to 2nd and 3rd to 4th at all RPM's and it seems fine. 3rd is the only gear. This never happened before the clutch swap. Hopefully this is just part of breaking it in and nothing is wrong. Please post any thoughts or comments about this issue, and also any other info about breaking in a new clutch. I tried searching but didn't find too much info. I thought it might be nice to have a thread so other people could find it too, because I know this is a popular topic. Thank you.
Old 06-14-2005
Registered!!

bOoStEd042dr will become famous soon enoughbOoStEd042dr will become famous soon enough
bump for some help
Old 06-16-2005
Registered!!

I guess not too many people here know too much about clutches, neither do I, thats why I posted. Anyways, I talked to the guy who installed it and he is gogin to put honda tranny fluid back in it, I guess he used some other brand, so hopefully that is what is causing the problem. We need 75w90 weight, right?
Old 06-16-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by IDQcivic
I guess not too many people here know too much about clutches, neither do I, thats why I posted. Anyways, I talked to the guy who installed it and he is gogin to put honda tranny fluid back in it, I guess he used some other brand, so hopefully that is what is causing the problem. We need 75w90 weight, right?
No... 75-90 is rear end oil. Use like 5W-30 or better yet... Honda MTF
Old 06-16-2005
Premium Member

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
honda mtf is the only way to go. the grinding is a syncro not doing its job well enough. this is probably related to the non honda mtf your guy used. Drive it conservitably <spelling for a few hundred miles. It should be broken in by then.
Old 06-16-2005
Registered!!

OK I just got off the phone and talked to the guy who did the install, I guess he used a 90 weight, which is the shop brand. I figured he would have used Honda MTF but didn't ask. I even checked the manual and it says the Honda MTF is like a 30 weight. Anyways, Since its a thicker weight oil, I guess thats why I am having the problem at higher RPM's. Anyways, I am bringing it back in Saturday and he is putting in the Honda MTF. By then I should have several 100 miles on it, and be really ready to see what this thing has. I accidentally took off a little quick today, and it barked the tires like I never heard my car do, so I could imagine what it does after its completely broken in and I launch at like 4,000 RPMS.
Old 06-16-2005
Premium Member

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
is that the extreme pressure plate and street disc? or is that the heavy duty plate and street disc. I am going to need a clutch soon and have been shopping.
Old 06-16-2005
Registered!!

I got the Heavy duty pressure plate with organic street disc. Its good for 223 ft/lbs torque. I don't think this baby's gunna slip! Its a good all around kit for both street or the strip, and doesn't effect daily driving, but performs when you need it to. I bought it like a year ago from here from SLP, just finally now got around to installing, he really does have some good prices. It was in the vendor or group buy section on here where I found the deal... I guess my stock clutch wasn't even that bad, at 90'000 miles I thought it would be shot, but other than a couple heat spots, it would have still lasted, but nevertheless I am so glad I put the ACT setup on.
Old 06-18-2005
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
ok the manual says that if you don't have any other fluid to use 10-30 or 30 weight oil and then IMMEDIATELY change it to honda MTF. go get a refund from the idiot who installed your stuff. if my mechanic used something other than honda mtf i'd kill him and he knows it. thats why your crap is grinding. i swear it.
Old 06-19-2005
Registered!!

OK he changed it to 10w30 and it still does it, I really hope doing that didnt mess up my trans, I am pissed because I told him to order the MTF from Honda, I was even gunna pay extra for it, and I saw him just put regular motor oil in, I was like WTF? He said he called Honda and they told him to just use regular oil. I guess its the last time I'm taking my car there.... Like the old saying goes, if you want something done right, do it yourself... I guess I'll just change it myself...
Old 06-19-2005
Registered!!

bOoStEd042dr will become famous soon enoughbOoStEd042dr will become famous soon enough
you can use 10w30 but only if it's for a shorter distance....not a good idea. I had to once for like two days and my transmission shifted horrible! A few days before I put a new short shifter adapter on and I was amazed by how easy my car was to drive. A few days later I decided to change it and someone ended up taking my quarts of mtf so i had to use 10w30 and it was hell trying to shift gears!!!!
Old 06-19-2005
Registered!!

truehonda has a spectacular aura abouttruehonda has a spectacular aura about
Whatever you do, DO NOT USE SYNTHETIC or else the trans will die.
Old 06-19-2005

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
go buy the Honda MTF. take it back to him and say "here, your gonna do this one for no charge." if he bitches, call a lawyer and make him sweat it. your tranny is suffering right now. don't let him get away with it. especially not twice.
Old 06-19-2005

btw make sure you watch his *** do it. watch him the whole time. seriously. its amazing what a mechanic can do right when you watch him.
Old 06-19-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
flotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to behold
Could be a bad synchro.. some at least its not popping out of gear like some of the RSX guys are pissed about.

Last edited by flotsamm; 06-19-2005 at 05:51 PM.
Old 06-24-2005
Registered!!

Well I had him put the Honda MTF today on my lunch break and drove it around on my lunch break and it seemed better, but only time will tell once the fluid gets a chance to relubricate all the moving parts.
Old 06-24-2005
Registered!!

I drove home from work, and no more grinding, I am so relieved. I am glad it was just the fluid, I just wish the right fluid was put in from the start. So if anyone finds this thread, make sure you use Honda MTF in the tranny, which is what I would have done if I did it myself.